Arrrr! What would make a good Pyrate paint-job?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan_Jones

Reaction score
I'm thinking of finishing a biggish mid-power model I'm working on with a "Pirate" themed paint job.

A picture is attached.

Any ideas for colors and decor?

There's an interesting variation on the pirate theme here, as well as their own "Jolly Roger".

One Piece

:D

I agree that a black and white are colors that should be used, in conjuncition with a Jolly Roger or two. I also think that a few touches of Red and gold would add to the pirate feel... look at how brightly some dressed,(red) and their booty (gold) perhaps some coin or treasure chest decals should/could be included too.

In addition to jolly roger, give Black Beard's flag a gander:
blackbdflag.gif

here's another nice decal option that would incorporate a bit of red:

435-001_large.jpg

BTW, you've inspired me. My next rocket's going to be pirate themed. :)

-- Roger

Black and white are the colors.
I really like that reply with the nice flag/Jolly Roger variations.

Here's a picture of my Fat Boy I call "The Jolly Roger".

The other one has used book stickers and is called "Used and
Abused". I even have drag raced both of them.

William

You could have used some fins in the shape of crossed swords (handle sticking out one side, tilted forward, blade sticking out the other side, swept aft?).

If you painted the swords in some appropriate color (silver?) it would add a touch of some other color to the black/white thing

Originally posted by WiK
For the more modern pirates among us:

p008ltd4.jpg

;)

did you google for that ;) :p I love when WiK brings a plan together :p I think you should do some black with white stripes down the side and have the fin outlined with a 1/4" stripe of red :)

thanx, Ben

I've just finished up reading a book to my daughter about a pirate so I have an idea (although it is going to be tough to top that parrot). Do you live somewhere nice and humid? If so, you put on a bunch of coats of green spray paint all at the wrong times and then cover with clear coat so it gets nice and crackly. Granted, this might be hard if you're actually trying but it could probably be done. Then you do up the nosecone of the rocket to llok something like this:

https://www.dizpins.com/archives/images/2006februarypics/dl_pan_croc_021306.jpg

How come nobody has suggested....

ARRRrrrgyle....?

pirategrin.gif

First, the sad news:

The unpainted model, temporarily named the RRR-Avst (Arrrr! Avast!) cracked up last Saturday when BOTH of its parachutes tore off on ejection.

The nose cone got dinged and the forward 9.5" of the rear section were mashed.

Fortunately, the "fin can" and several inches ahead of it were fine. I'll be ordering a replacement tube and coupler next week. And some sturdy nylon parachutes!

Thanks for all of the ideas.

I plan on painting the body in "Dark Anodized Bronze," a Krylon metallic spray color. Kind of like a cannon!

This will let the red and black decor and trim stand out.

Fins, probably black.

Cone, I'm not sure yet. Maybe black with gold trim, like a pirate captain's hat.

The model will have to have a skull and crossbones, of course. I like some of the variations suggested.

One possibility will be a larger version of a very schematic S&C-B I put on a small rocket a few years back. I'll see if I can draw the graphic and post it here.

REMEMBER . . . September 19th is Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Heeeeeyyyyyyy . . . .

How does this sound.

On the long shock cord between the body and the parachute, a small cloth pirate flag!

I had a pirate-themed rocket named Long John Silver. With a name like that, of course it had to be long and silver. I added some black for an Oakland Raider look, along with some blood red lettering.

I used this Jolly Roger with the red bandana. It tied in with the red lettering and the red reflector tape around the front.

I can not find the web site, but I remeber an upscaled Quest Intruder done silver and black with a jolly roger on the fins.

I beleive it was called Sky Pirate.

Sweet looking rocket as I recall.

Check out the Estes Renegade for some ideas. I have one posted on my website under Misc Photos. I purposely sealed the fins with only two coats of sealer, and I didn't do a lot of sanding. I wanted them to look like wood, grain and all. I even took some brown paint and antiqued the fins so they wouldn't look so clean, almost looked like algea.

Colors; dk blue, black, brown, gold, silver, red accents.

As I said before, this thread inspired me to create a Pirate-themed rocket. While shopping at Michaels a few days ago, my wife and I spotted a styrofoam pirate's skull which is about eight inches in diameter. We both had the same idea. :)

Here's the almost completed rocket:

2006-09-18+Pirate+Rocket+003.jpg

More photos and a description of the construction of the rocket are at:

https://www.payloadbay.com/article-building-the-jolly-roger-pirate-rocket.html

-- Roger

Back