Biggest/Best 'Chute for a 3" airframe?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm currently building a High Powered Model Rocket (yes, I typed that correctly) that will have a 3" main airframe for laundry and all the guts.

I'm not too concerned with vertical space, by the way - I should have around 20" or so to play with, and I'm using around 20-25' of 9/16" TN for the shock cord and a nomex protector.

Anyway, this rocket will be fairly heavy when finished. I'm gessing 10-12 lbs. And because of the design, I want a nice *gentle* recovery. No high-altitude punches with this bird anyway. Just a big, 38mm powered Model.

I've got a Top Flite 45, but I think that will be too small. I've also got Sky Angle (Classic II's) in 44 and 52. I'd feel ok with the 52, but I don't think I can squeeze it into that 3" airframe with a nomex pad wrapped around it.

Any recommendations on a 'chute?

I know it fits in a 4 inch no problem, so I would think it would still work. If not, you can just stretch out the fold along the length of the tube if you have the room.

Get a rocket rage. The 15 pound rated chute would bring that down at about 18fps, and would easily fit, and the 30 pound chute would bring it down SLOWLY (probably under 10fps), and should still fit fairly easily. I can even squeeze my Rocket Rage RRQS50 (the 50 pound rated version) into a 3" tube, though it takes a lot of space.

It really I think depends on your packing. For my L1/L2 I packed a 96" chute into a 54mm airframe - 18" of 54mm. Both deployed fine.

Edward

Latest posts

Back