Another building frenzy!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
I don't know what comes over me...the weather, work, boredom but sometimes it's like eating peanuts...I can't stop.

This is the newest collection...you guys probobly notice i can't just do one at a time.

I am really sorry about the quality of the picture. No decals yet...the paint is still too fresh.

They are left to right.

Baby Bertha, Argosy, U.S.S. Fireflash, Starhawk, and a scratch built fighter done in purple matelic.

I will take better pics when the decals are on with a better camera.

sandman

This picture is a little better. I've included another rocket I forgot, it is a scratch build design with a boat tail and designed for the Estes "E9-8" motor.

sandman

OMG Sandman...they are Gorgeous!!! Dang, you have an entire fleet of fantasy rockets...and in the All American Colors too!

We done bro, can't wait to see em with decals...

Carl

Launch-a-mania !! Wow, ever sent your resume to rocket kit manufacturers? You continue to out do yourself. I stand in awe of your skill. :) Keep up the good work and let us see the launch pictures.

Swimmer

My hat is off to you - building SIX rockets at once. Jeez.... I struggle just to get through with one.

I'm glad to hear that there is someone else that likes the Estes E engine. I'm about the only one around here that does.

Please be sure to include launch pics.

Nice rockets sandman! The Argosy was one of my personal favorites when I was a kid. :D Hmmm, let's see - that was in 90! I hope to someday recreate that rocket.

Thanks for sharing. The frenzy is contagious amongst rocketeers. I'm still prepping for my next invasion.

Originally posted by KenParker
....I'm glad to hear that there is someone else that likes the Estes E engine. I'm about the only one around here that does...

Ken, you can add me to the E9 club :D

I'm waiting to see if the failure rate on the E9s is anywhere NEAR the failure rate of the Estes E15s [everyone remembers those, right?]

The couple I've seen launch have been very cool. I like the E9's as well.

Flew my Executioner quite well with one. (Thanks Ken!)

I'll be building a Thoy Snipe to fly on three E9's. Will get the try the cheap Minwax/pantyhose technique on that one too.

Wow sandman, they are cool! Man I hear ya - dont now what it is, too much spare time perhaps?!;) (College is out........yay!) Everytime I sytart one rocket, am already thinking of the next project, and before long I have 3 -4 rockets I want to build!

Do you think It's an illness?!!

Preesently I have about 4 or 5 rockets "under construction in the garage - i satrt one, then before long, im working on another!(Dont worry there will be pics of the finished projects! I will let 'yal know how things are going1)

All the best,

James D

Ps, Whats the prob with Estes E9's? Do they vlow up on the pad or something? (maybe thats why they not import into the Uk?)

Originally prophecied by James D
Ps, Whats the prob with Estes E9's? Do they vlow up on the pad or something? (maybe thats why they not import into the Uk?)

I've not seen any widespread reports about E9's giving people grief, and I read plenty of launch coverages online. The E15's that Estes made about ten years ago had about a 30-40% failure rate. Loading up a LOC Viper 3 with three E15's was a guarantee to CATO. Needless to say, they didn't stay on the market very long.

I'm going to have to try the E9's for myself, now. I've got plenty of guinea pigs in the workshop to fly them in.

Estes used to make an E15 a few years ago. It had a very bad habit of cato-ing. A lot of people remember the old E15's, and are concerned that the new E9's will repeat the habits of their predecessors. Fortunately, so far at least, they seem to be much more dependable.

I know that I was the first guy to launch an E9 at Whitakers, our high power field here in NC. The LCO made everybody get way back because he remembered all the catos from the old E15s. To the best of my knowledge, we have yet to have a cato at Whitakers on one of the new E9s.

I like the E9s because I like long burn motors (well... OK, I like short burn motors too.... and medium burn, and.... OK!!! so I just like rockets...). The new E9s are really cool in my old Estes BroadSword. Takes it for quite a ride.

I love the long burn of the E9's. At our last launch there were some guys playing with them to test for an E eggloft competition at NARAM. Since the E9 is only a 29NS motor, they were trying to stage another motor under it while still getting in under E power. They had a number of launches. I didn't see how the eggs fared, but there were no CATOs. An E9 that launched beautifully sent my Aspire off to the gods. I think they were getting back at me for picking on their chosen son with the sign.

I think the reason most people are dissatisfied with the E9 is because of the lack of umph or grunt off the pad. I've personally flown my LOC Graduator on D12s without any problems. I'll never forget my first launch with an E9...it went horizontal. I must admit that the long burn is pretty sweet if you have a smaller more lightweight rocket.

Originally posted by James D
Wow sandman, they are cool! Man I hear ya - dont now what it is, too much spare time perhaps?!;) (College is out........yay!) Everytime I sytart one rocket, am already thinking of the next project, and before long I have 3 -4 rockets I want to build!

Do you think It's an illness?!!

Definitely an illness, no known cure, and it gets progressively worse with age (my oldest daughter is in college, so I've got a few years on you ...) :)

I've got MANY dozens of kits, countless body tubes, nose cones, miscellaneous pieces. Counting just Estes Saturns -- I've got 7! One built Saturn V, 3 unbuilt, and 3 unbuilt Saturn 1Bs. ..oh yeah, add the Apogee Saturn 1B... that's 8 Saturns!

Retirement is gonna have to be a building frenzy if I want to get all this stuff built! :D

Lee,

HA!...Ya got nothin' on me...my daughter graduated from college 3 years ago.

I have one Saturn V built 5 unbuilt. one Apogee saturn 1B and one Estes Sat 1B. and 5 Kosrox Sat 1B's

2 - 4" Little Joe II kits (my own design thank you very much).

Dozens...yes dozens of old Estes clones kits made up.

Three scratch buiding "kits" I made up for F/F scale stuff. (odd future fiction models)

I havn't even scratched the surface yet. So many rockets...so little time.

I think need help...

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
...I havn't even scratched the surface yet. So many rockets...so little time.

I think need help...

sandman

Man, you set yourself up for the standard rocket comeback....

I'll be happy to help you with your problem! Just put a bunch of those rockets in a box and mail them to me! :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Back