Camera Tripod, rods and mini rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketless

Reaction score
I found a camera tripod for $15,
A chuck from my old Sears lathe fits the screw on the tripod for use of rods and. 1/2 inch I.D. Black pipe fits perfectly in it too, so I mounted a 20-20 rail to the pipe with a couple of bolts.
If need be I can use tent stakes on the feet of the tripod

Attachments

• EF864764-77DA-41DB-8348-75D14913C7AA.jpeg
    EF864764-77DA-41DB-8348-75D14913C7AA.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 64
  • C06DAFAA-122F-4C5C-8D81-DF7DFAEEBBFF.jpeg
    C06DAFAA-122F-4C5C-8D81-DF7DFAEEBBFF.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 68
We just started using camera tripods for our LPR. Turns out they need tie downs or weights. An Estes D motor bounced one enough to tip it over.
For low power on a low to medium wind day with a 4 ft ROD, IMO you are okay.
As soon as you put an 80/20 or larger rail on it, or a longer rod, I’m with @Handeman . Unfortunately most camera tripods are like yours and don’t have the “spread” to be really stable.

One or two one gallon jugs filled with beverage of choice (for summer, freeze up some punch to enjoy AFTER you finish launching when it melts) and rigged onto a harness to hold the tripod down would do nicely. Some tripods actually HAVE hooks for attachment for just this purpose.

Wish you many straight (and in this case VERTICAL!) trails.

When I take my boys out to the park with our camera tripod, I use 1 of those screw-in-ground dog tie-out anchors centered below with a bungee cord holding down the tripod. I had a park ranger stop by our launch site once to reminisce when he saw us out there and he commented on how happy our tie-down made him.
I can post a pic if I'm not describing it well.

I agree, you need a weight or tie down. I have a tripod with a rod and the first time I tried it it tipped over. Fortunately after the rocket had left the pad.

Back