2005 Record Hurricane Season

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetra2

Reaction score
I thought I would make a thread on this subject.

at2005.gif

This season has been absolutely amazing, from a meteorological perspective. We had two storms form in June, a climotologically quiet month. Both were tropical storms, Arlene going into the FL/AL border, Bret going into southern Mexico.

Cindy was the first storm to form in July, and it took a northerly track towards Louisiana, clipping NO. Then we had two Major (CAT 3+) Hurricanes form, Dennis and Emily. Dennis hit the same area as Arlene, just from a different angle. :eek: Emily took a course WNW and only affected Mexico with it's strongest winds, but extreme Southern Texas was also affected. T.S. Franklin formed, then took an erratic track, never affecting the US. T.S. Gert then formed and closed out July by affecting the same area as Emily.

T.S. Harvey formed out in the middle of the Atlantic and affected Bermuda before racing NE and dissipating. Hurricane Irene then formed and looked like it might have affected the east coast before turning out to sea. T.S. Jose formed in the Bay of Campeche (sp?) and, during it's short spell, managed to dump heavy rains in southern Mexico.

Then came Katrina.
at200512_sat.gif

This intense and highly destructive storm formed from a lingering tropical wave and possibly the remants of Tropical Depression 10, which formed and dissipated about 9 days earlier. It made a brief landfall north of Miami, took a southwest turn, then essentially took a westerly course, then a big right hand turn took it straight into LA, a course that meteorologists and scientists in general had been predicting and dreading for decades.

T.S. Lee formed in the middle of the open oceand and never affected land. Hurricane Maria also never affected land, while Hurricane Nate skimmed south of Bermuda, just giving them a windy day.

Hurricane Ophelia was a strange system. It changed from a hurricane to a tropical storm and back THREE times and skimmed Cape Canaveral/KSC, amd dumped heavy rains and strong winds over the Eastern North Carolina coast. Hurricane Phillipe meandered around in the same area as Lee and never affected land, being sucked up into a large frontal system.

Then came Rita. As the second Category FIVE storm of the season, we set another record, with there being only three years where this has happened, '60, '61, and '05. Rita looked to be another Galveston, TX, storm for a while, and caused a huge evacuation of that area. She also set a record for the 3rd lowest pressure of all time in the Atlantic, bumping Katrina from it's spot there along with kicking '92's Andrew off the top 5 entirely, at 897mb (26.48" of Mercury). That closed off the month of September.

The first storm of October was Hurricane Stan, being prompt as all men are, and forming on the first. He took a track over the Yucatan and into southern Mexico, dumping up to 25 inches of rain in places that didn't need it. His death toll in total has been approximately 1500, because of the many mudslides and flooding that he caused. T.S. Tammy formed off of the east coast of FL, taking a mainly northwest track and making landfall at the FL/GA border.

Hurricane Vince...wow. He formed in an extremely rare spot off of a stalled low pressure system that gained tropical characteristics. His small size (no more than 75 miles across) was very peculiar, and before he dissapated, Tropical Depression Vince set a record as the first tropical system to make landfall on the Iberian Penisula and in Spain.

T.D. 24 was just upgraded to our last name on the list, Tropical Storm Wilma. The current computer models have the storm heading north, possibly affecting my area, the west coast of FL, as a hurricane. We will see if that happens what the rest of the story holds.

With six weeks left in the season, it is very likely that we will get our one November storm, in which we would move to the Greek alphabet, starting with Alpha. This would make 2005 the most active hurricane season EVER.

Jason

Ladies and Gents,

We have just seen one of the fastest strengthening of all time with Wilma. She dropped from 970mb and Cat 1 Hurricane at 5am yesterday to 882mb and Cat 5 w/ 175mph winds at 2:30am this morning. If anything, this is totally insane.

The 4 lowest pressures in the Atlantic of all time now reads:

1. Wilma (882mb)
2. Gilbert (888mb)
3. Rita (897mb)
4. Katrina (902mb)

Wow.

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
...Tropical Depression Vince set a record as the first tropical system to make landfall on the Iberian Penisula and in Spain.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Spain the main part of the Iberian Peninsular? ;)

Regarding the hurricanes, I'd say it has been a busy season for natural disasters in general. First the Tsunami at Christmas, then numerous hurricanes mentioned above, Peru earthquake, Asia earthquake, more tremors that everyone thought would be another tsunami, ...
I've always had a theory that there's always a major disaster between Christmas day and New Year. Last year was the Tsunami, a year before that (or was it 2?) was the Bam earthquake. I don't want to think about it, but what will this year's Christmas disaster be?

Dangerous, but fascinating weather, these hurricanes.

Jason, a few weeks ago at breakfast one of my kids said "Hurricanes, hurricanes, hurricanes. That's all we ever pray about anymore." :)

There is NO SUCH THING as global warming!:rolleyes:

I'm with ya, Jason. Amazing stuff. We're witnessing quite a hurricane season, and I don't believe too many people get what a big impact this is.

I have strong feeling that they're going to be moving into using the Greek alphabet for names soon....

Originally posted by sandman
There is NO SUCH THING as global warming!:rolleyes:

Sandman,

The only appearance of that phrase in this thread came from you. Try to stay on topic, huh? :D

Originally posted by marvSRG
I'm with ya, Jason. Amazing stuff. We're witnessing quite a hurricane season, and I don't believe too many people get what a big impact this is.

I have strong feeling that they're going to be moving into using the Greek alphabet for names soon....

Wilma was our last name, so any more tropical storms this year will be using the greek alphabet.

I suspect next season will be a real record breaker too. This has been a most informative thread.
Cheers
fred

The only appearance of that phrase in this thread came from you. Try to stay on topic, huh?

That was MEANT as sarcasm! It is right on topic!

This is just more overwhelming evidence of global warming. The higher water temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico is causing these storms to intensify at an alarming rate.

Originally posted by fred22
I suspect next season will be a real record breaker too. This has been a most informative thread.
Cheers
fred

I will even go so far as to say that I suspect that the next off-season will at least be close to the record for named hurricanes between the end of this season and the next: Zero. ;)

WW

I will never complain about our cold tempuratures again. This is terrible. I just get tore up looking at the real sufferring behind those numbers. Old folks losing their lifes work in a few hours people dying my God. I hope it calms down next year.
Cheers
fred

Originally posted by sandman
That was MEANT as sarcasm! It is right on topic!

This is just more overwhelming evidence of global warming. The higher water temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico is causing these storms to intensify at an alarming rate.

The September issue of Discover magazine has an interview with hurricane expert William Gray that you ought to read. In particular, they ask him if global warming is causing climate change. He says (in part), "No. If it is, it is causing such a small part that it is negligible." He lists other periods of global warming and cooling, then says, "But this is natural, due to ocean circulation changes and other factors. It is not human induced."

The interviewer mentions that this must be a controversial position among hurricane researchers. He replies: "Nearly all of my colleagues who have been around 40 or 50 years are skeptical as hell about this whole global-warming thing. But no one asks us. If you don't know anything about how the atmosphere functions, you will of course say, 'Look, greenhouse gases are going up, the globe is warming, they must be related.' Well, just because there are two associations, changing with the same sign, doesn' mean that one is causing the other."

When asked why there is so much scientific support for the idea, he replies: "So many people have a vested interest in this global-warming thing -- all these big labs and research and stuff. The idea is to frighten the public, to get money to study it more. Now that the Cold War is over, we have to generate a common enemy to support science, and what better common enemy than greenhouse gases?"

He also points out that his own NOAA funding was cut after 30 years by the Clinton administration, likely due to his views on global warming.

Hi ray,
Correct me if I am wrong but then why is this season so differant?
It does seem a little more severe then usual. it seems odd that scientific investigation has succumbed to the rather viscious poltical climate down south. Pro democrat mean you belive man is changing the climate and republican means you don't accept that? Hell of a way to investigate the universe.
Cheers
fred

Note - I am also a skeptic about global warming. We are not saying that it isn't happening - far from it. Us skeptics believe that it is happening as much as everyone else, we just don't jump to the conclusion that greenhouse gases is the sole cause of global warming (or even the primary cause). For a long winded, painfully detailed discussion on this topic, check out this thread on the Bad Astronomy and Universe Today (baut) forums: https://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=32815
Here is another interesting viewpoint:
https://www.cspg.org/deFreitas_climate.pdf

I looked thorugh interesting stuff but once agin science is a victum to poltics. it seems global warming is equated with
1.) Kyoto the international conspiracy to wreck the us economy WTH?
2.) dislikng the Bush administration
3.) We would have to change our lifestyles to prevent disaster and who needs that.
Proclimate change
1.) those who own 8 cylinder vehicles are ecoterrorists.
2.) If he wears a white coat with a pen in the pocket he must be telling the truth even if he is pushing a bucket with a mop.
3.) people who use styrofoam cups should be imprisonned.
Obviously i am shooting for a little balance and humour here. I think we need more hard facts and study and less rhetoric from groups with obvious and entrenched interests.
Cheers
fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back