Blue Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
I'm just finishing up building a der Red Max and I love the look of it. I'm thinking about getting another kit of it and paining it blue and white and putting RAF decals on it and calling it a Blue Max. Has anybody done this and made their decals available? Other than the round RAF symbol and perhaps a 'Keep Calm and Launch On' poster on it I lack inspiration for the other decals.

I actually have done 7 different colored”Max” rockets
The original red,
Reverse colored Black Max,
White max with Sublime green nose,
Blue Max navy blue with white nose and decals,
Orange Max orange and black with a Halloween themed decals,
Green Max with Kelly green body and white nose and decals
Yellow Max yellow body dark Yellow nose and decals

Sticker shock made me the decals custom wording on each and colors
Each one say the name listed above

...inspiration for the other decals.

I have always thought the DER RED MAX was sort of a loosely-based homage to the WWI German flying ace, the Red Baron and his infamous Fokker Dr.I triplane, although he flew other planes as well. So, who was his nemesis, flying for the British Crown? The WWI Flying Ace in his Sopwith Camel, of course...just an idea for inspiration, if you want to design your own decals. (then there's the Hello Kitty Pink MAX on the model rocket building blog)

The Jolly Roger was the flag of pirates, so I guess the British Royal Navy (flying the Union Jack flag) or colonists would have been trying to catch them, if you want to dig up some nautical history for more inspiration. Sounds like a neat project.

snoopy.jpg

Last edited:
Albert Ball VC was Britain's leading fighter ace of WWI, and was acknowledged by Richthofen as such. 44 kills, died on the Western Front in 1917.

...should just add for clarity that Ball did not shoot down Richthofen. There's theories he was actually killed by a shot from the ground from Australian troops in an area he was flying over - so if you want to build a rocket acknowledging his actual nemesis, perhaps it should feature the Federation Star / stars of the Southern Cross.

Roy Brown was given credit for the shoot down of the Red Baron. There were several bullet holes in the bottom of the Fokker DR-1. The Baron had at least one bullet entry from the bottom that went through his body, perhaps from ground fire.

Here is a Purple Max my sweetheart and I built.
Decals by Mark at Stickershock.

Attachments

• IMG_20190602_160955.jpg
    IMG_20190602_160955.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 57
I have always thought the DER RED MAX was sort of a loosely-based homage to the WWI German flying ace, the Red Baron and his infamous Fokker Dr.I triplane, although he flew other planes as well. So, who was his nemesis, flying for the British Crown? The WWI Flying Ace in his Sopwith Camel, of course...just an idea for inspiration, if you want to design your own decals. (then there's the Hello Kitty Pink MAX on the model rocket building blog)

The Jolly Roger was the flag of pirates, so I guess the British Royal Navy (flying the Union Jack flag) or colonists would have been trying to catch them, if you want to dig up some nautical history for more inspiration. Sounds like a neat project.

View attachment 386238

Attachments

• 3693F080-B899-4414-814A-6AAA53A09F3A.jpeg
    3693F080-B899-4414-814A-6AAA53A09F3A.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 35
Back