Blackhawk R&D 5.5" Standard ARM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks real nice Johnnie. Looking forward to this flight at ST2008.

Thanks Kyle, ST2008 is going to be awesome!

I made the trip South to Lee's house, and we spent a good bit of time talking rockets and Level III stuff, and got a little cought up on lost time. Since it was such an excellent day today, Lee went ahead and shot the 1st coupla coats of primer. Then he set me up for a go, and I shot my first coat of auto primer...technique, I need to learn the technique!

All the hardwork I have put into getting this vehicle ready has really begun to pay off...the airframe looked near perfect after the coupla coats, a little wet sanding, and this rocket will be ready for base white, with metallic Cobalt Blue and clear coat...

Just a few shots from Lee Brock's camera, of me applying one of the coats of primer.

Johnnie

View attachment At the paint shop 1.JPG

View attachment At the paint shop 2.JPG

View attachment At the paint shop 3.JPG

this is mighty impressive,Johnny, and if lee's involved in the paint job... it will be that much more impressive. can't wait to see it at ST08

this is mighty impressive,Johnny, and if lee's involved in the paint job... it will be that much more impressive. can't wait to see it at ST08

Coming from someone who has some of the best rocket building/finishing techniques ever, you have truly made my day...thank you Stymye!

Johnnie

Looking very good. Love the part stand. How does he move it around? An I-beam that big must weigh a couple hundred pounds.

It really weighs less than 100 total. It was a left over "I" beam from the construction of the corporate head quarters where I work. A gentleman from work converted it to an engine test stand, and then Lee purchased it from him...Lee has fired a few motors from it, but he mostly uses the stand for paint work now.

Johnnie

Sneak peek at what's to come...

Photo coutesy of Lee Brock

Johnnie

Base_coat1_TRF.jpg

Here is a better look at my new Level III rocket...

Clear2.jpg

Nose cone is seen here hanging in the background...

Clear3.jpg

I will pick her up this weekend...

photos courtesy of Lee Brock

Johnnie

Oh man that's looking really nice. Any decals or just the paint(which still looks cool)? Can't wait to watch it fly in only 2 weeks.

Oh man that's looking really nice. Any decals or just the paint(which still looks cool)? Can't wait to watch it fly in only 2 weeks.

Thanks Rocketry nut...Nope, no stickers, paint only...I'm not much for imagination...besides, there is no way I would hose up such a B-E-A-Utiful paint job with my bad sticker application.

ST2008 is only 2 weeks away...Cripes! I still have ground testing to do...

Johnnie

A little Show of the finished vehicle...

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

Bonus, my stand was painted too!!

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

What do I want...? The Big III!

IMG_1538.jpg

Thanks for following along; I'll admit to being a bit of a nut when I start one of these projects, and the BlackHawk R&D rocket is no exception...I hope to have a nice success story accompanied with lots of photos and some video in two weeks...stay tuned I guess.

Johnnie

Thanks guys, I'm down to the wire now, and it's time to tie the loose ends and fly this thing...again!

Johnnie

Small update:

I just got finished loading my M1882 while the Tripoli Huntsville Prefect looked on...

I'm not knocking anyone here, but that 6000 ns Loki motor was by far the easiest and most trouble free motor I have ever built...went together slick-as-snot.

The count down is on: Eight Days & Counting Down!

Johnnie

Small update:

I just got finished loading my M1882 while the Tripoli Huntsville Prefect looked on...

I'm not knocking anyone here, but that 6000 ns Loki motor was by far the easiest and most trouble free motor I have ever built...went together slick-as-snot.

The count down is on: Eight Days & Counting Down!

Johnnie
Glad i could provide you an excellent motor if i may brag. Loki has the best stuff on the market.

I dunno about the BEST stuff on the market. I'm partial to Aerotech loads myself.

I am looking forward to flight pics though!

Lets see, $320 for aerotechs M1315, some grains, liner, a bunch of different o-rings, seal disks....or $275 for Loki's M1882, grains, liner, four same size o-rings. I know aerotechs has a whopping 400 more newton seconds but a lot less average and more complex to assemble. Loki all the way. Check out the blue for it as well. Oh and the grains always fit the liner. All the 76mm aerotech motors i have flown had grains that were very difficult to put in the liner.

Lets see, $320 for aerotechs M1315, some grains, liner, a bunch of different o-rings, seal disks....or $275 for Loki's M1882, grains, liner, four same size o-rings. I know aerotechs has a whopping 400 more newton seconds but a lot less average and more complex to assemble. Loki all the way. Check out the blue for it as well.

Let's see, Aerotech is CA Certified, Loki is not..

Ejection charge / shear pin testing complete:

2-grams of BP and (2) #4-40 shear pins will complete the main chute recovery, and friction fit will complete the drogue recovery.

Pic 1: depicts the simple set-up; blankets to catch the cone spread before the upper airframe assembly.

Pic 2: Use of a simple slide to maitain control of the back slide of the main airframe.

Pic 3: ejection charge is wired straight thru one of the ports; again, Keeping It Simple & Stupid (KISS)

Pic 4: Even simpler, the charge was wired straight to the battery...

Pic 5: BooM! Nose cone ejects 4ft as seen here in this action shot my wife was able to capture.

Success, 2-grams and 2-pins...mark those off the check list!

More to come...

Johnnie

View attachment Main shear pin test1.JPG

View attachment Main shear pin test2.JPG

View attachment Main shear pin test3.JPG

View attachment Main shear pin test4.JPG

View attachment Main shear pin test5.JPG

So where to begin...(?)

First I'll say that pics will have to wait, as I am at work, and the camera is at home...vicious circle this work thingy.

Southern Thunder 2008 was absolutely awesome!! MC2 and HARA along with great support from the Phoenix MissileWorks gang put on the greatest show on earth (geographically speaking of course).

As I had reported here in this thread, most everything was ready before I ever made it to the field, I merely needed to put the rocket on the pad, insert an igniter and leave the rest to...'The Rocket Godz'

There were three issues with the launch controller that delyed the launch a few times, but when the button was pushed...what a show! The Standard ARM flew straight as an arrow with zero rotation...and at motor burnout she whistled all the way to appogee, a truely awesome experience!

All phases of the launch/flight worked except for main deployment...the drogue chute that was attached to the deployment bag, you know, the small chute used to pull the deployment bag off of the chute...well, it got tangled in the shock cord, and the rocket flat landed from 1,000ft...in sections of course.

a wave of emotions runs thru you on an event such as this, from sadness to anger...I felt them all, as I walked to the crash site. To add insult to injury, another Level III attempt was launched right behind my flight...it land so B-E-A-Utifully 100ft from where I crashed...I could hear the crowd cheering...

So I make it past the good L3 flight on the way to mine, thinking she don't look so bad...but I just didn't know if I had it in me to rebuild her again...she hit pretty hard.

Anyways Lee Brock was with me thru the whole flight, and he is closing in behind me by the timne we reach the site...no damage, no loose parts...nothing but a 1.5" long crack in the e-bay coupler. Devastation and that feeling of dread soon turned to hope, as both Lee and myself realized that the Standard ARM could fly again with a little help from CA...

This is a partial account of what happened, I will let the pics tell the rest of the story, and as soon as I get links to video, I will post them to...I have video, but I have to figure out how to get it from my camera to the 'puter.'

The MAWD reported a peak altitude of 6,865ft. The HA45 wiring had become dislodged from the arm/disarm switch (assumed at the time of the crash), and the unit had powered down with no report.

Just a quick brief, as I am at work, but I will tell about Sunday's events later tonite along with a good brief on one of the most bada$$ed launch pads ever made...aptly named
"Pad 39A"

I'll add the following post while I am thinking about it...

If all of these Level III shots are like mine, you'll have a slew of people to thank:

My TAP members: Walt Stafford and Max Gray, two well established Research and High Power Fliers. I have known them both for many years, and they have helped crowds of people into this insanity we call model rocketry...

My ART Director: Lee Brock, one of the finest indivduals you will ever meet...if he is at a launch you are attending, step up anD introduce yourself, he is one in a million. Art Director? Oh heck yes, he paints the finest sirframes out there, bar none!

I would like to thank Carl and Hope Hicks for Pad 39A...you'll see and hear more about this fine peice of equipment as more epople download from ST2008. Carl and Hope also have the most well stocked portable rocket shop I have ever seen...for that I owe them for igniters and 1/8" dowls that held the ignition source in place...look for them at LDRS, sit down with them and chat...before long, you will want to go home with them, they are THE coolest couple in rocketry!

To Bob Haas and Joey Wright of PMW for video and tons of support...what agreat bunch of people, ya gotta luv `em all.

To 'rocketkyle' for suggesting I make this rebuild a project for Southern Thunder in the first place, and nudging me on the right track...and for video, which I hope you were able to get (?)

To 'Kaycee' for all the help, the friendship...and yes, even for giving me your last diet Pepsi from the cooler, I owe you one.

*******Man this is like watching the freak`n Oscars ain't it?*******

To Mark Canepa, whom I managed to park right next too at ST2008...he made me an offer that even now keeps me in shock...he offered to sponsor my third attempt for TRA Level III by getting me an Aerotech M1279!!!!!!!!! Okay, so here Mark is covering Southern Thunder to do a story for Extreme Rocketry, and he has just made me one of the greatest offers evah!

This is truly one of the greatest things about this hobby; it's not the M's or N's or the Reds or the Skids, the Kits or the Scratch builds...no, it's the people! The people are what make the launch

To my wife and kids, who had to make the trip twice, because I had to try for yet a third time to get it right...they spent a total of 6-months dealing with the dust from the rebuild...and 6-hours on the road so that they could say :Woohoo...that burned real good!" They are the best ever, and are nearly as proud of me, as I was proud of my successful cert...finally.

To 'unclevanya" who offered sand peper and glue, and lots of moral support...

if anyone reading all of this drivel missed Southern Thunder 2008, all I can say "sux to be you" this was the best three-day party I have ever been at...

*****YOU KNOW THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!*****

...and how about Chris Short a.k.a. 'tbonerocketeer' who just so happened to have another Loki White M1882...very cool motor, even better vender for support and availability, thank you!

Johnnie

I'll add the following post while I am thinking about it...

If all of these Level III shots are like mine, you'll have a slew of people to thank:

My TAP members: Walt Stafford and Max Gray, two well established Research and High Power Fliers. I have known them both for many years, and they have helped crowds of people into this insanity we call model rocketry...

My ART Director: Lee Brock, one of the finest indivduals you will ever meet...if he is at a launch you are attending, step up ans introduce yourself, he is one in s million. Art Director? Oh heck yes, he paints the finest sirframes out there, bar none!

I would like to thank Carl and Hope Hicks for Pad 39A...you'll see and hear more about this fine peice of equipment as more epople download from ST2008. Carl and Hope also have the most well stocked portable rocket shop I have ever seen...for that I owe them for igniters and 1/8" dowls that held the ignition source in place...look for them at LDRS, sit down with them and chat...before long, you will want to go home with them, they are coolest couple in rocketry!

To Bob Haas and Joey Wright of PMW for video and tons of support...what agreat bunch of people, ya gotta luv `em all.

To 'rocketkyle' for suggesting I make this rebuild a project for Southern Thunder in the first place, and nudging me on the right track...and for video, which I hope you able to get (?)

To 'Kaycee' for all the help, the friendship...and yes, even for giving me your last diet Pepsi from the cooler, I owe you one.

*******Man this is like watching the freak`n Oscars ain't it?*******

To Mark Canepa, whom I managed to park right next too at ST2008...he made me an offer that even now keeps me in shock...he offered to sponsor my third attempt for TRA Level III by getting me an Aerotech M1279!!!!!!!!! Okay, so here Mark is covering Southern Thunder to do a story for Extreme Rocketry, and he has just made me one of the greatest offer evah!

This is truly one of the greatest things about this hobby; it's not the M's or N's or the Reds or the Skids, the Kits or the Scratch builds...no, it's the people! The people are what make the launch

To my wife and kids, who had to make the trip twice, because I had to try for yet a third time to get it right...they spent a total of 6-months dealing with the dust from rebuild...and 6-hours on the road so that they could say :Woohoo...that burned real good!" They are the best ever, and are nearly as proud of me, as I was proud of my successful cert...finally.

To 'unclevanya" who offered sand peper and glue, and lots of moral support...

if anyone reading all of this drivel missed Southern Thunder 2008, all I can say "sux to be you" this was the best three-day part I have ever been at...

*****You know, this thread is meaningless without pictures!!*****

...and how about Chris Short a.k.a. 'tbonerocketeer' who just so happened to have another Loki White M1882...very cool motor, even better vender for support and availability, thank you!

Johnnie

No problem! Just glad i could help and get to see 2 amazing flights from you.

Tough crowd these days...

Pic 1: My sion is holding the rocket while I skewer it with a coupla sheer pins...

IMG_1707.jpg

Photo of a photo-op with Mark Canepa of Extreme Rocketry Magazine...that is Greg Lane a.k.a. 'Landkg' of TRF walking out of frame to the right.

IMG_1708.jpg

Shouldering with one of my TAP members, Max Gray, for that 1,000ft walk to the away cell...

IMG_1710.jpg

Max is guiding the lead whilst I feed the Standard ARM onto the rail at Pad 39A...

IMG_1715.jpg

Me on the steady, Max watches for any abnormalities, and Lee Brock is working the lift...

IMG_1719.jpg

Arming the electronics...

IMG_1726.jpg

All by herself now, the Standard ARM is in the hands of 'The Rocket Godz..."

IMG_1732.jpg

After two attempts to light the M motor, and repair the ignition system, the third time was the charm, and the rocket finally left the pad...unfortunately, quicker than my wife could snap the picture...I'm looking for other pictures from people who have attended, and will post what ever it is that I find...for now I offer a smoke trail, sorry!

IMG_1734.jpg

Back