April 7th at Maine Missile Math & Science Club

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAC of MMMSClub

Reaction score
Hi All,

Yes it is close to Easter so come celebrate a good pagan holiday with MMMSC, and make some offerings to the rocket gods! Hopefully no sacrifices!!

We will have MIT with us again to test their rocket.

We want as many people there as we will be holding a raffle with several prizes.
so there will be more than one draw.

We will be using our new controller for launching. And our new relays at the high power pads.

Who will be lighting the BP incense on the 7th??

Scott

I will be going for my Jr. L1 with my SkyPunch on an H128. I may fly it on a G64 first, but we will see how it goes. This time I will actually bring my camera, so I will take some high-quality pictures of the field so we can convince some more people to come next time. I can't wait already!

Cool I am planning on launching my Jayhawk on 29mm H and my Photon Torp. on a 24mm Vmax. and may be some others if I get them done.

Scott

As I am a junior member, I need an L1 adult to be my "mentor". Is there anyone who is willing to commit to this ahead of time, or should I just find someone when I show up? Really, all they have to do is assemble the engine and sign the flight card.

As I am a junior member, I need an L1 adult to be my "mentor". Is there anyone who is willing to commit to this ahead of time, or should I just find someone when I show up? Really, all they have to do is assemble the engine and sign the flight card.

I'll be there, I'll give you a hand

By the way, if you have a high-flying project that is just begging to be flown, the trip is certainly worth it. Just look at the size of the field! It is about a half of a mile in every direction! By the way Darrin, will you be flying anything?

Last edited:
It has been suggested that I reiterate the following:

We have a 10k Waiver and a "M" Impulse Limit for this field so if you got a big rocket we got big air.

Scott

Last edited:
We are trying to get the day free to come up. All our stuff is mid and low power, so nothing to test out that waiver ;)

Also, it would be our first launch using RMS motors. I may beg for some hands on training for the first few if at all possible :blush:

How many people does the event usually pull in? Any info on MIT's rocket that will be there?

What are the launch fees? Have to be club member? I've only been to CMASS events and dont know the ususal operating procedures. I checked the website but didn't see anything. Could be a case of being blind LOL

I see in prior posts on the website the first launch started sign ups/ect at 9:00am, that the plan this time around as well?

Thanks, hope to see you there!

Last edited:
Hoss,
We should have several people who can help you with the motor assembly or set up.
We have a real good crowd that grows to about 20+/- by 11 a.m. but I always hope for more every time.
MIT has a good size rocket 8'*6"*42#
Membership is $10.oo, Launch fee is $5.oo
I am at the field at 8 a.m. to off load, and begin set up based on field conditions,
i.e. Wet/Dry, Farm work, irrigation on/off and position of irrigation system, etc.
so from 9 a.m. on we are ready to show people where to park, setup, etc.
Good to hear from you look forward to seeing you at Launch.
Scott

My friend got a video of the last flight of the MIT rocket:
[YOUTUBE]HEEdawkYsYM[/YOUTUBE]
Do you have the onboard footage anywhere where we can see it? I look forward to watching it fly again!

Also, will anyone there have an Aerotech Delay Drilling Tool? I may need it for one of my flights, and would appreciate not having to do the drilling by hand. Thanks ahead of time.

xenon,
I am glad you chimed in, an L motor Yee-haa, I got to go buy more extension cord, to have us all back far enough... Now would you consider your rocket, "non-complex" or "complex" as an extra 2oo feet of distance is required for "complex" rockets.
Per Code. "L" 3oo feet, "L complex" 5oo feet. both are fine we got you covered.
Scott

xenon,
I am glad you chimed in, an L motor Yee-haa, I got to go buy more extension cord, to have us all back far enough... Now would you consider your rocket, "non-complex" or "complex" as an extra 2oo feet of distance is required for "complex" rockets.
Per Code. "L" 3oo feet, "L complex" 5oo feet. both are fine we got you covered.
Scott

A rocket is only complex if it has multiple motors, so we're non-complex.

We can bring extra cord if you'd like us to.

We'll be putting all of the video in one location when we do our final report, but probably not before then (this would be early May).

Bring your pad, that is good enough. We have cord.
I have had some inquires as to what time your team will launch, and going by last time I have told all that it will be past noon.
We will have you set up the pad first, and it will be a little different than last time. We are going to set up on road, or close to center pivot and we will retreat back up access road
to set up camp.

9' tall, 6" diameter, 42.5 pounds on the pad. We'll be flying an L1395 this weekend to 5,300', likely with all 3 high speed cameras onboard. We should lose 2 fins.

We might have a few more L1/L2 certs or some other random things that we bring along to fly too.

I have L2 tests, if needed

D,
Look sharp in something presentable this time, the Press may show too.
Your pic might be on the cover of the Rolling Stone and Catapult Quarterly.
Now where did I put my Lab Coat?

Well after a delayed start the MIT team was on the pad and ready to go, we saved the best for last.

P4073698.jpg

P4073763.jpg

P4073764.jpg

P4073796.jpg

P4073696.JPG

Congrats to Eggplant for his level 1 cert!
You did a great job and made us proud!

Thanks to everyone at the launch this weekend. We had a great time despite some bad luck with our rockets (some self induced, some not :eyepop:) .

If no one has seen this field yet, I highly recommend it. I've never launched in such strong wind before. If I'm not mistaken, no rockets ever came close to making it to the tree line despite the strong winds. This place is HUGE! It was around 20 minutes longer of drive for us then going to CMASS @ Amesbury. Very excited to have both clubs as an option this season!

The thanks go to your group for coming out on such a marginal day, I think you were the group that lost the altimeter? What was the name of the Kit that the Alt. was flying in and who makes it?

Scott

Yes, I also want to congratulate Eggplant on his Jr. L-1 and being the second L-1 success at our launch field and club!!!
Aroostook County is my old stomping ground and I have hopes of talking to the School in Loring AFB. about you and your ambitions of a group up there.

The thanks go to your group for coming out on such a marginal day, I think you were the group that lost the altimeter? What was the name of the Kit that the Alt. was flying in and who makes it?

Scott

That was us. The rocket was a smaller scratch build knock off of the LOC Weasle. It went up on an Estes D12-3. I'll have to double check where the nose cone was purchased from.

That was what did the Altimeter in, the nose cone. It was attatched to the eyelet of the nose cone, which is what broke off. The shock cord still had the top of the plastic eyelet loop on the cord. The suggestion of a loop in the shock cord will be taken next time :blush:

Thanks everyone!
I had a great time at the launch, and even with the wind we got a few flights in. Here is my Jr. L1 flight:
[YOUTUBE]iZudhe6SeYE[/YOUTUBE]
Next up is my friend David's Loc Oynx. This is an onboard video:
[YOUTUBE]ilkBl7wWg94[/YOUTUBE]
Finally, we got a video of the MIT rocket flying on an L1395. Not the best video because of the digital zoom, but the sound is good and it gets the idea across.
[YOUTUBE]UyAxybhUaxs[/YOUTUBE]
Overall, it was a great launch!

Better late than never. I know Daniel has been waiting.

This was my first launch with the MMMSClub and it won't be the last. First off I'd like to thank Scott and crew for finding such a great field and a well run launch.

Here are some of my pictures.

Daniel at pad.jpg
Daniel at the pad with Mercury Redstone.

Range head.jpg
Kenn and crew.

Flight line.jpg
The flight line.

Daniel's Icarus lo.jpg
Daniels Icarus.

QCC Explorer lo.jpg
My QCC Explorer.

Back