Looking For Things to do in Northern Nevada

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neutronium95

Reaction score
I just attended BALLS for the first time, and am hooked on flying at Black Rock. We had three days of perfect flying weather, from what I've heard that almost never happens. Next year I would like to double up and aytend either XPRS or URNUTS the week before or after BALLS. Driving back home in between the launches seems really not fun and impractical, so I'd like to stay in the area. Are there any attractions or fun hikes that people like within a few hours of Black Rock, in order to help pass the time between the launches?

Black Rock area is rich with history. Get a copy of the BLM guide to the area. Explore.

head west past Reno in to the mountains,. it's another world, really nice to get rehydrated after a week on the playa.

Lake Tahoe....take the road around.

Virginia City

Scheel's if you like awesome sporting goods stores...Reno.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ianCteCKh6qdfu5D6
+1 on lake Tahoe. I haven't done a blackrock trip yet, but I have been to lake Tahoe multiple times, and the area is absolutely beautiful. Before I decided to skip out on XPRS this year, I had originally planned to spend at least 1 night at lake Tahoe.

Float the Truckee River. Make a side trip to Tuolumne Meadows, one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Visit some of the old mining ghost towns.

The town of Truckee is fun and Donner Memorial State Park is great.

UNR has a nice rock and mineral collection if you are into that sort of thing. They also have a display of the silver pieces that the Mackay family had made from the silver from Virginia City. It's really impressive.

If you like cars, the National Automobile Museum in Reno is nice.

Definitely spend a day in Virginia City and tour the mines and mansions. Super interesting history.

Back