Blue Ninja video/slow motion + regular speed + flight + sound.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danc

Reaction score
This is a test video I put together today with a different camera. I got a bit of blur once the rocket gets moving but I think it's still pretty good. File size is about 800K

The slow motion part does not include sound only the normal speed segment. This should load fine in Windows Media Player, it's converted from the Motion JPEG format and compressed.

Comments welcome please.
Video

Interesting how the flame veers sideways about 6 seconds into the video, then wiggles a bit before finally straightening out. The igniter clips can be seen falling away about the same time. Do you think they are related?

I've noticed that on other videos I've done too. I think it's the igniter plug not simply popping out but rather sliding out from one side or the other. I guess....

Originally posted by danc
I've noticed that on other videos I've done too. I think it's the igniter plug not simply popping out but rather sliding out from one side or the other. I guess....

I've also noted that exhaust "wiggle" repeatedly in your videos. I've watched rockets for over 40 years and never realized that happened. You're probably right about the plug effect.

I wonder if it occurred with the old "tissue paper tamped in against a single wire" igniter. I still have many of those. Or if you've been around long enough, with a coil of nichrome and tissue paper.

I also noted in some ignitions how the blast deflector glows momentarily where the exhaust hits it. That's hot! Always suspected it, but never saw it.

This is a great series. Thank you.

Yeah you can see the red spot quite well on the mercury redstone launches. Something else to note is that my blast deflector plate started out flat and has warped severely after 100 launches or so. I can also see scorch marks on the underside of it.

PS I think when I was a kid in the 80s the instructions for inserting the igniter just said to put a piece of masking tape over the end of the motor nozzle to hold in the solar igniter. Plugs are MUCH better.

Back