Telemetry with Phenolic Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1516

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m working on a rocket that’s going to use an L-class motor and have gone with a phenolic tube (which will be wrapped in a fiberglass sleeve) for the airframe. I know the phenolic tube isn’t RF-transparent, but how do people using phenolic tubes usually perform any telemetry (if they do)? I’ve thought about using a body section of fiberglass around the avionics coupler, but I imagine that could introduce a world of structural issues if that would even allow RF transmission at all. I’d appreciate any help, thanks!

Hi all,
I’m working on a rocket that’s going to use an L-class motor and have gone with a phenolic tube (which will be wrapped in a fiberglass sleeve) for the airframe. I know the phenolic tube isn’t RF-transparent, but how do people using phenolic tubes usually perform any telemetry (if they do)? I’ve thought about using a body section of fiberglass around the avionics coupler, but I imagine that could introduce a world of structural issues if that would even allow RF transmission at all. I’d appreciate any help, thanks!
I’m pretty sure it’s RF transparent, it’s not conducive or anything.

Back