ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deployment requires something to deploy... I added a Spherachute parachute for you (change that to what you intend to use). You may want to check out the new parachute manufacturers' product lines that have been added to OpenRocket with beta 3, you may find something you like or would like to experiment with.

Attachments

• 2022-05-20.436341-Astronef.Rev_01.ork
    262.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@tsmith1315
So is the BMS tube wall thickness actually 0.012 or 0.020? Depends on which number in the BMS listing is wrong...hard to say without an actual sample or getting BMS to confirm/deny.

Dave- I now have a BMS T204/ST-20 in hand and it's measuring 0.021" to 0.0225" wall thickness with a cheap digital caliper. OD is measuring 2.039" - 2.044". Even with a coupler in place, it's tough to measure diameter without deforming it. With similar wall thickness as Semroc, I'm calling it the same OD as the Semroc T20 at 2.042" for my calculations.

Best way to measure tubes is to wrap a piece of paper around the tube and put a marks at the overlap. Then remove the piece of paper, lay flat and measure the distance between the marks. This is the tube circumference. Divide by Pi (3.1416) to get the diameter.

Dave- I now have a BMS T204/ST-20 in hand and it's measuring 0.021" to 0.0225" wall thickness with a cheap digital caliper. OD is measuring 2.039" - 2.044". Even with a coupler in place, it's tough to measure diameter without deforming it. With similar wall thickness as Semroc, I'm calling it the same OD as the Semroc T20 at 2.042" for my calculations.
I have had really good results measuring OD of a body tube by first placing a CR inside at the end of the BT and then measuring there with my dial calipers.

waltr's way also works well.

Thanks! Seems like it's intended to match the original 2.040 ST-20. Paper tubes are indeed notoriously hard to measure accurately since they deform so easily. Calipers will compress them, and even using a coupler isn't foolproof because the tubes will stretch, and the tube+coupler can still be deformed by the measuring device. A friction clutch micrometer gives the most consistent results, but it doesn't prevent deformation; it just makes it repeatable :)

I've been told that the smaller tubes "as manufactured" can vary from the specified size by 2-3 thousandths, and Aerotech once said that larger tubes are only guaranteed +/- .005" from spec.

I've been told that the smaller tubes "as manufactured" can vary from the specified size by 2-3 thousandths, and Aerotech once said that larger tubes are only guaranteed +/- .005" from spec.

Thanks for that tidbit, I've been curious about it.

The OR database is very helpful, and I really appreciate the additional info in the new version. In planning some scale builds, I want to be as accurate as possible with off the shelf materials. But, I don't want to find myself nitpicking down to the level of tube tolerances.

It may have been discussed, but when selecting 'Close design' the entire app closes as if selecting 'Quit'. Not a big deal to open the app again, but it would be nice if it would remain open to start another design or open another existing design, unless selecting 'Quit'.

It may have been discussed, but when selecting 'Close design' the entire app closes as if selecting 'Quit'. Not a big deal to open the app again, but it would be nice if it would remain open to start another design or open another existing design, unless selecting 'Quit'.
This is an existing feature request for the Mac version. The current behavior is generally consistent with Windows apps (close the last window and the app closes). Not sure about Linux.

For the way things currently work, see the OpenRocket Wiki regarding the difference between "Close" and "Quit."

Close-Quit.png

Users may track this as Issue #1100.

Last edited:
Linux applications vary, since Linux itself isn't a single operating system to which everyone codes according to the same guidelines. Some Linux GUI programs close when the last document is closed, some do not. I prefer those that do not.

Edit to add: As a part-time Mac user too, I'm with you regarding the Mac.

That said, it's a minor niggle to me, not a big deal in any way.

I downloaded it onto my iMac and all I get is this:
“OpenRocket 22.02.beta.03” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Hm, does this happen for all your designs? I just compared a beta 1 and beta 3 export and both had the same file size (4 kB) for the 'A simple model rocket' design when saving as 'Save Only primary figures'

The attached file is a rough initial CG/CP feasibility study, not even close to a final design. It is saved as "Only primary figures", predicted to be 1k, but is 104k. Please let me know what you get when you load and then save it in the same save mode.

Attachments

• M982 Excalibur b3.ork
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
The attached file is a rough initial CG/CP feasibility study, not even close to a final design. It is saved as "Only primary figures", predicted to be 1k, but is 104k. Please let me know what you get when you load and then save it in the same save mode.
I see, well first of all, the predicted file size is just plain wrong. I've issued a new issue to fix the file size prediction.

The reason why your file size is so big is because of the textures in your design file. I see 4 different textures: balsa.jpg, chute.jpg, spiral-wound-alpha.png and wood.jpg. They take up 106 kB in the design file. The actual plain text design file is only 16 kB, as it should be.

So in short: the predicted file size is badly off and your file size is so large because of custom textures from your design.

I see, well first of all, the predicted file size is just plain wrong. I've issued a new issue to fix the file size prediction.

The reason why your file size is so big is because of the textures in your design file. I see 4 different textures: balsa.jpg, chute.jpg, spiral-wound-alpha.png and wood.jpg. They take up 106 kB in the design file. The actual plain text design file is only 16 kB, as it should be.

So in short: the predicted file size is badly off and your file size is so large because of custom textures from your design.
I have a vague recollection of having the default textures for the different component types end up as custom textures in one of my ORK files. It was a long time ago and did not reproduce easily. Maybe that's what happened here.

Why is there any "predicting" of file size?

Yes, I looked at the raw file during my investigation prior to posting this and saw those *.jpg designations and thought that the fact that I had simply looked at the 3D version with finish might be the reason for the file sizes. The textures are automatically assigned to the saved file by the material choices, but only if the 3D view with finish is viewed before saving?

Anyway, the only reason I brought up the file size issue in the first place is because some web sites might limit the size of files that can be attached.

Finally, THANK YOU you for such a great application.

Is there a library of files that others have done on rockets and if so, how do I access it?

Back