Minie Magg Paint Job

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mao_Zedung

Reaction score
Hey all! Looking to paint my Minie Magg like it is on Apogee. I have no clue where I would even start. I’m thinking I’d need to tape it off but even then I’m not sure what tape to use. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_3733.jpeg
    IMG_3733.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
Hey all! Looking to paint my Minie Magg like it is on Apogee. I have no clue where I would even start. I’m thinking I’d need to tape it off but even then I’m not sure what tape to use. Any help is appreciated
There are a lot of custom painting techniques that can be found on Youtube. Granted you are not looking for flames specifically, but there is no better substitute than good technique. :)

I'd start with tamiya fine line tape. Determine where the patterns are going to be placed then spray on the silver that will be the pinstripe. Let that cure then tape off and paint the orange. Once that's cured, tape off everything and paint the red.

Look up videos on youtube about painting graphics and you'll see what I'm describing about.

My first impression would be to apply silver and clear coat and let it cure. Then tape over the areas of silver you want to keep using thin pinstripe tape. Then it is a two-tone paint job after that. You could choose to use any color for the edging: silver, black, white, neon yellow, etc.

My first impression would be to apply silver and clear coat and let it cure. Then tape over the areas of silver you want to keep using thin pinstripe tape. Then it is a two-tone paint job after that. You could choose to use any color for the edging: silver, black, white, neon yellow, etc.
Clear coat will make that silver have a matte/less shiny look. Metallic paints (at least that silver paint in the spray can form) don't really do well with clear coat. It might not matter so much for a pin stripe, but if it is one of your primary paint choices, it's good to know.

Last edited:
I suggested clear coat because finger prints and taping over the silver would likely dull the finish as well. If you want really shiny chrome, use metal foil or chrome monokote (if you can find it). It will be a bear to install as you have to cut it to size everywhere. Forget silver and use another paint color between the two paint areas and it gets simpler to execute.

Agree that silver/chrome tends to lose it luster when clear-coated the majority of the time (I've never used Future so can't speak to that).

That said, perhaps it is the color of the sky being reflected but when I look at the image posted by the OP I am not seeing silver/chrome between the red and orange but rather orange's complimentary color, blue...

I suggested clear coat because finger prints and taping over the silver would likely dull the finish as well. If you want really shiny chrome, use metal foil or chrome monokote (if you can find it). It will be a bear to install as you have to cut it to size everywhere. Forget silver and use another paint color between the two paint areas and it gets simpler to execute.
For a pin stripe, just do the base colors (orange and red in this case) and use metallic tape for the pin stripe: https://www.amazon.com/Metalized-Polyester-Adhesive-Multiple-Available/dp/B07TXN8TD8/

That'll give you the best finish if you cut the tips right.

Frisket paper. it is a big sheet of masking tape basically. Paint orange first, can do whole rocket or just an oversize of the design. If you do just the oversize outline you will need to sand between colors to remove ridge. Draw design on frisket paper, score with exacto, apply frisket to rocket, paint red. When dry to touch, apply the removed part of frisket back onto rocket over the red and the remove the already scored portion that will now become the silver. Paint the silver and remove frisket when dry.

Mark N suggested metal foil tape. I have used that stuff for 30 years on models. It will cut easy with just a score from an exacto knife and then peel off the unused part. If you do not scuff it, it will shine lots. If you use the stuff with backing, you can draw on the paper and then cut out your design and apply.

Probably going to start with the silver and after you tape it off, let that dry. Then the red after you tape that off, then orange. Look at youtube and how they do it with automotive paint.

Back