Attended my first HP launch event today!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,

My wife and I attended our first organized launch today out at the SEARS 572 site.

Unfortunately the weather kept things rather mute. With breezy winds and a low ceiling threatening rain, nothing really HP was launched :(

But there was a group of engineering students trying out a steerable recovery system. Their launch was okay but the rocket was a little under powered and the deploy a little late. It was safely recovered but not a real test of their system.

Me I launched an Estes High Flyer on a E12 it was a good launch, unfortunately the deploy was way too soon at 4 seconds and the plastic parachute literally ripped off leaving the shrouds attached to the nose cone and the booster tumbled to the turf resulting in a zipper and a bent body tube. The high flyer died on its first flight :( Still the Jolly Logic altimeter reported 960 feet :D so not a total loss. At least I got the altimeter back.

Met some of the members of the club, a very nice, friendly and helpful group. I learned quite a few things.

Even though it was a brief event for us it was good to meet the crew out there!

Maybe next month.

Thanks yes I hope to witness that someday soon :D

Still had fun. Everyone was nice and helpful.

Condolences, our launch was low ceiling also.

that’s rocketry for you, stick with it and you’ll have a blast!

I went to LDRS and one of the rockets literally vibrated the ground. Everyone around us felt it. And it was very far away. Very impressive.

I went to my first high power launch thinking it would be fun but I was happy flying Estes kits and would never want to fly anything that big, proves again how wrong I can be.

Greetings all,

My wife and I attended our first organized launch today out at the SEARS 572 site.

Unfortunately the weather kept things rather mute. With breezy winds and a low ceiling threatening rain, nothing really HP was launched :(

But there was a group of engineering students trying out a steerable recovery system. Their launch was okay but the rocket was a little under powered and the deploy a little late. It was safely recovered but not a real test of their system.

Me I launched an Estes High Flyer on a E12 it was a good launch, unfortunately the deploy was way too soon at 4 seconds and the plastic parachute literally ripped off leaving the shrouds attached to the nose cone and the booster tumbled to the turf resulting in a zipper and a bent body tube. The high flyer died on its first flight :( Still the Jolly Logic altimeter reported 960 feet :D so not a total loss. At least I got the altimeter back.

Met some of the members of the club, a very nice, friendly and helpful group. I learned quite a few things.

Even though it was a brief event for us it was good to meet the crew out there!

Maybe next month.

Good to see you. I didn't do much socializing, as I was mostly keeping things out of the rain. I flew the Mach1 Blackbird (E-30) and had to walk a pretty good way to recover it. Most of the motor/rocket combinations I brought were set to go pretty fast/high, so I didn't have much to choose from for the conditions.

After the walk and a little rain, we decided we had enough.

I was planning to launch/fly the following:
Big Daddy modified to run 38MM motors (H-550).--Very interested in this one--
4" Mach 1 Momentum on I-500 for a frame checkout for a coming level 2 try
BT-80 upscale Estes Viking on a little H-motor
1.6" Madcow AGM-33 on a G-25

I'm working on a 3" blue tube upscale of an Estes Nike X that will have 38MM MMT. I should have it ready by next time to go with the Big Daddy and Momentum rockets, if I keep on it.

My first was last month at ROSCO. It was awesome! I don't remember them all, but I think there was dual canted H that lit everybody up. And one of the three blenders that just disappeared off the rail. I didn't even see it leave, just the sound. It was there, and then it wasn't. And many others that were fun. I loaded up 8 LPRs with A8-3's I felt wimpy, but my granddaughter and I had lots of fun. She's hooked now and can't wait till next month, meet too.

Phil.

Me I launched an Estes High Flyer... The high flyer died on its first flight :(
The occasional crash or other failure is all part of the hobby. So at least you experienced that part of things, which is good in its way.
At least I got the altimeter back.
Better.
I learned quite a few things.
Way better!
------------------------------
I loaded up 8 LPRs with A8-3's I felt wimpy
Ah, don't sweat it.
but my granddaughter and I had lots of fun.
Excellent.
She's hooked now and can't wait till next month, meet too.
Outstanding!
------------------------------
Plastic top table, blue F-150.
Wow! An F150 must be one hell of a fast burn.

My first was last month at ROSCO. It was awesome! I don't remember them all, but I think there was dual canted H that lit everybody up. And one of the three blenders that just disappeared off the rail. I didn't even see it leave, just the sound. It was there, and then it wasn't. And many others that were fun. I loaded up 8 LPRs with A8-3's I felt wimpy, but my granddaughter and I had lots of fun. She's hooked now and can't wait till next month, meet too.

Phil.
Sorry I didn't get any of your flights. The dual canted rocket was my upscale Deuce to 54mm motors, this time on J315s. I also had the one that landed on the power line over the highway :(

BTW, my avatar is the 98mm version (search YouTube for Deuce98) and the same picture is on the current Tripoli member card.

Last edited:
RocketJunkie,

That thing was awesome. I was talking at the tent and the guy said "hold on, this will be a good one".

I've got the 18mm version somewhere in a box from 15y back. Still looking.

Phil

A major frustration of our hobby is that weather can take out a launch, and then you have to wait a month to try again. But it's worth it!

A major frustration of our hobby is that weather can take out a launch, and then you have to wait a month to try again. But it's worth it!

Oh I also do amateur astrophotography, talk about weather frustrations :D

So yea I will deal with it ;)

Back