Any events in So Cal?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uprange

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering where there are Southern California events? I know of ROCSTOCK out in the Lucerne dry lake bed and I know the launching at the Santa Fe dam is on hold. So are there any other places in the area to launch?

Thanks,

Dan

Check the Tripoli site for the Mojave Desert Advanced Rocket Society. I used to fly with them as wellwhen I lived in SoCal. Great group of people with very laid back launches. Usually abut a dozen fliers and a few spectators. Usually fly at either Koehn Dry Lake or else at a place called, appropriately enough, Aerial Acres.

Alan

Lucerne launch for Model Rockets (up to full NAR MRSC limit) on Sunday 24JULY2005 unless there is flooding from thunderstorms.

MODROC building class on Saturday 23JULY2005. Call to reserve a space (or spaces).

Links to other clubs are on the SCRA website links page.

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/

Originally posted by Uprange
Hi all,

I was wondering where there are Southern California events? I know of ROCSTOCK out in the Lucerne dry lake bed and I know the launching at the Santa Fe dam is on hold. So are there any other places in the area to launch?

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks, Fred,

I think I met you out at the Dam a few months ago when I was with a group of Cub Scouts launching their Alpha IIIs.

I was hoping for something a little closer to LA and Orange counties, preferably inside one of the counties. I remember that Fountain Valley used to have launches at Mile Square Park but heard they were cancelled for good.

Lucerne is over a 2 hour drive for me and as hot as it has been lately (I believe that area hit over 110 deg this week) I really would need to have a propellant Jones going to head out for a full day of that on top of 5 hours of driving. The Dam was a sweet place to launch out of, I really hope that gets going again, especially since there aren't many alternatives.

Thanks again for your work and effort getting the "Dam site" going again.

Dan

Be sure to use our YahooGroup to keep up with the latest news (if there is any news).

https://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalRockets/

Mile Square Park had a triangular area in the center used by all hobbies. It was an old emergency landing field and it was exchanged by the Navy with the County of Orange and the County used most of it to build a golf course expansion. The few acres not used were leased to the City of Fountain Valley to expand their rec center. They have some fields there, but it is much smaller and they charge HUGE fees to use the place. And they are usually booked solid with sporting events.

Lucerne is a 2 hour drive from LA/OC. It is hot, but we start at dawn and leave by noon.

Originally posted by Uprange
Thanks, Fred,

I think I met you out at the Dam a few months ago when I was with a group of Cub Scouts launching their Alpha IIIs.

I was hoping for something a little closer to LA and Orange counties, preferably inside one of the counties. I remember that Fountain Valley used to have launches at Mile Square Park but heard they were cancelled for good.

Lucerne is over a 2 hour drive for me and as hot as it has been lately (I believe that area hit over 110 deg this week) I really would need to have a propellant Jones going to head out for a full day of that on top of 5 hours of driving. The Dam was a sweet place to launch out of, I really hope that gets going again, especially since there aren't many alternatives.

Thanks again for your work and effort getting the "Dam site" going again.

Dan

Depending on whare you are in SoCal, you may want to check out the DART and North SD County launches here in San Diego. Still a 2 1/2 hour drive but the temperature is a bit more comfortable. :D

NSDCNAR:

DART/Fiesta Island:

Barry

Originally posted by dbarrym
Depending on whare you are in SoCal, you may want to check out the DART and North SD County launches here in San Diego. Still a 2 1/2 hour drive but the temperature is a bit more comfortable. :D

NSDCNAR:

DART/Fiesta Island:

Barry

Wow, thanks! That made my day. I just finished a Tres and was wondering how long I'd have to wait to fly her.

SCRA had a launch at Lucerne Dry lakebed on Tursday Aug 18, 2005 (yesterday).

ZERO wind. Not too hot. I flew a lot of boost-gliders.

Next SCRA Lucerne Dry lakebed launch is Sunday 28 AUG 2005.

Updated dates and info are on our club website and our yahoogroup.

Back