Build Thread: Estes Bull Pup 12D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messedupryan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to this, but I rather enjoy seeing other people's build threads and I thoroughly enjoy them. I'm just learning, so I am not trying to instruct anyone here, and I always appreciate feedback! Here goes nothing...

I've been focused on bigger/heavier rockets for myself and my daughter asked me today to make her one. I'm a big clumsy guy and I don't deal well with small tubes, so right out the gates I said no to half her choices. At 1.33" this one seemed like it could be kinda fun. (I totally overlooked the small forward fins that I am sure to make an absolute mess of!)

She'd already decided this will be red, I am thinking a darker cherry red with a matte finish. Got to work on it right away and noticed there is no motor retainer clip. I found a few helpful threads on the subject:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-bullpup-motor-retainer.163516/https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-bull-pup-12d-motor-retention.62241/https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-bullpup-complete.75462/BullPup_ - 1.pngBullPup_ - 2.pngBullPup_ - 3.png

Looks like I'll just be relying on friction to hold motors in. Next, I've got more plastic to cut. I about removed my thumb last week cutting the fin slots on the V2, went in much more prepared this week.
BullPup_ - 4.pngBullPup_ - 5.png

Got the motor mount assembled/glued. Now I wait for things to dry, and shop for a kit for me!
BullPup_ - 6.png

Last edited:
One modification I would suggest you do is use a BT 20 to BT 50 centering ring (The same ring that is used for 24mm thrust rings) to center the motor tube in the tail cone. It will help keep the motor tube center, and will add strength to the motor tube if you decide to use friction fit.

The centering rings appear to have the retainer cutout, but the instructions you showed in the pic don't call it out. Weird. I assume you'd know if you have it or not, so I'd say if you want one, grab it out of an extra kit (you have to have one at this point!!!) or just friction fit as you plan.

A few thoughts on motor retention via tape:

1: You can add a thrust ring easily to the bottom of a motor by wrapping tons of tape to the bottom. This isn't you're issue.

2: If you want to retain the motor via friction fit at the ejection phase, you can put too much and make it a sticky mess when pulling the motor. I usually find it is best to pull the motor ASAP if using friction fit for holding it in. I usually do it while walking back to the truck.

3: If the motor tube and motor extend far enough out the bottom, simply wrapping tape around both works well vs. a tight motor to tube friction fit many times for ABC rockets in my experience.

The Bullpup is a great rocket, so I hope you enjoy the build and flying it. I'm going to have to see if mine came with a motor clip or not, as I don't recall!!!

Sandy.

If you want to try a challenging paint pattern, red and white, see the vintage Centuri Bulldog (AGM 83-A) face card for inspiration...

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/cen5354.htm
cen5354@.gif

Yews, always remove the tape while the motor is warm! Also DO NOT USE BLUE TAPE (and Frog tape). Those types of tape loose their grip when they get warm. Just regular white/yellow masking tape is ideal for friction fitting. (I would not recommend dollar store tape either). White/Yellow tape actually grips better when it gets warm (that's why it can leave a sticky mess on your motors if you wait to long to remove them.

Spent the morning sanding down the nose cone and adding the clay to the cone. Then I strapped it into the fin jig I picked up to try to see if I can make these things a bit cleaner.
BullPup_Day2 - 1.pngBullPup_Day2 - 2.pngBullPup_Day2 - 3.png
Not upset with how the fins attached. Now for the fillets.
BullPup_Day2 - 4.pngBullPup_Day2 - 5.png
Really enjoying this kit so far. It is a nice thing to work on while weather isn't cooperating.

That thing is looking nice Ryan! You guys are going to like the Bullpup for a general all-around fun flyer. Can't wait to see what your daughter comes up with for a paint job!

I'm also really glad you started this thread, actually. You have inspired me to break out the 'Pups!

I have two of these things; One I built almost 25 years ago when I became a REBAR, and another one still in the box.

The old one popped a fin at some point and needs a replacement, which will be especially easy since I painted the whole thing olive green (rare Army version of the Bullpup, I guess 😜), the other just needs to be built. It's going to get the Bulldog scheme like @GlenP suggested. Might have to name it PuppyDog...

Thanks to both of you for the motivation and keep up the good work!!

Mike

I'm also really glad you started this thread, actually. You have inspired me to break out the 'Pups!
Thanks to both of you for the motivation and keep up the good work!!

We're having a blast, there are SO many good ideas and people around here. Glad we are able to contribute in a small way :)

Perhaps one of my top 3 favorite Estes Rockets

My daughter has a good eye, she picked this one out!

I'm a big clumsy guy and I don't deal well with small tubes, so right out the gates I said no to half her choices. At 1.33" this one seemed like it could be kinda fun. (I totally overlooked the small forward fins that I am sure to make an absolute mess of!)
Don't fret! With small parts, use wood glue, take your time to position and readjust as needed. If your hands are shaky, brace them against something like the table or on a book (the rocket lying between the spines of two books may make sense) and if your sight isn't so good, use a magnifier or 2.00+ reading glasses (available at dollar stores!).

I Ihink yours was the first thread I read and linked! I don't have an extra retainer handy, so I am going to just build it stock. I'm gonna need to start collecting some "extras" of things in the future methinks.

You can pretty easily make engine hooks from the metal spine in some windshield wiper blades. I just did that myself and it worked great!

Looks like I'll just be relying on friction to hold motors in.

I didn't realize the Bullpup didn't come with any retention. I am not a fan of friction fit, but ya do what ya gotta do I guess.

I used Rocketarium 18mm aluminum retainer on mine, because I thought it matched the black'n'white stock color scheme nicely.
Mostly a cosmetic choice on my part, coupled with strong preference for positive motor retention:
BullPup 2.jpg

https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Motor-Retainers/18-mm
Perhaps one of my top 3 favorite Estes Rockets

I liked it so much, I ordered two (2) more, to build in a different color scheme!

The Bullpup is awesome, one of my most reliable flyers. Mine is so beat up & heavily repaired but she still goes up laser straight. Still rocking the friction fit motor retention but when this bird finally gets retired or destroyed the next one built will have a hook installed. Looking forward to seeing how yours finishes out.

She flew.
She landed.
She flew again.
She was amazing.
She now has a name.

Meet Owlette One
0BA436AA-5BDE-4FD1-B44F-FC2D51378996.jpeg

A wise man once said, “You can either watch the rocket, or shoot the video. You can’t do both.” From 4 flights I have but an 8 second clip. I'll upload it and share a bit later. Today was a LOT of fun.

Back