Bike (as in bicycle) question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another option is to look for a bike club in your area. Maybe someone wants to get rid of a bike they no longer use. A guy I used to work with has seven Trek or equivalent bikes. I imagine he sells one once in a while and then gets a new one to replace it. If I remember correctly he has a bike path bike, a rain bike, a mountain bike... Also, might be a good place to get advice on where to shop.

We just got our bikes tuned up by a local guy that does bike repair out of his house. Maybe someone like that would also be a good place to look for a used bike that he has refurbished.
However, Trek's lifetime replacement policy on frames only extends to the original owner. I've ridden a number of Treks over the last 30 years. I've had a couple of frames break (I'm a heavy guy), and they've always come through for me in replacing the frame. My worst problem with them is that being nice bikes they're often the targets of bike theft (or attempts (which broke one of the frames)). Remember that all bikes weigh 50 pounds... A 50 pound bike doesn't need a lock and a 10 pound bike needs a 40 pound lock. Buy the best U lock you can get with a anti-theft warranty appropriate for your bike. Registering it, photographing the serial number, and insuring it are all good ideas.

Oh... And BIKE THEIVES SUCK DONKEY A$$

However, Trek's lifetime replacement policy on frames only extends to the original owner. I've ridden a number of Treks over the last 30 years. I've had a couple of frames break (I'm a heavy guy), and they've always come through for me in replacing the frame. My worst problem with them is that being nice bikes they're often the targets of bike theft (or attempts (which broke one of the frames)). Remember that all bikes weigh 50 pounds... A 50 pound bike doesn't need a lock and a 10 pound bike needs a 40 pound lock. Buy the best U lock you can get with a anti-theft warranty appropriate for your bike. Registering it, photographing the serial number, and insuring it are all good ideas.

Oh... And BIKE THEIVES SUCK DONKEY A$$
My first "real" bike after a department store 10-speed was a Trek 360 (lower end racing bike) and it was AMAZING.
When my knees were getting bad in 1995 (lots of parkour big jumps and half-ton leg presses as a teen), instead of knee surgery I got a Trek Y bike and it was AMAZING. I biked like mad, ending with a century (hilly at the end no less) and my knees were much better.
I still ride that Y bike a few times a year and still love it every time I ride it.
Screenshot_20230214_224249_Photos.jpg

BTW- 50 seconds rule with locking your bike. Don't leave it locked and out of your sight for more than 50 seconds. I've never lost a bike living and biking in NYC.

Last edited:
Not nice bikes get stolen too. I had a Trek mountain bike that was locked up get a new owner in college. I replaced it with a pair of old "10 speeds" bought from a rummage sale for $10, made a decent riding bike out of the two and it was still stolen at the same college.

My new theory on bicycle theft prevention is to ride a fixie with eggbeater pedals. They might try to steal it, but it's unlikely they'll be able to ride it without getting thrown off.

Not nice bikes get stolen too. I had a Trek mountain bike that was locked up get a new owner in college. I replaced it with a pair of old "10 speeds" bought from a rummage sale for $10, made a decent riding bike out of the two and it was still stolen at the same college.

My new theory on bicycle theft prevention is to ride a fixie with eggbeater pedals. They might try to steal it, but it's unlikely they'll be able to ride it without getting thrown off.
That might be entertaining to watch.

I grew up with "bad elements" (a given when you grow up in a poor neighborhood and went to a local school) and among those elements were thieves and I know how they think and why they do what they do.

Some steal like an addiction as well as for the thrill. Finding an easy steal beater bike and getting away with it is fun to them.

Personally I believe in karma, so I don't do that crap.

Best advice is always assume someone is trying to steal your bike.

My "50 seconds" advice is my estimate of a bit less time than it would take a thief to spot the bike, scope the area and start on getting the lock broken off or bike freed (unless you do something silly like chain it to a straight pole). Remove 15-20 seconds for every $500 value in the bike.

When my son was going to college at Ohio University a few years ago, many students a) locked their bikes to the bike racks at their dorm, and b) had the front tires on a quick release and took the front wheel inside with them.

When my son was going to college at Ohio University a few years ago, many students a) locked their bikes to the bike racks at their dorm, and b) had the front tires on a quick release and took the front wheel inside with them.
Sometimes you'll see the seats set up with a QR and carried in as well.

Because you haven't told us what bike you got? 😆

So what did you end up with and how did it work out? (I'm a bike guy too.)
I ended up buying two Giant (ATX, I think... low end Giants) mountain bikes after the World Scout Jamboree (they don't store much between Jamborees so everything gets sold, bikes, tents, cots, etc.). My wife and I are very happy with them.

I did that with my mountain bike. It survived the dorms and was stolen when I lived in an apartment. It was just inside the door and locked with a simple chain lock. My roommate was gone and the person was in the downstairs kitchen area when I heard him. He must have already cut the lock because when I chased him out he grabbed the bike and rode off. The Ball State Police had jurisdiction for the campus and the neighborhoods immediately surrounding it, but they never showed up when I called 911.

I ended up buying two Giant (ATX, I think... low end Giants) mountain bikes after the World Scout Jamboree (they don't store much between Jamborees so everything gets sold, bikes, tents, cots, etc.). My wife and I are very happy with them.

Excellent choice and great to hear you and your wife have been enjoying them! :) 👍

I hadn't heard of Giant growing up, but got a used "TCR Aero 2" years back and I love the bike and have ridden it often.
Screenshot_20230215_091837_Photos.jpg
I'll also second @cbrarick recommendation of the Selle Italia seats (for appropriate applications).

Last edited:
Good choice, Giant makes good bikes even at their entry level. They actually make a lot of frames for other companies too. We have a lot of bikes at our house. My son has a Giant mountain bike and a low end Framed BMX bike. I have a Surly Crosstrek which I had the bike sho build for me with mid level components and a nice Brooks leather saddle. That one sees the road, bike paths, and occasionally the single-track trails. I also built up a generic full suspension frame, no real brand but built by the Giant factory. This one has X9 components and I ride it exclusively off road. This one is showing its age and the industry had adapted new standards since I built it. I have enough spare parts, but I don't know what I will replace it with yet.

My uncle gave me an early 70s Raleigh Professional, a nice steel frames road bike. I don't ride that one too much, but it means a lot to me.

My wife has entry level Specialized hardtail mountain bike and a Kona road bike, but she doesn't ride too much. My son and I ride quite a bit together.

Good choice on the Giant. My son has a Giant Revolt gravel bike that I think is an amazing value for the quality.

I'll second (third) the Selle Italia saddle recommendation. The Boost SLR is my preferred...carbon rail version on road bike and Ti railed endurance version on road/trainer bike. I have a Fizik saddle on my tribike, and I have nothing nice to say about it.

I also built up a generic full suspension frame, no real brand but built by the Giant factory. This one has X9 components and I ride it exclusively off road. This one is showing its age and the industry had adapted new standards since I built it. I have enough spare parts, but I don't know what I will replace it with yet.
The Giant factory and Giant bicycles are two different companies.
The Giant factory makes the frames for almost all brands of bikes.

I had a Selle Italia seat on my road bike for several years. Looking back, it's a shame it wasn't the right fit for me because everybody seems to love them. But it was just too narrow and caused lots of discomfort accordingly. Now I'm on a Specialized seat that's the right fit, but probably nowhere near the quality.

here's a shot of me at the summit of one of those famous French cols. Sella Italia flite saddle in white! There's no other choice for me.

Attachments

• HPIM3427.JPG
    HPIM3427.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 0
Back