BSG Laser torpedo-Vintage kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regent

Reaction score
Kinda liked building the exact same kit as I did as a kid. The original was lost on the first flight.

Better luck for this one I think.

cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_210702.jpg
    IMG_20200514_210702.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 51
very nice, can you share a picture of the face card? Does the box have a picture of the un-released Cylon Raider kit on the side? Do you think the decals are still good, or do you plan to print your own?

yes, here is the box, I also at the time purchased the buck rogers, which is now in the box till I build balsa fins for it.

Yes going with the original decals, who knows but I'll find out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_143904.jpg
    IMG_20200516_143904.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200516_143924.jpg
    IMG_20200516_143924.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200516_143935.jpg
    IMG_20200516_143935.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200516_143954.jpg
    IMG_20200516_143954.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 37
Suggestion: Scan the old decals into your computer first.
That way if they are not viable you still have a scan you can use to home print your decals.
Before applying the old decals cut out a small test piece, like a logo, and see if it holds together or not.
If it breaks apart you might be able to salvage the rest with a clear coat, either a decal solution or a clear spray.
And then there's always Stickershock and Tango Papa.
Good luck!

yes, here is the box, I also at the time purchased the buck rogers, which is now in the box till I build balsa fins for it.

Yes going with the original decals, who knows but I'll find out.

nice collection so far. You just need the Star Wars Proton Torpedo to go with these!

I wonder if anyone ever saw what the cylon raider model kit actually looked like, I wonder why they decided not to release it, I never really heard that story.

I didnt know there was a star wars version of it. Now I have to have it...

When I was a kid I had the Space1999 eagle kit and the Draconian Marauder. Really poor performers. to heavy.

Suggestion: Scan the old decals into your computer first.
That way if they are not viable you still have a scan you can use to home print your decals.
Before applying the old decals cut out a small test piece, like a logo, and see if it holds together or not.
If it breaks apart you might be able to salvage the rest with a clear coat, either a decal solution or a clear spray.
And then there's always Stickershock and Tango Papa.
Good luck!
Scan the fins too

the rocket is already built. I just cant decide if I want to just shoot paint or not.

I always primer but this one and vintage balsa. got me in a quandary.

According to post #52 on this thread, Universal did not like the prototypes.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-kits-should-estes-bring-back.148089/page-2#post-1817658Maybe too many design changes to achieve stable flight?

Well, I guess I can try to find a cardstock paper model online and kitbash my own!

EDIT: found one, but won't derail this thread. when I get around to it, I will start my own in the cardstock forum. WIll probably have to add a long through tube and cone, kind of like the TIE fighter model and maybe some extra fins, will figure something out.

https://jleslie48.com/bg/index.html
Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 10.31.28 AM.png
CylonRaiderPaperModel

Last edited:
Before attempting to use old decals, you can save yourself some grief by always pre-emptively giving them a coat of Microscale's Liquid Decal Film.

1589738547383.png

Good idea K'Tesh! I've had old decals disintegrate on me and some sort of clear coat helps. You just have to trim all the way to the color when using.

I have been meaning to pick some decal aids up, been having some trouble with some of the older rockets I've been finishing up.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Does anyone know if the sell it at Hobbytown, would rather pick it up tomorrow than do online shoping. Shipping's been slow from some places.

Is Tango Papa, still shipping decals, Need to pick up 3 sets for some clones that are in primer.

Blue Bird Zero, Hornet, Cherokee D/E (wish I could get a set of the Estes Cherokee E, like the blue instead of the red)

Back