Assembly of recovery system from fruity chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Bech Svalgaard

Reaction score
Hey
We are a group of students from the Danish Technical University who are participating in SAC 2019. A bit naively we have ordered a recovery system solution from fruity chutes who have sent us some parts without a manual. This our best guess of how to assemble it. Biggest problem is how to make sure the deployment bag gets pulled off the main chute when the servo pin marked on the drawing is pulled.

Any recommendations on how to assemble?

Peter Bech Svalgaard, Danstar

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 17.58.16.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 17.58.16.png
    535.4 KB · Views: 149
Most people use a pilot chute when utilizing a deployment bag. These can also be obtained from Fruity Chutes. If you try calling Gene, he can probably help you size the pilot chute. he also has some good videos. I will see if I can find a link.

I'm not familiar with that technique. Typically, you attach a pilot chute to the top of the deployment bag. That's get the D-bag upright and gravity pulls out the main.

On the D-bag, there are two loops. The short loop that is at the top outside of the bag attaches to the pilot chute. The longer tethered loop attaches to the top of the main chute. The shroud lines of the main chute attach to the nose cone. When the nose comes out, it starts to fall. The pilot chute jerks the bag upright, and as the nose falls, it yanks the main out of the bag. You end up with something like this.

upload_2018-12-17_13-53-54.png

This picture assumes dual deployment, with a drogue that comes out at apogee.

We're receiving help from the guy who made Copenhagen suborbitals succesful recovery system. Ill post the most important points.

Back