Any word on new Estes kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone post a close-up pic of the nosecone for the Gauchito? It looks VERY interesting for scratchbuilding.....

Thanks!!
Phred

I also got a free shipping deal via email from ehobbies. Broke down and got some scissor wings plus a pair each of the three X prize rockets available. Somebody stop me!

free shipping?

That's a pretty good price.

Is that offer available to anyone? ;)

S..

Check out AC Supply--acsupplyco.com

A little better on price and free shipping over $75. I should have waited...

Three more of the Estes X-Prize kits have shown up here in San Diego.

The Canadian Arrow, Thunderstar & Eagle.

I also picked up the new Eagle boost-glider.

Here we are, headed for New Year's Eve and no Spaceshipone. If you don't know by now, Estes and Rutan are in a snit over licensing. Just whose snit it is, I don't know, but the result is no Spaceshipone until someone settles the snit.
Dennis

Originally posted by Initiator001
I went back to my local hobby shop and bought the re-issue of the Scissor Wing Transport

I was able to pick up one of these at my local Hobby store.

They are making their way to everyone!

Originally posted by wonderdog
Here we are, headed for New Year's Eve and no Spaceshipone. If you don't know by now, Estes and Rutan are in a snit over licensing. Just whose snit it is, I don't know, but the result is no Spaceshipone until someone settles the snit.
Dennis

Where are you hearing this from?

When I called Scaled, they said everything to do with SS1 licensing was in the hands of their "client", Vulcan/Paul Allen.

Combining what I've seen at three different Hobby Lobbies in Houston, I've seen (or not) these new Estes kits:

YES - X Prize Lucky Seven, #0807
YES - X Prize Gauchito, #0809
YES - X Prize Canadian Arrow, #2188
YES - X Prize Rubicon, #2189
 NO  - X Prize Cosmos Mariner, #2190
 NO  - X Prize SpaceShipOne, #2191
YES - X Prize Thunderstar, #2192
YES - X Prize Eagle, #2193
YES - Scissor-Wing Transport, #1265
 NO  - AstroCam 110, #1327
YES - Eagle Boost Glider, #2186
 NO  - Oracle Digital Video Rocket, #2187

I bought the Lucky Seven and Gauchito for Christmas for two of my sons. The Lucky Seven is made entirely of plastic except for the motor tube, rubber shock cord, and motor hook. The fins are made of a rather flexible silver/gray plastic, probably so they won't break on landing. The Gauchito is a more conventional kit with a short conical plastic nose cone and laser-cut balsa fins.

The Thunderstar is interesting in that it has both balsa and plastic fins. The set of small fins that are placed roughly midships on the model are balsa, and the 'main' fin set is plastic. The transition between the two sections of the body is (of course) plastic, too, as is the nose cone.

Sorry for the name mistake. The snit was with Richard Branson and the info came from Rebar Rocketry. Spaceshipone is apparently pushed back to sometime after January 1.

Dennis

Originally posted by JRThro
Combining what I've seen at three different Hobby Lobbies in Houston, I've seen (or not) these new Estes kits:

NO  - Oracle Digital Video Rocket, #2187 .

I picked up one of the AstroCam 110 kits back around September/October here in San Diego.

I was looking at the Estes website today. The Oracle kit is now listed for Spring 2005. There is no listing of the Spaceshipone or Cosmos Mariner kits.

Originally posted by JRThro
 NO  - Oracle Digital Video Rocket, #2187
Our local HL has exactly as listed by JRThro.
I did notice that quite a few of these kits are using more plastic than I care for but, with the usual (up and coming) 1/2 off sale, I can live with it, if I have to, I guess. ;)

Has anybody notice that the "Gauchito" is basically a re-release of the 1/100th Little Joe II without the escape tower?

https://www.dars.org/jimz/est0892.htm

I opened mine and the Apollo Capsule from my Estes Saturn V fits!

It uses the odd BT-58 body tube!

OK the fins are a bit off.:rolleyes:

The similarity to the Little Joe is obvious, but for some reason the Gauchito rubs me wrong...I personally don't like it. But as a kit bash it might be OK.

Originally posted by rstaff3
The similarity to the Little Joe is obvious, but for some reason the Gauchito rubs me wrong...I personally don't like it. But as a kit bash it might be OK.

I don't really like the way it looks either, but then I also don't like the looks of the Little Joe (which I had never even heard of until a few months ago, btw). The Gauchito packaging mentions the "Little Joe styling!!!"

The only reason I'll buy one is it is a scale "semi-scale" of one of the X-Prize entires. Unfortunately when I placed my order at e-hobbies recently they were sold out. I have also not seen the release of the D-12 powered Rocket glider X-prize model can't remember the name at this moment but It looks like a really Kewl build!

If I'm not mistaken the real bird is based on Little Joe technology, so the similarity is understandable;)

It is too bad that Estes released these kits AFTER the X-Prize had been won! Now it's like, "I got the Rubicon, what loser did YOU buy?" Ironically it is the winner that you can't buy yet! I agree with some in thinking that the Gauchito is an ugly little thing, the Lucky Seven ain't much better. While I am a huge fan of the Little Joe II, the Gauchito does nothing for me.

Micromiester, I spoke in person with an employee of Estes last month and SPECIFICALLY asked if that glider was going to make it to production and she assured me it would. I want that one too! (some micro radio gear has already been purchased!!!) Lets hope it does not go the way of the Cylon Raider, Cygnus Probe Ship and the F-117 Nighthawk!!!

There was suposed to be a cylon raider kit? I've been trying to come up with ideas for that to go with my scratch built Viper....Are there pics any where?...

...but the new Battlestar Galactica series starts on SciFi next week. No word yet if that creates a licensing problem with Virgin Galactic. :p

[QUOTE I agree with some in thinking that the Gauchito is an ugly little thing, the Lucky Seven ain't much better. While I am a huge fan of the Little Joe II, the Gauchito does nothing for me.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I must agree the Gauchito is pretty ugly but I bought it to clone a Apollo Little Joe II. BTW.. The Spanish word Guachito translates
to english as "Little Cowboy"

therefore:

Little Cowboy = Little Joe

Paul

I agree that the Gauchito is a bit on the ugly side but it is a really great flier. It goes up to about 300 feet on an A10-3T.

I would highly reccommend it if you don't have a lot of flying space.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Micromiester, I spoke in person with an employee of Estes last month and SPECIFICALLY asked if that glider was going to make it to production and she assured me it would. I want that one too! (some micro radio gear has already been purchased!!!) Lets hope it does not go the way of the Cylon Raider, Cygnus Probe Ship and the F-117 Nighthawk!!!

I dunno if this means anything, but I just looked at Estes' web site, and it lists seven of the eight X-Prize rockets - it lists The Spaceship One as coming out in February, but it doesn't list the Cosmos Mariner at all! :( That is the D powered glider that Micromeister and Rokitflite were both talking about. I wonder if it's just a glitch, or if Estes has changed their minds about releasing the CM.

And I'm with Micro and Rokit - that's the one I wanted from the first!

Greg

I just got an order in from Tower Hobbies. My X Prize Eagle, (#2193) was the "rocketry" part of my order. The bad news is it was damaged.... But customer service was great and within minutes paperwork was done to have another one sent to me.

I look forward to starting this kit. It looks like it's going to be a cool rocket to build.......

I too am building an Eagle, great kit. It turned out to be a bit smaller than I expected but it does have some awesome detail and I can't wait to see it finished.

Back