Blasts from the Past

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid I also flew model rockets. But, I was also a sci-fi nut (aren't we all) and wanted some "display" models as well. I bought these flying models and never flew them.

The first is a Space 1999 Eagle from Centuri, if I recall. It's basically a big-ass plastic nose cone that was meant to sit atop a body-tube that had wide fins. Mine is missing a landing gear pod, but I'll bet if I rummage through enough boxes in my basement, it'll turn up.

Next is the Estes Star Wars TIE Fighter. The front window pops out, and you slide it onto a body tube, and it acts as the fins.

And last is the Estes Star Wars X-Wing. This one could fly without additional pieces, as it was meant to be built around a body tube (BT-20 I am guessing) and the parachute was expected to pop out from the front.

These are all in rough shape, but I also assume that anyone that *has* flown these has them in even rougher shape, as they were all pretty fragile. Now-a-days I adhere to KISS policies. Nosecone, body tube and some fins, that's it.

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5157.JPG
    IMG_5157.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5158.JPG
    IMG_5158.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5159.JPG
    IMG_5159.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5160.JPG
    IMG_5160.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5161.JPG
    IMG_5161.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5162.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5163.JPG
    IMG_5163.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5164.JPG
    IMG_5164.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
Years ago I flew my old xwing after a refresh. The motor mount seemed tight but gave way on launch, leading to receipt of the dreaded sink eye from the RSO as it went unstable off the rod and crashed beside the pad. The old glue paper plastic bond gave out so be sure to reinforce.

Good Lord! How cool is that? Looks like a bunch 'o' work to me! What does it fly on?
Thread here on the forum. Not that hard of a PMC. It flys on a C11 0 with top portion of the paper casing cut off. Don't show to a pink book lawyer as modifying motors is strictly forbidden under the law. ;)

Oh, I swear I have never, ever modified a motor. Oh heavens forbid! I would rather suffer in, wait, hand me that saw. No, the gold plated specially non sparking one. Now, where were we?

Back