Another SR-71 Blackbird Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
This has been one I have wanted to build for awhile and decided to build it today. This is an older kit and the parts are pretty good except for one balsa sheet. The balsa sheet started 3/32 at one end and tapered down to 1/16 at the other end making it unusable. I called Estes and they sent out a brand new laser cut balsa sheet.
I did not take pictures of the build since there are plenty of builds posted that are pretty detailed. I built this per the plans except I attached the Nose while doing the paper sheeting to make for a better fit. Everything went together well except the Nose does not really blend into the fuselage, oh well I can live with it. Tomorrow I will brush on balsa sealer and get ready for priming.

DSC_0789.JPG

DSC_0793.JPG

DSC_0797.JPG

I did not take pictures of the build since there are plenty of builds posted that are pretty detailed.

So, a build thread without the build part? :grin:

Looks good, can you tell me where the CG is on it?

I agree, I would have liked to have seen more pictures of the steps in the build process. My favorite kind of build thread is one where the pictures showing the rocket ready for painting don't show up until page 2 or 3.

But... your rocket does look good! You've done a really great job and I look forward to seeing how your paint and decals look.

Sorry about that but Mushtang just finished up his build thread and did such a wonderful job that I just wanted to keep it simple. If there was anything I could have added I might have added more pictures. I promise my next build will have more pictures.

Looking at the JimZ plans ,that`s one thing the kit could have used ,were those waterslide decals ,the plastic "stickers" just do not do the kit justice ,and on a black semi-gloss finish ,spells disaster !

For mine ,I used waterslide decals from my model aircraft spares box.

Paul T

I brushed on 4 coats of Aerogloss Balsa Sealer, sprayed two coats of primer and sanded smooth. I then shot Glossy Black and will apply the water-slide decals tomorrow. This is an older kit so I am lucky and it comes with water-slide decals. After the decals I will shoot Dullcoat and she should be ready to fly.

DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0813.JPG

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0819.JPG

I brushed on 4 coats of Aerogloss Balsa Sealer, sprayed two coats of primer and sanded smooth. I then shot Glossy Black and will apply the water-slide decals tomorrow. This is an older kit so I am lucky and it comes with water-slide decals. After the decals I will shoot Dullcoat and she should be ready to fly.

Looks great. I saw one of these in person at an air/space museum, Omaha maybe? I was surprised how small it was, I imagined it much larger.

Great job on the build! Once the decals go on it looks like a whole new model. They really bring it to life.

Take pictures and video of the flight and post them here. I've heard a lot of stories about these flying badly so I hope yours flies as straight as mine does.

After the paint was dried I applied the waterslide decals. They are pretty thick and I had a little trouble getting them to stick, but Microscale products help a lot. After the decals were dried I sprayed on two light coats of Testors Dullcote. I am happy with the finish and I forgot how nice Aerogloss balsa sealer is. Anyway she is ready for flight.

DSC_0817.JPG

DSC_0819.jpg

DSC_0822.JPG

DSC_0830.JPG

Back