Balls vs XPRS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
I have the choice to go to XPRS (more vendor's and flights) or BALLS (bigger motor's). What should I go to, I have never been to either before. Any big rocket's planned for BALLS? Details...? What about XPRS (the list on the website cant be all the flights).

you can fly stuff.
at balls, all you're going to be able to do is watch.

It will be a spectator launch either way, I am flying in, not going to be bringing anything with me. It may come down to if there are any flight's but it is still early so I could make a decision.

It'd be really nice to fly at XPRS once. Besides the outrageously high waiver, I think it's around the same time as the Reno Air Races. That'd be a great trip.

They are both equal to me, XPRS has way more flights and I believe some night flights, plus XPRS has a lot of vendors, the motor's used seem to be multiple N clusters or airstart's or staging's (largest flight might be scott's N2500-N2500-L730 three stager). BALLS has only one vendor and not so many flight's but it is EX (a good CATO can be exciting if it is a safe one) and also some huge A$$ motor's.

Well I guess I dont have a choice, parent's are busy during BALLS, XPRS it is. Could I bring a 4' by 54mm diameter rocket on the plane? Best way to do it? If I carry it on should I have it packed or just carry the rocket on with me?

XPRS you launch comercial motors on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Monday is all EX day except for you can fly certified motors up to G. I'm not sure about wendesday and thrusday the ARLISS days. But XPRS is longer than Balls is. Richard Hagen should be launching his water works rocket that forms a cloud at the end of the flight. The walk on fee for XPRS is $45.

Balls you can launch comercials motor on friday. Saturday and Sunday is EX only. The walk on fee for Balls is $60.

I would go to XPRS. Which I am most likely.

Originally posted by jraice
Well I guess I dont have a choice, parent's are busy during BALLS, XPRS it is. Could I bring a 4' by 54mm diameter rocket on the plane? Best way to do it? If I carry it on should I have it packed or just carry the rocket on with me?

Taking rockets in planes isn't a big deal, ju7st don't bring any propellant ;)

I bring stuff over to BALLS from the UK each year, I have the rockets in a wodden crate, but if they fit they'd be fine in a suitcase, the airports get a bit techy if you don't have them packed as it scares the other flyers.

We put a wooden crate together in a day out of 2"x1" 's and some 4-6mm ply wood.

If you are flying with rockets let them know as you check in they may want to deal with it the same way they deal with guns and keep your Tripoli paperwork with you to prove your of no threat.

I've never had any trouble, but the more you do to help them the easier it seems to be.

Cath

I was going to say that the MARS Group bring their stuff over from the UK yearly

now as far as XPRS or BALLS, hmmmmmmmmm

I'd go for BALLS, it's a who's who of Rocketeers and lots of EX motors Flying, now all Balls needs is a higher recovery rate, errrrr, hahahahahaha

There will be vendors at BALLS and a few Burningman hangoners.

Don't forget to ask about and hit one of the Hot springs in the area ( worth it's weight in GOLD)

bring lots of water and food and water and water and a good shady hat and more water.

:)

Are you coming to Balls again this year?
What are you planning to fly?
See ya on the playa!

Originally posted by freda
Are you coming to Balls again this year?
What are you planning to fly?
See ya on the playa!

Would I miss it? :)

This year I'm just bringing over a 3 inch rocket (if i get it finished) and a 29mm min diameter rocket, the plan this time around is to arrive in the US this Saturday and have a little fun making some propellant with some very experience US rocketeers (I want to keep my fingers) then spend a few days seeing the sites before heading out to the playa on Friday.

so I now have 3 days to finish this rocket before it needs to be boxed up ready to fly.

See you out there.

Cath

Back