Dog gone-it! I'm on the DL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tightwad

Reaction score
Last Thursday, on a rare sunny day on the Southwest Washington coast and with record temperatures near 80 degrees I end up suddenly on the disability list for most of spring flying season.

I was enjoying the weather and a visit with a friend and as we stood there looking across the Columbia River, our two dogs were playing hard and paying no attention where they were running, when I was hit on my backside by the dogs. All I remember is an impact to my left leg and then I was face down on the asphalt withering in pain. I couldn't stand up or straighten out my left leg. All I could do was hold my leg and pound the ground with my other hand. In my brain I already knew I was heading to the ER.

After scooting over to the car on my butt, I crawled gingerly into the car leaving a trail of blood from my right elbow abrasion and then I was off to the ER. For the next three and half hours my left leg x-rayed, palpated, twisted and moved in all kinds of manner. By this time the left ankle was also swollen and the Dr. Fryer gave me shot of morphine for the pain. I was finally fit with a full leg brace and given the news that I was to stay off my feet for the next 7 to 10 days. Which means no turkey hunting and I will have to push my next launch at the ranch until who knows when.

Now, I have to learn new things, like how to get on and off of the pot, how to use the crutches without falling down and how hard simple things like getting your socks on, becomes hard.

Lessoned learned. Never turn your back on hard playing dogs. Sigh...have fun flying, guys.

Ouch!! That sounds gruesome. Not doing much flying right now just sitting down and building, so don't feel too bad. Get well soon buddy.

Dany

You need to re-establish yourself as the alpha dog in your pack.

Meanwhile rest up and think happy thought about rockets and turkeys. Maybe work on your calls, too.

I want to thank you guys for your comments and concerns. Today I removed the brace so I could take a shower and I couldn't believe the size of my left knee. It looked like there was a soft ball under my skin and itch! Boy! Did it itch!

I would like to do some rocketry stuff, but, my build room is upstairs in the shop and there is no way that I can navigate those steps. My wife refuses to go up because it is "unorganized"...which means, a mess in her world. So, it looks like I will be doing a lot of research and reading here TRF. Thanks everyone.

Bummer!
Altho I never got hurt like you did, I know all to well what it is like to have your legs taken out from under you by a dog.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Back