Available Altitudes (AGL) for Launch Sites

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Desert Rocketry

Reaction score
I get people from around the country/world asking where they can launch their rockets at the altitude they need. While I know that for a few places, there are often sites closer they could launch that I just don't know about. So, unless there is already a place that has a list of this information, I'd like to start one. If you would like to add to this, please give the state, 'name', altitude, location, dates and web address of the launch site.

I will start with the location I launch at, please use this format:

California, Friends of Amateur Rocketry
Up to 50,000', higher with FAA class 3 request and FAR approval (175,000' recently granted)
Koehn Dry Lake, Mojave Desert, California
1st and 3rd Saturdays, other days and 18,000' during the week by request.
www.friendsofamateurrocketry.org

Last edited:
New Jersey, The Bridgeton Area Rocket Club (BARC)
Our launch site (120 ft. MSL) FAA authorization allows Routine flights to 5,500 ft. (MSL) and Extended flights to 8,000 ft. (MSL) when coordinated in real-time with Philadelphia Radar Approach Control.
Location: Rabbit Hill Farm (BARC High Power Launch Site) [GPS Lat: 39°27'57.42"; Long: 75°17'29.31"]
https://barc775.wordpress.com/

Special-use waiver near Las Cruces, NM, 75Kft AGL. Site is 4500ft MSL. I have had 140Kft in the past. There is a 7 NM radius (9 NM with notification of one rancher). The site is on BLM land for casual use and is not insured. Limit of 10 people and 5 vehicles per BLM agreement. Need 10 days noticed to schedule a window any time. No off-road vehicles.

Regular site near Alamogordo, NM has a 12Kft AGL waiver with ground elevation at 4300 ft. TRA insured research launches on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

TriCities Rocketeers/Tripoli Southeast WA, near Pasco, WA usually 10000' AGL (varies from time to time). Launches monthly (usually) March-Nov with 3 day June launch and 4- day Labor Day launch ( SodBlaster), pick up launches occasionally during "off" months.

Last edited:
CRMRC (Champlain Region Model Rocket Club)
NAR Section 643
Saint Albans, Vermont (upper part - just north of Burlington - Close to Montreal QC)
10K ft, up to M impulse
Launch: 3rd Saturday of every month (Sunday rain day, with prior notice / vote)

CRMRC.org

(Come for the launch, get Ben & Jerry's on the way home! :D )

Washington Aerospace Club, Mansfield, WA.
14K AGL, launches in April, Memorial Day weekend, and October, plus members can do private launches as desired.
Washingtonaerospace.org

Plus FAR 101 launches any time soccer isn't in season at 60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA. The club organizes monthly launches January-May, but you can roll your own with your own GSE any time. G power limit because of field dimensions.

Washington Aerospace Club, Mansfield, WA.
14K AGL, launches in April, Memorial Day weekend, and October, plus members can do private launches as desired.

Washingtonaerospace.org

Plus FAR 101 launches any time soccer isn't in season at 60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA. The club organizes monthly launches January-May, but you can roll your own with your own GSE any time. G power limit because of field dimensions.
Noting that this thread, and therefore Eric's post, is over two years old....WAC no longer has access to the Mansfield site. They do not currently have a wavered site.

Also, there will be an organized Sixty Acres launch in November which is scheduled for the 14th this year.

Noting that this thread, and therefore Eric's post, is over two years old....WAC no longer has access to the Mansfield site. They do not currently have a wavered site.

Also, there will be an organized Sixty Acres launch in November which is scheduled for the 14th this year.
Thanks. We can also add Gorge Rocket Club, 14K' waiver at their Goldendale launch site.

Oregon, Oregon Rocketry (OROC)
20,500' AGL standard waiver, 50,000'AGL by request
Brothers, OR
Monthly launches as scheduled, typically in April, May, June, July, and October (see website for calendar)
www.oregonrocketry.com
site altitude: 4550' ASL

Tripoli MN
North Branch, MN
20,000ft standing waiver
http://www.tripolimn.org/
Scheduled launches - second Saturday of each month - May-November - November being an exception, and takes place the last weekend in October

Thank you. It was more of a 411 question on sites here in the West. My property is 7,000+ MSL.

Baarlo, the Netherlands
site altitude: 3 ft ASL
permitted ceiling: 6000 ft AGL
landing area: 2 nm radius

much of the landing area is below sea level, as we launch just inside the old sea dike of the Noordoostpolder, which was reclaimed from the sea about 80 years ago.

Last edited:
Tripoli East North Carolina...BAYBORO
Site Altitude: 16ft ASL
Waiver: 17,500ft
Recovery area: 3800 acres (~6 square MILES)
http://www.ncrockets.org
It's not called "The Black Rock of the East Coast" for no reason!

Here are the club HP launches in my area...

ClubLocationLatitudeLongitudeAltitude (Ft.)LevelMax MotorCeiling Waiver (Ft.)Field SizeGoogle Map LinkOrg.When
Central Illinois AerospaceDodds Park, Champaign, IL40.133417-88.284639578HPRClass 13,250 AGLCIA - Dodds Park, Champaign, ILBothSee Website
Central Illinois AerospaceRantoul Aviation Center, Rantoul, IL40.288884-88.143849735HPRL+10,000 AGLCIA - Chanute AFB, Rantoul, ILBothTypically April & October; see website
Fox Valley RocketeersHughes Seed Farm, Woodstock, IL42.334706-88.530475869HPRL+6,000 AGLFox Valley Rocketeers - Hughes Seed Farm, Woodstock, ILNARTypically April & November; see website
Michiana RocketryThree Oaks, MI41.776257-86.578261640HPRM12,000/16,000Michiana Rocketry - Three Oaks, MITRAMonthly, Nov thru April
Prairie StateDekalb, IL41.8739444-88.7236111892HPRClass 15,000 AGLPrairie State HPR Location - DekalbNARSpring, Fall (crop dependent - see website)
Quad Cities Rocket ClubLimerick, IL41.488167-89.500778732HPRN15,000QCRC - Limerick, ILBothMonthly (see website)
Whoosh RocketryBong State Rec Area, WI42.627844-88.159819794HPRM10,000 MSLWhoosh - Bong State Rec Area, WINARSee Website
Indiana RocketryWinter HPR Site - Tab, IN40.386175-87.5133187696HPRN16,000 MSLIndiana Rocketry Winter HPR Site - Tab, INBothTypically October - April; see website

We have two 50,000' launch dates. One last month and one coming in June 2022. I'm just a Level 1 so 5k is about as much as I can expect, if that. The other guys L2 and L3 recently went to mid 20k and generally fly to 10k - 18k. We have a very large area to recover in. I'm in NW NM. I think my sig says TX, which is home. These days I'm in NM more than TX. The club is listed below

Last edited:
My launch sites:

Diego Area Rocketry Team (DART), NAR Section #317: Fiesta Island in San Diego, CA. 13ft ASL, 1000 ft AGL ceiling, up to G motors, 3.3lb weight limit. Many high-power rockets designed to fly on H or I motors can be flown downrated to G power here. Site is close to downtown San Diego and the airport. Potential water recovery, occasional flyovers and flybys due to nearby VORTAC beacon in Mission Bay. Fly high early to take advantage of calmer winds, underpower later in the morning to deal with increasingly strong breeze. Website: https://www.nar.org/site/section317/

Tripoli San Diego; Holtville Airport in Holtville, CA. 2 hrs east of downtown San Diego on Interstate 8. 59ft ASL, 18,000ft AGL waiver, up to M motors. Site is at an abandoned airport with deteriorating concrete runways. Bring the most capable vehicle available to you and watch where you’re driving. Reinforce your rocket if you plan to fly here, landing on concrete or rock is a definite possibility. There are some bushes but no trees to speak of. Website: https://tripolisandiego.org/

Sites I have not launched at but plan to soon:

Jesmond Dene Park in Escondido, CA. 900ft ASL. No stated AGL ceiling but restricted to B motors or smaller only. Day, time, and season restrictions apply. Permit required. Probably easier to set up an individual/family launch here than at Fiesta Island, easier to get to than Holtville for anyone living in or visiting San Diego. Otherwise just fly with the local clubs. Website: https://fire.escondido.org/model-rockets

Rocketry Organization of California (ROC) at Lucerne Dry Lake Bed. North of the town of Lucerne Valley and east of Victorville. Site is 2,848 ft ASL. 14,500 ft AGL standing waiver, call-in to 19,000 ft AGL, up to M motors. Hosts three-day ROCstock event twice a year. Website; https://rocstock.org/site/

Last edited:
We launch at the Sayre, OK Municipal Airport. It's located ~1800 MSL, and we have a waiver to 16.5K AGL. We're under a N-S flight path from Altus AFB.

Baarlo, the Netherlands
site altitude: 3 ft ASL
permitted ceiling: 6000 ft AGL
landing area: 2 nm radius

much of the landing area is below sea level, as we launch just inside the old sea dike of the Noordoostpolder, which was reclaimed from the sea about 80 years ago.

Now that sounds like a cool launch site!

UPDATE: Tripoli San Diego is moving out of Holtville airport and seeking a new launch site. More than this I will not say, but details should be easy to get from the actual prefecture members.

Latest posts

Back