Apogee Aspire - Any Supersonic Success Stories?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with the Apogee Aspire going supersonic and returning in a re-flyable condition? I've had three of them. I have destroyed with two of them G80-10 motors (one at LDRS 40), and lost a third one on a F20-7 motor. At least with my failure last weekend, I was able to recover some of the debris for the accident investigation. I used the Fly-Away Rail Guides last time. All four epoxied fins separated from the airframe tube, something I've never had happen before. Maybe going supersonic is too much for paper and balsa wood. Videos on YouTube channel KK6WYV. Thanks, Bruce

Attachments

• !DSCN0863a.jpg
    !DSCN0863a.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 1
  • !DSCN0869a.jpg
    !DSCN0869a.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0871a.jpg
    DSCN0871a.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 1
I know a guy who did it- or at least he said he did it...

I've witnessed a few of them survive on the old G80, not sure about the new. Required tissue paper / CA fins. I don't recall if it was tip to tip or just the balsa itself. They would get the supersonic ones back, its the F10 that kissed them goodbye.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with the Apogee Aspire going supersonic and returning in a re-flyable condition? I've had three of them. I have destroyed with two of them G80-10 motors (one at LDRS 40), and lost a third one on a F20-7 motor. At least with my failure last weekend, I was able to recover some of the debris for the accident investigation. I used the Fly-Away Rail Guides last time. All four epoxied fins separated from the airframe tube, something I've never had happen before. Maybe going supersonic is too much for paper and balsa wood. Videos on YouTube channel KK6WYV. Thanks, Bruce

Yes you need to use hard thin basswood or plywood. I have flown a Estes Asender on plastic fins with my special way to seal the fins but no fillets at all on a H135 at 2017 October fest along with the Parizion on an I205 twice on plywood with only gorilla glue and no real outside fillets.

Only sealing the fins slot with a light coat of wood glue [or in other rockets silicon sealer]. This is only to keep air from getting into the fin sloit.

I also busted the old Enerjet 1340 rocket that became an Estes Eliminator on a G125 , plastic fins busted at 300 feet.

on an Eliss Mountain H50 , it had no problems and I got that one back. I made a Streach one and I think, but cannot be sure I flew it on an Ellis I69 and it was lost at LDRS 23, but came back in a lost and found box the next morning.

Last edited:
Yes, I've had 3 successes and lost 4 of them. One was at my home field a sometimes golf driving range. The others were at a large rocket launch venue.
The two I got back were found by other fliers looking for their projects. The other one I launched at my home field and thought I lost. It was gone so long after the launch and I didn't get a visual on it. I assumed it was lost. That was fine as it was getting well used. I starting to prep the next rocket and then started hearing the rattling of the mylar streamer I used. I looked up and there it was coming in not too far from me. Pure luck.

I will probably build another one someday, and do things differently.

I ordered a little decorative punch wheel.
I believe tiny holes in the body tube along the fin root, and filet center and along the fin sides where filet will be, would create tiny rivits of epoxy that may keep the fins on better.

What I am worried about is, pulling a fin on launch, a wind gust at just the wrong time, and it going horizontal.

I have (2) F20-7 dms motors.
I am going to start with a E estes and if it comes back, try the F. I only have a Jolly Logic 2 altimeter and there ain't no way I am sending it up in that. Lol.

Maybe if I can find a cheapo.

I flew several. Lost a couple of them and recovered most of them. I think I put 3/4 ounce fiberglass mat on the fins with epoxy. No fin separation. Still have one downstairs somewhere.
I had one go lost at a launch with a G80 and a fellow flier returned it. I had it marked so I was called. Took about a year to get together and get it back. That was no big deal to me as I knew it was in good hands.
Had another go lost and I was triapsing out in the field to get another rocket (it had GPS tracking in it, got it back) and I found the remains of another Aspire I flew. The cardboard melted in the rain but the epoxied fin can was intact. I would'a thought the farmer's plow would have turned it into the soil of the cornfield but it was lying right on the surface.
Now did they go supersonic? I don't know as I added re-enforcement on the fins. Added weight you know. But I did launch one at the public golf driving range early one morning on the G80 and it disappeared. I did modrocs there. I stared into the ether for awhile and thought, "I lost another one" and when preparing the next modroc, I hear the rattling of the silver mylar streamer coming in. The Aspire came down in the field and I didn't have a long walk to get it.
With my streamer recovered rockets, I use a silvered mylar material (usually two of them) that I fan fold and it "rattles" really loudly. Out in the middle of nowhere at a "private" launch, by myself, I can hear the rockets coming in on the silver mylar streamers. Have fun. Kurt

Back