Available Altitudes (AGL) for Launch Sites

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tripoli Montana, midway between the thriving metropolises of Twin Bridges and Melrose, Montana. 46,000 AGL by request. Recovery is on-foot from nearest marked road.
Just had our hp event in Canada cancelled due to fire risk. Found this post and wondered if your site might be an option for us?

Wright Stuff Rocketeers, Dayton, OH
NAR 703
Federal Road HPR field near Cedarville, OH (When crops are not in the field)12,000'AGL
We also have a low/mid power field that we use in Huber Heights, OH over the summer while crops are in our HPR field
https://www.nar.org/site/section703/

Absolutely! Tim Rempel tells me that CAR insurance doesn’t cover you in the United States, but Tripoli or NAR members are more than welcome.
Our next launch is July 8.
That's great! Is there any issue with Canadians obtaining Tripoli or NAR membership? Also, do you know if border security will allow mid/high power engines to cross the border?

That's great! Is there any issue with Canadians obtaining Tripoli or NAR membership? Also, do you know if border security will allow mid/high power engines to cross the border?
There’s no issue with Canadians joining either NAR or Tripoli. In fact there are a few Tripoli prefectures in Canada. Tripoli insurance covers you in Canada too.
Bringing motors should not be an issue. I recommend not bringing regulated materials like igniters or BP. Both could really ruin your trip.
Or better yet order your motors to be delivered to me. Other Canadians have done that. But carrying them back could be a problem.

Correction: Oregon Rocketry has an FAA waiver of 20,460′ AGL with windows to ~36,000′ AGL.
The high window was something like 46k AGL but the TRA waiver police got involved.

There’s no issue with Canadians joining either NAR or Tripoli. In fact there are a few Tripoli prefectures in Canada. Tripoli insurance covers you in Canada too.
Bringing motors should not be an issue. I recommend not bringing regulated materials like igniters or BP. Both could really ruin your trip.
Or better yet order your motors to be delivered to me. Other Canadians have done that. But carrying them back could be a problem.
Hi Steve,
Thanks for offering to help us out. We're still thinking about coming down from Alberta for the Aug 12 launch. Do you know if there's a vendor on site that sells F-J engines? If not, who would you suggest we order our engines from if we were to have them shipped to you? Assuming you're attending the event of course. All of our flyers are under 18. One is looking to achieve his L1 CAR or Tripoli equivalent certification on a H and then his L2 on an I engine (not sure how the two organizations deal with each other's certifications) The other is looking for his L3 on a J354-16A (He has his L2 CAR cert.) Our daughter will be flying midPwr and the 3 other kids are flying models.
Ordinarily we would just wait for the Sullivan Lake HPr event here in September but our son is heading off to University and won't be around for it. We figure his rocket is worth a road trip and deserves to fly before next summer!
Thanks!
-Kevin

Here are the club HP launches in my area...

ClubLocationLatitudeLongitudeAltitude (Ft.)LevelMax MotorCeiling Waiver (Ft.)Field SizeGoogle Map LinkOrg.When
Central Illinois AerospaceDodds Park, Champaign, IL40.133417-88.284639578HPRClass 13,250 AGLCIA - Dodds Park, Champaign, ILBothSee Website
Central Illinois AerospaceRantoul Aviation Center, Rantoul, IL40.288884-88.143849735HPRL+10,000 AGLCIA - Chanute AFB, Rantoul, ILBothTypically April & October; see website
Fox Valley RocketeersHughes Seed Farm, Woodstock, IL42.334706-88.530475869HPRL+6,000 AGLFox Valley Rocketeers - Hughes Seed Farm, Woodstock, ILNARTypically April & November; see website
Michiana RocketryThree Oaks, MI41.776257-86.578261640HPRM12,000/16,000Michiana Rocketry - Three Oaks, MITRAMonthly, Nov thru April
Prairie StateDekalb, IL41.8739444-88.7236111892HPRClass 15,000 AGLPrairie State HPR Location - DekalbNARSpring, Fall (crop dependent - see website)
Quad Cities Rocket ClubLimerick, IL41.488167-89.500778732HPRN15,000QCRC - Limerick, ILBothMonthly (see website)
Whoosh RocketryBong State Rec Area, WI42.627844-88.159819794HPRM10,000 MSLWhoosh - Bong State Rec Area, WINARSee Website
Indiana RocketryWinter HPR Site - Tab, IN40.386175-87.5133187696HPRN16,000 MSLIndiana Rocketry Winter HPR Site - Tab, INBothTypically October - April; see website

Add St. Louis Rocketry Association, flying in Elsberry, MO. to 6k and windows to 14.5k AGL. We fly M's regularly and can support N, and probably O motors, though neither of the latter two have taken place yet to my knowledge. I imagine N's will be a thing soon as we did a group buy of 9 N motors at 70% off MSRP... :D

We can fly when the crops come out in October and until the crops go in, in the spring. I will say that the landowner is finicky about his property with respect to precipitation prior to launch dates, as such, our launches often have a go/no go at the 72-48 hour mark.

Mike Walsh

Hi Steve,
Thanks for offering to help us out. We're still thinking about coming down from Alberta for the Aug 12 launch. Do you know if there's a vendor on site that sells F-J engines? If not, who would you suggest we order our engines from if we were to have them shipped to you? Assuming you're attending the event of course. All of our flyers are under 18. One is looking to achieve his L1 CAR or Tripoli equivalent certification on a H and then his L2 on an I engine (not sure how the two organizations deal with each other's certifications) The other is looking for his L3 on a J354-16A (He has his L2 CAR cert.) Our daughter will be flying midPwr and the 3 other kids are flying models.
Ordinarily we would just wait for the Sullivan Lake HPr event here in September but our son is heading off to University and won't be around for it. We figure his rocket is worth a road trip and deserves to fly before next summer!
Thanks!
-Kevin
I will pm you Kevin.

Hi Steve,
Thanks!
-Kevin
I’m sorry I didn’t see this.
We never have a vendor but I’m always happy to receive shipments from vendors and hold them. Just please communicate with me so they don’t arrive when we’re out of town. That’s not very often.
As far as certifications go we can help you with Tripoli certifications or NAR certifications at all levels. Then CAR recognizes them according to the chart on the Tripoli website. L1 in Tripoli converts to L2 CAR, but it may be that CAR will require their HPR test before recognizing it.
However, I’m 90% sure we won’t be launching in August. It has gotten hot and dry and there are some fires burning already. The next week will probably change that to 100%. We would love to have you come fly with us. There’s never a charge but we do accept and appreciate contributions for the porta-potty, no matter how small. 😁

Back