Build Thread - Seraphim - Level 3 Certification Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, Jimmy, it was great seeing you again. We'll go back to that field once the soybeans are harvested and hopefully have a better time.

Earlier than planned, but since it was just discontinued, I picked up an L1365M from BMS this morning. I probably will be flying the Seraphim on this motor at next year's Red Glare to give as many people as possible the chance to see the L1365M in action.
We will go back again and it will be many flights like we had in May 2021.
1365.0 Newton Thrust in the "L" motor with a 3.5 second burn and an M1500 with 1508 Newton thrust 3.5 burn time with Mojave green exhaust will be nice to see. Have you ever flown an "L"?

1365.0 Newton Thrust in the "L" motor with a 3.5 second burn and an M1500 with 1508 Newton thrust 3.5 burn time with Mojave green exhaust will be nice to see. Have you ever flown an "L"?
Just to let you know , your Jolly Logic Chute Deployer and Chute bag arrived here today. :clapping: 📬

I flew the Seraphim on an L1520T for its final test flight with the GPS tracker on board. It was pretty great - it's a fast-burn blue motor with a web thick enough to burn for a little over two seconds.

Seraphim will be getting one small upgrade for its two planned flights at Higgs this season: I will be adding an Eggtimer wifi switch to the tracker bay to allow me to turn the tracker on and off while it is enclosed in the nose. Previously, I had to activate the tracker before enclosing it, causing battery to be wasted during the completion of flight prep and the long walk out to the away cells. Now, I will be able to wait to activate the tracker until the rocket is on the launch pad.

I flew a AT L1256WS. Very solid performing motor and just under a 1:1 flame to rocket ratio.

My rocket is a 1/4 scale Viking 7 sounding rocket. 8" diameter, 144" tall, weighed 62lbs and apogee of 2,150 feet.

Screenshot_20220806-103720_Video Player.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-103744_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-103744_Video Player.jpg
    859.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
On Saturday Febuary 4th 2023 at MDRA ESL 289 , John Stern is getting his 14 foot Seraphim rocket ready to fly on an Aerotech L 1256-SW motor. A successful flight reaching an Altitude of 5373 feet recorded by the Strata logger. A great flight it was and landed with no damage. Well done John. Video is coming soon.

Attachments

• DSCF5291.JPG
    DSCF5291.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5272.JPG
    DSCF5272.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5271.JPG
    DSCF5271.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5270.JPG
    DSCF5270.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5268.JPG
    DSCF5268.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5267.JPG
    DSCF5267.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
The next flight will be at Red Glare, on an L1365M. This is one of the motors that got semi-discontinued by Aerotech, so I want to give as many people as possible a chance to see it.
4870 NS Sparky will be a great show. Had a great time last Saturday John. It was a Perfect day for flying and Seraphim was very impressive. Are you planning on going to ESL290?

Attachments

• High Power Rocket L motor in 14 foot rocket. MDRA event ESL 289.mp4
    4.4 MB
Good. Im sure your roster will be a good one. 4.0 29mm Iris is going up on a G motor for sure this time. I think maybe get 600 feet maybe at 2 pounds 5 ounces. Also I should have Drago ready to go by then.

Attachments

• iris 29mm 4.0 68inch.JPG
    iris 29mm 4.0 68inch.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 0
Takeoff looks great. Guessing this flew on Sunday. How were the winds and how far did it drift.
I was down there Friday but couldn't make it Sunday due to we had our local launch (PARA) Sunday.

Takeoff looks great. Guessing this flew on Sunday. How were the winds and how far did it drift.
I was down there Friday but couldn't make it Sunday due to we had our local launch (PARA) Sunday.
The wind on Sunday was bad in the morning but better in the afternoon. I arrived early but takeoff wasn't until about 2:00. It was actually a bit sad to see Red Glare end just as things were starting to pick up more. My Eggfinder said it was about a 1500 foot walk from the flight line to the landing site.

Back