Quantcast

Better ignitors for composite rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Thanks for the video. It is always good to see new and different ways of doing things. I just want to pose a question, if I may. In the subject line, you wrote "Better ..." I would like to know why you think these are better than traditional pyrogen igniters. Also, what would you do differently for level 3 motors (M, N, and O impulse). Thanks.

ExoResearch

Reaction score
I found that the consistency of ignition better. The pyrogen works great, unless it doesn't. I find that the burn time for the traditional ignitors is too short. This method burns for a longer period of time, for more finicky motors. Especially at colder temperatures and for the composite motors. Perhaps I might one day do some ignition tests with both types to see if my findings would actually hold up in a controlled environment,.

ExoResearch

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. It is always good to see new and different ways of doing things. I just want to pose a question, if I may. In the subject line, you wrote "Better ..." I would like to know why you think these are better than traditional pyrogen igniters. Also, what would you do differently for level 3 motors (M, N, and O impulse). Thanks.
I have not worked with anything larger than a G, so I can not comment on those motors.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Nothing new or better in this video, except maybe the parafilm. When soldering nichrome a special flux is needed as standard rosin core electrical solder will not do the job correctly. The paper, and wood are potential fire starters when they are ejected from the nozzle still burning. The match head is very friction sensitive, unlike many of the igniter compounds we use, and the igniters from this video might be a very tight fit through the nozzle both going in AND getting spit by motor pressure potentially plugging the nozzle causing a CATO. However all the ingredients are easy to come by.

shockie

Reaction score
If I was Estes, and I'm not,although I play like I'm Estes. I would combine the plastic hold in plug and the igniter into one piece.

Mold the plastic plug with the pyrogen on the tip and the
wires on the other end

I've been experimenting with inserting a typical Estes igniter and then pouring in a liquid thermoplastic that hardens...its not a solid per se, but it's pliable..

So its basically a molded combo igniter plug

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I was Estes, and I'm not,although I play like I'm Estes. I would combine the plastic hold in plug and the igniter into one piece.
Sounds nice but not practical. There are a whole bunch of different sized plugs, so that would mean there would be a whole bunch of different starters, the manufacturing would be more complex, blah blah blah.

Just speaking for myself, I find the existing plugs to be the easiest thing in the world. *Way* easier than the little tubes you have to use for the Q-jets, for example.

davel

Reaction score
14 minutes of video that could have been done in 2. Nichrome is not solderable with standard rosin core solder. Burning match is not generally hot enough to light may of the composite formulas. Ditto the above mentioned nozzle clogging and fire hazard.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score

wires on the other end

I've been experimenting with inserting a typical Estes igniter and then pouring in a liquid thermoplastic that hardens...its not a solid per se, but it's pliable..

I used a pin vise to drill through some of them to put q2g2's through -- it worked pretty well, but sometimes they were a bit loose.

shreadvector

Reaction score

wires on the other end

You would not be Estes, you would be Cox.