Another Deuce is born

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
Big weekend of rocket building!

Got my 2X Trident done (pics posted in scratchbuilt forum),

Finished up my Deuces Wild, with red/white paint & custom decals.

Deuce's Wild

Finished up my son's Venus Probe

Venus Probe

and started on my pencam rocket

Pencam Rocket

Steve,
Very nice projects you have. The upscale Trident is awesome:eek: I love the paint scheme on the DW. Are those decals? Nice Venus probe( these are heavy so launch in no wind).
Good luck with the pencam. It looks like a fun project.......Larry

Oh, btw what are you going to fly that Trident on??

VERY nice Deuce. Great Graphcs!! What did you use to create the logo?

Thanks guys -
Larry, I'm thinking Trident will first fly on D12-3 as a baseline. I have no RockSim so this will be seat-of-the-pants.
Yeah I read on EMRR how the Venus Probe is underpowered as is so I replaced the skinny BT with a BT-50 so it couild take C11 or D and E engines.

astronboy, I used Microsoft Photodraw to make the logo. I found a clip art picture of some dice in Photodraw clipart and modified the dice so that they show snake eyes. Made up the text using Playbill font and printed em on Testors Clear Decal Paper.

Holy crap, how'd I miss THIS thread? Wow! What a cool Deuce! Jim, ya see his version? This type of design just begs to entered into a "Deuce's Wild SHRINE" someplace on the web.

Open canvas...open canvas...I love non-conformity!

stevem,
That is a pretty looking DW!

I 'm not out to steal his thunder but guess this is as good a thread as any to show off my work in a thread dedicated to people that have finished their Deuce... I call mine "Scorched" :cool: (jflis, I know you asked for pics but I want to send you something better than the poor quality of this one...and you'll get some!)

Those are two very very nice Deuces - well done both of you.

A DW gallery, containing pics of everybodies Deuces would be something special. Perhaps this could be an EMRR photo comp?

Lance - you can take all the thunder you want 'cause that's a beautiful Deuce!!

A gallery of pictures of Deuce's would be very cool.

I'll bet Jim never imagined what a popular rocket this was gonna be.

Nice paintjob!
I finished construction of my DW this weekend also and flew it for the first time, but haven't painted it yet. Sorry no pics. It took off quite a bit faster than I expected (2 C6's), so I missed it with the camera. Still quite a crowd pleaser though, even without paint.
I have an interesting paint scheme in mind also, but I doubt it'll turn out as nice as yours. I was thinking red and black with some extra stuff, but that red and white sure looks good.
Now I've got to get to work painting, so I can get some pics posted.

slim

Originally posted by eugenefl
Holy crap, how'd I miss THIS thread? Wow! What a cool Deuce! Jim, ya see his version? This type of design just begs to entered into a "Deuce's Wild SHRINE" someplace on the web.

Open canvas...open canvas...I love non-conformity!

man, "open canvas" is right! These are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Steve, it took my breath away when I opened your picture!

Lance, *stunning* work on the color fades (did you use an airbrush?)

A *customer* photo gallery is a given, time is all i need (i haven't even announced the October DOM winner yet and am getting some flack for that, so...)

I am hoping that Dec/Jan affords me some time to focus on the web site. Going for a whole new look on the main page then focus on customer input and pix...

just glorious guys, really!
jim

Originally posted by jflis
Lance, *stunning* work on the color fades (did you use an airbrush?)

Actually it was all done with spray paint cans... I'm big on Krylon & use it exclusively (I just wish they had some real metallics--but I'll save that rant for another time!)

I sprayed each color ~10minutes apart & all the colors in less than an hour's time. By spraying the different colors so closely together time-wise, it allows the drying agents in the paint to react together in a positive blending kind of way (that would be considered undesirable otherwise). The only potential snafu to any fade paint job is assuring that you get enough coverage on the FIRST pass... :eek: It's all but impossible to "go back" without messing it up :rolleyes:

Great technique!! I will have to try it soon....

(Says the man with many rockets in need of a paintjob):rolleyes:

Back