Clustering Quest 18mm Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkTheDaring

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that certain AP motors light more easily than others. Since I am foolish enough to try clustering these, which of the 18mm Quest motors are the easiest to light? Please assume that I have proper ignitors and plenty of juice in my controller. I cluster black powder motors on a regular basis and am (mostly) successful.

Thank you.

I've clustered the Black Max C12 and D16 motors, using the stock starters, and a 12v relay system. Success has been quite good, though not perfect, occasionally 1 does not light. My clusters are always capable of flying safely if 1 or 2 motors don't light (4-7 motors). I would not recommend attempting to cluster any of the WL Q-Jets (B6, C18, D20, E26), which usually take far longer to light.

I've clustered the Black Max C12 and D16 motors, using the stock starters, and a 12v relay system. Success has been quite good, though not perfect, occasionally 1 does not light. My clusters are always capable of flying safely if 1 or 2 motors don't light (4-7 motors). I would not recommend attempting to cluster any of the WL Q-Jets (B6, C18, D20, E26), which usually take far longer to light.
I’m late posting, I did a use a pair of Black Max and they lit right away, so it was a success and I’ll do it again.

Back