Australian Dangerous Creatures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By far the most deadly creatures in and coming out of Australia are ...The Wiggles. All of the VCR tapes and CD's. Five years, two daughters, constant viewing and going to see them live on tour.

One day Captain Feathersword fell asleep aboard his pirate ship...when he woke up he was on a farm...QUACK, QUACK, QUACK QUACK, COCKEL DOODLE DO!

The only possible cure was to build rockets like this:
View attachment 628757

Mashed banana mashed banana.

Hot Potato hot Potato.

Cold Spaghetti cold Spaghetti.

The PTSD still lingers. :)
I ride the bus to school with a client who listens to this on his iPad speakers, sometimes repeatedly.

One time when I decided I had had just about enough of it, I waited for all the kids to get off the bus before I turned to an onboard aide and said, “what the hell were the Beatles on when they made that?!”

I was very glad to get back to my regular mix of Metallica, GNR, RHCP, etc…

I ride the bus to school with a client who listens to this on his iPad speakers, sometimes repeatedly.

One time when I decided I had had just about enough of it, I waited for all the kids to get off the bus before I turned to an onboard aide and said, “what the hell were the Beatles on when they made that?!”

I could take a Eucalyptus Tree themed high power rocket with a drop bear. A poisonous spider, worm or snake oddroc is a nice touch. But a flying Wiggles themed abomination would certainly send me over the edge.

Toot toot chugga chugga BIG RED CAR!

I have found it best that when Wiggles music is playing in public and making Yankees Crankees the best thing to do is to softly tell them it is just Australian music. Say "Just be glad that you don't have to constantly live beside all those dangerous critters down under." That will make the Cranky Yankee cheer right up. A little beeeer in a really big can will also help. :)

If I ever get to a launch down under I will definitely need my Daughter's old Wags the Dog and Dorothy the Dinosaur plush toys to protect me in my tent from the wandering dingos. Yeppers, that Yank was six feet two inches - two hundred forty pounds and had no chance of resisting being dragged away by those dingos.

Gotta have the right gear! A good Australian made cork hat should protect me! Playing the didgeridoo will send me into dream time to mindsim another oddroc. I ain't scared of no stereotype critters! But hot glued fins...YIKES! :)

What is your source for this? (The Eastern diamondback, for example, makes this list not for the quality of its venom, but for the quantity of its venom [per bite].). Many scholars would put Bungarus multicinctus (banded krait, SE Asia) at least as high as #9. (Ask Joe Slowinski. . .) Australia still has an amazing percentage of venomous species, and not just of snakes!

Facebook post on a snake ID page I follow. More than that I don’t know.

Facebook post on a snake ID page I follow. More than that I don’t know.
Fakebook, indeed. Our primary source for absolute truth from the inter web.
(Reminds me of someone who 'cleansed their body' from their weekend cocaine binge so as to pass their Monday drug test: "I did everything they [Fakebook] said to do!" Unfortunately, they neither passed the test nor retained their job.)
Still, the range of Australian venomous creatures is impressive! (I, too, 'like' snakes, especially Crotalus specimens.)

I happen to also be fascinated by spiders. This story (thank you for the link) reminds me of a trip in 1976 to Mississippi, in the southern U.S. [for you Aussies 🙂] that I'd taken with my girlfriend's family. We stayed in a Quonset hut on their cotton farm. For some unknown reason, I looked into my shoe before putting it on (do you EVER look into yours, first? I/we (U.S.) NEVER do!), and discovered my first-ever black widow spider (the U.S. equivalent of your red-back spider).
(It became my 'pet' for three subsequent years.)
What the hell this has to do with rockets, I've no clue. . . 🤣

Last summer, I was astonished to learn how many black widow spiders can be found in populated areas of the Mojave Desert, if you know when and where to look for them. Frickin' everywhere!
Oh, THAT'S the rocket connection: Mojave Desert - thank you! (AeroTech's Mojave Green propellant, that is.) 😆😂
Great propellant. Nasty consequences, should this snake [Mojave rattlesnake, Crotalus scutulatus] bite you. . .

The Mojave Green is the most venomous snake in Nevada. About four years ago I was bitten by a Black Widow on a golf course. It really screwed me up. Their venom is a neurotoxin and it made all my nerves burn. Took over a year for the affects to wear off. Last summer we had an infestation of Black Widows around our house. Took multiple insecticide applications to kill them all. I also check my shoes for scorpions.

The Mojave Green is the most venomous snake in Nevada. About four years ago I was bitten by a Black Widow on a golf course. It really screwed me up. Their venom is a neurotoxin and it made all my nerves burn. Took over a year for the affects to wear off. Last summer we had an infestation of Black Widows around our house. Took multiple insecticide applications to kill them all. I also check my shoes for scorpions.
Black widow bites must be one of those things that affect in different ways. Growing up in Mtn Home, Black Widow Capital I have been bitten three different times. The last was just below my right eye on my cheek. It looked like a humongous zit and hurt for a few days. After the swelling I had a pretty good black eye.
The first two times was just minor swelling.

Back