Blackhawk R&D 5.5" Standard ARM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I did not find my orbital sander but I did find my grinder, however I do not believe that it would be a good tool.

...after trying to scrape some paint off, I reached for the 1/3 sheet sander and loaded a heavy grit paper into it...and got busy!

I would hope to have all of the airframe components cleaned, and parts cut to length by this weekend.

Johnnie

View attachment SA_TRF 4.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 5.JPG

Moving along a little faster than I thought things would, I managed to hook up with an ol' friend who graciously cut my tubes for me starting with the shortest cut first...(pic 1)

...and finishing with the sanded airframe, or the ugliest cut (pic 2).

So the restoration is moving along, they sit ready for the rest of the paint to be removed (pic 3).

Johnnie

View attachment SA_TRF 6.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 7.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 8.JPG

Looks good. At least you know now that you'll have a really smooth base when it comes time to paint it. Should be a breeze.
Reed

Looks real good Johnnie. That thing will be ready for paint before you know it.

Thanks Reed and Kyle...

I am sort of 'snowballing' with this project, I have put the word out, that if I can collect enough cash, I might just hammer the new improved Strong ARM @ ST2008 on an M load, possibly the M1882. Of course all of this depends on whether 1) I can get enough cash, 2) if I get it built, and unlike the last two Southern Thunders, 3) I actually get to attend the launch this year.

Johnnie

Thanks Reed and Kyle...

I am sort of 'snowballing' with this project, I have put the word out, that if I can collect enough cash, I might just hammer the new improved Strong ARM @ ST2008 on an M load, possibly the M1882. Of course all of this depends on whether 1) I can get enough cash, 2) if I get it built, and unlike the last two Southern Thunders, 3) I actually get to attend the launch this year.

Johnnie

Johnnie, I was talking with my dad about attending a Souther Thunder. If I make it you are more than glad to borrow the case. I can even bring the load with me if needbe.

Ben

johnie can you do a quick paint or just tell me the dimensions of the tubes? What is the recovery space in the lower half from that bulkhead to the top of the lower tube. THen the length of the upper tube. (thought I would do some tinkering with it)

Ben

I'll give this my best descriptive, bear with me.

1st picture shows the proposed bulkhead mounting location (dual break/dual deploy) It would mount flushly to the 33" long motor tube. It would also serve as motor retention for the possible 30.9" long Loki hardware. I am thinking here that it would be nice to know exactly how much case would actualy fit inside the motor tube...so I would need a measurement from the thrust ring forward...

2nd picture indicates how deep my proposed avionics bay would recess into the airframe at the dual break point (drogueless, shockcord only).

3rd picture, with the two key components shown together, it is evident I need to employ some serious space management...

...this is pretty much what I have to work with here...

Johnnie

View attachment SA_TRF 10.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 11.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 12.JPG

ok. What is the length of the other "silver" tube? Why not use that since it looks about 2" longer? Also, what size main are you going to use? I think if this thing weight 30lbs or less, go with a 10 foot top flight chute. That thing and 50 feet of 1" TN, can fit in 15" (I can with a quickburst Dbag) do that means your main bay need to be 27" long if the nosecone has a 6" shoulder and the ebay is 6".

Ben

The tube shown is the longest airframe at 33", 3" longer than the other...

I have not chosen a main chute yet, that will come when I get further in the build and I have better knowledge of the final weight guesstimates.

Johnnie

so what is the length of the tube around the fins?

so its

fin piece:xxx
drouge: 33"
main: 30"

so what is the length of the tube around the fins?

so its

fin piece:xxx
drouge: 33"
main: 30"

11"

Here is what I am considering:

Borrow/donate (cut) a 3" section of tube from the 30" length of airframe. Mount it on the coupler tube in front of the fins; that coupler is 9" long. That will leave me 6" of coupler left to mount the 33" airframe, and gains me 3" of drogue space. I need to see if losing 3" in the main area is going to hurt me, like I have stated, I have not picked out a main chute...I would hate to rob usable space from the main airframe if it won't work "know what a mean" (In my best Ernest voice)?

This will allow me to keep all sport scale dimensions in tact.

What does that do for the 27" airframe that is left over? well, the nosecone consumes 4" of it with the shoulder, and my avionics bay consumes another 5.625" on the other end leaving me 17.375" to cram a mainchute and 30+ feet of 1" tubular nylon cord.

11"

Here is what I am considering:

Borrow/donate (cut) a 3" section of tube from the 30" length of airframe. Mount it on the couplter tube in front of the fins; that coupler is 9" long. That will leave me 6" of coupler left to mount the 33" tube, and gains me 3" of drogue space. I need to see if losing 3" in the main area is going to hurt me, as like I have stated, I have not picked out a main chute...I would hate to rob usable space if it won't work "know what a mean" (In my best Ernest voice)?

This will allow me to keep all sport scale dimensions in tact.

What does that do for the 27" airframe that is left over? well, the nosecone consumes 4" of it with the shoulder, and my avionics bay consumes another 5.625" on the other end leaving me 17.375" to cram a mainchute and 30+ feet of 1" tubular nylon cord...whew boy, is it getting stuffy in here or what?

ok I see. Honestly, you can fit a 10 foot topflight main with 50 feet of 1" TN in 17" so you can go up to say 12 feet. I really don't think this thing loaded will be more than 40lbs.

Johnnie, have you considered cutting the nosecone? Take off the bottom platic "bulkhead" and slide in a wood bulkhead as far as your hand will go. You could gain 6-8" in that nosecone. I think you might be better off doing that.

Then proceed with adding a 3" piece.

Ben

Alright, here it is in a nut shell, I have had the cut made and I am now committed:

1st Pic is of the donated cut from the 30" airframe which of course is now @ 27"

2nd Pic: Shows how it will fit on the 9" coupler tube, just in front of the 11" fin can airframe...

3rd Pic indicate the room acquired with the 33" airframe resting on top of the new piece...

I have gained a combined 7.5" X 5.5" of drogue space at the 1st seperation point for dual deployment (as indicated by the pencil mark in pic 4).

Since I am committed due to the fact the cut has been made, it is time to make it work.

Johnnie

View attachment SA_TRF 13.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 14.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 15.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 16.JPG

The bonus is, that by adding the 3" section and the 33" of airframes together, I have a break point at 36" on the strakes as seen in pic 1...

Which falls real close to the step change in the strakes noted in pic 2...

So as it turns out, I will end up with 12" of strake on the main payload, and 36" of strake on the booster/drogue section...

Johnnie

View attachment SA_TRF 17.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 18.JPG

Johnnie, that looks cool. I know you are set on scale but I would sand that strake down so the smaller piece is ontop. That is going to make things alot easier.

Ben

Johnnie, that looks cool. I know you are set on scale but I would sand that strake down so the smaller piece is ontop. That is going to make things alot easier.

Ben

They will mate very well before I am done... :dork:

Johnnie

Can't wait to see it! Also, what oz. FG is going on it?

Ben

The original airframe has a layer of GL Kevlar sock and glass sock. The strakes will be tip-2-tipped with 6oz. glass, which from past experience is nie an indestructable combination...

Johnnie

The original airframe has a layer of GL Kevlar sock and glass sock. The strakes will be tip-2-tipped with 6oz. glass, which from past experience is nie a indestructable combination...

Johnnie

ok. www.cstsales.com

They have some 5.8oz CHEAP and my dad bought some 2.8oz that has the finest weave I have seen!! Its the best combo for a good finish. Just making some comments as you post since this is going to be an awesome build! ;)

Ben

ok. www.cstsales.com

They have some 5.8oz CHEAP and my dad bought some 2.8oz that has the finest weave I have seen!! Its the best combo for a good finish. Just making some comments as you post since this is going to be an awesome build! ;)

Ben

I picked up 50+ yards of 6oz glass from work a few years back, and it did not cost me a dime...I will probably pick-up some 2oz localy for veiling...

Johnnie

Hey, what's that orange and white rocket in the upper left corner of this photo called?

IMG_1154.jpg

Hey, what's that orange and white rocket in the upper left corner of this photo called?

That is my first NorthCoast Rocketry kit produced by Estes, the Lance Beta. First rocket that I tried my hand at glassing...I must have done something right, it's still goin. It loves to eat H128's...

Johnnie

Recovery bulkhead set for the booster is complete except for hardware. This set will serve as motor retainer as well.

I combined all of the left over centering rings and and bulkheads from the previous rocket configuration to build the the components today.

Seen in pic 1, the components are drilled, filled and mounted...All total, there are three centering rings, and two bulkheads. Seen here in pic 2, the original holes for U-bolt recovery hardware has been filled in, and new recovery points drilled...

I used Elmers Carpenter glue to laminate and 30-minute epoxy to fill in the old unused holes.

Johnnie

View attachment SA_TRF 20.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 21.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 22.JPG

In pic 1 the clamps are removed, extra hardware installed, and the excess all-thread rod has been trimmed away...

2nd pic shows the older recovery holes, filled...

3rd pic shows the the new recovery hardware mount holes, the motor retention is dead center...

finished to date, the 4th pic shows the motor mount and fin can.

A little sanding, some hardware, and I can finish the install and complete the new booster (sans strakes).

Johnnie

View attachment SA_TRF 23.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 24.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 25.JPG

View attachment SA_TRF 26.JPG

looks good! Man I can't wait to see this thing painted with strakes and all! I was looking at a 7.5" one with a 6" MMT as a 1/2 scale (ok a little over 1/2) to put ontop of a Terrier booster.

Ben

Holy Crap!!! I just ordered the Loki 76/6000 from AL's Hobby shop!!!!!

I must be insane... :dancing: I hope my wife understands :cool:

Johnnie

Latest posts

Back