An SR-71 story.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering, on this ugly aircraft, (which should fly as a rocket), since it was for the Navy, it would need to land on carriers. For carrier aircraft they keep the landing gear short, so that it stays strong and can withstand the shocks of the controlled crash called a landing. That said, with those two long fins on the bottom, they must fold upwards for landing and take-off, or else the landing gear has to be quite long, which would be contrary to the Navy's normal conditions. What's up? I did think the F-8U Crusader was a plane of beauty though. I believe John Glenn set a trans-continental speed record in one in the late 50's or early 60's, in the pre-Phantom and pre-NASA days, I beleive.

I have not seen any one mention this. I read somewhere that on the A-12/F-12A, that with the nose chines cut back 6' for this single seat fighter, (that was suppose to carry nuclear tipped hypersonic missiles; those Hughes missiles ended up in a variation on the F-14 Tomcat)with the chines cut back for the radar, the plane had severe oscillations, and so on this version of the aircraft, there was a center line dorsal fin, on the bottom of the airframe that would fold down after take-off to give the plane more stability. It folded back up for landing. I have photographs of the F-12 with the fin both up and down in flight. It was an interesting concept, as I recall. The plane was to race towards Soviet bomber formations, and fire the missile. The missile would go into the middle of the formation and detonate, blowing all of the bombers out of the sky. The missile had a range of 200 miles. Which fuel was in it and can we have some? Surely it must be old technology now.

On the SR-71, the nose chines went all the way to the point of the nose on the radome, and so the stability was recovered and the lateral fin was not necessary. At least this is what I recall.

BEAR,

Yep, you're correct, the ventral fins on the Crusader III did fold up for gear down operations (landing, ground ops, takeoff).

The YF-12A also used this technology. I read that at least one time, the folding fin ripped off, but they never replaced it because it didn't add that much to the stability of the aircraft.

The missile you are thinking of is the AIM-47 Falcon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-47_Falcon

It initially was tied to the development of the F-108 Rapier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF-108_Rapier

...which at one point considered using the F-103 as a launch testbed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-103

...and which was tied to the development of the XB-70 Valkyrie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie.

The missile survived, after conversion to the AIM-54 Phoenix: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-54_Phoenix

...which tried to find a home on the Missileer (looked like a straight winged A-6): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F6D_Missileer

...then here on the F-111B: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics/Grumman_F-111B

...before finally arriving on the Tomcat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat

Whew! It's like a spider's web...

FC

Last edited:
Dear Fast Cargo, (as we go more formal)

Thank you for the Christmas present of all the reading material. As you know, I love to learn and acquire more data/input. My wife wonders how I can spend so much time on the computer, as she sits upstairs watching the TV. I try to make my brain similar to a sponge and absorb as much information as possible. I find it fun and relaxing. So thanks again. I shall un-wrap each page slowly.

Best regards and Merry Christmas,

BEAR

Thanks for posting this! what a great read. gave me chills practically. She's in her element at mach speeds & what a black beauty.

Thanks for the cool link.

If anyone is interested, Ben Rich's book Skunk Works is fascinating and well written. He writes about the difficulties of building the SR-71, including Russian sourced titanium, and the F-117 and the U-2.
https://tinyurl.com/chzf6t2

That's one of my favorite books - I don't know how many times I've read it. Definitely a wonderful read, and it reveals a lot about the design and manufacture of Lockheed's aircraft around the time of the cold war.

I think Vought was going to use one of those engines in a variation of the F-8U called the Super Crusader (F-8U-3).

You know, I decided to do some further research into this, because it was tickling the back of my mind...

It turns out that Vought had actually done two studies into the Crusader derivatives. The first one was what eventually became the Crusader III, powered by the J-75. The second one was a Crusader III that would have been powered by the J-58. However, it never progressed beyond a paper proposal, and there is very little information on it other than that one statement.

So, turns out we were both right.

FC

Never seen the SR-71fly. 8( Been to several air shows where they were supposed to fly but were no-shows. Was at DC for the Smithsonian delivery flight but was stuck inside. Closest I've come to SR-71 "live action" was meeting Bill Weaver who was the L-1011 pilot for the NuSTAR launch.

You know, I decided to do some further research into this, because it was tickling the back of my mind...

It turns out that Vought had actually done two studies into the Crusader derivatives. The first one was what eventually became the Crusader III, powered by the J-75. The second one was a Crusader III that would have been powered by the J-58. However, it never progressed beyond a paper proposal, and there is very little information on it other than that one statement.

So, turns out we were both right.

FC

Well, FC, I guess I am in good company with you along. I also recall that the Crusader III was to be a replacement for I think the Crusader. The Navy was looking for a new plane and had a contest/fly-off. The winner was the F-4 Phantom II, because the Navy had a concept that stated they wanted two man crews in the planes, to prevent pilot overload. That is why we have a couple of generation of two man interceptor/fighters. The North American F-107 Ultra Sabre was in this same mix, offered as the replacemnt to the F-100 Super Sabre. I think it was to use upgraded/ improved versions of the almost same flying surfaces as the F-100, similar to the Sabreliner using a lot of F-100 components, as I have been told. (Of course my source could have been all wet also, but I kinda doubt it.)

Well, FC, I guess I am in good company with you along. I also recall that the Crusader III was to be a replacement for I think the Crusader. The Navy was looking for a new plane and had a contest/fly-off. The winner was the F-4 Phantom II, because the Navy had a concept that stated they wanted two man crews in the planes, to prevent pilot overload. That is why we have a couple of generation of two man interceptor/fighters. The North American F-107 Ultra Sabre was in this same mix, offered as the replacemnt to the F-100 Super Sabre. I think it was to use upgraded/ improved versions of the almost same flying surfaces as the F-100, similar to the Sabreliner using a lot of F-100 components, as I have been told. (Of course my source could have been all wet also, but I kinda doubt it.)

My favorite part of aviation history is the post WWII to Vietnam War era of military flight. This was the time when jets were new, and just about anything and everything was tried. Of that era, the subset that interests me the most are the 'what-ifs', 'could have beens', 'should have beens'. Things like the Crusader III, YF-12A, F-108, etc. You are quite correct on the Phantom/Crusader III competition...the -3 in a lot of ways had superior performance to the Phantom, but the radar was complex, and the USN was not fond of single engine ops.

Also, you are correct on the Ultra Sabre...the main wing and tailplane were very similar to the older Super Sabre. The vertical stab was different in that it was a single moving piece. It actually performed quite well, even though it's shape was unusual (the intake - considered to be one the first variable geometry jet intakes - was mounted above and behind the cockpit). The 'man eater' was also seriously considered for production instead of the F-105 Thunderchief. There is some debate as to if they were in actual competition for a contract (a 'flyoff' was held between the F-107 and F-105 after the Sabre had completed its test program), or if the F-107 was a hedge in case the F-105 encountered significant delays in its development.

I actually have very good photos of the F-107 that I took when I visited the National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. I was working on bringing the Ultra Sabre into a combat flight simulation and needed some good references.

This is what the F-107 could have been doing had it been approved for production...

gallery1210543397972qw6.jpg

FC

Most of this happened before I was born, (1960) I think, it was a fasanating time in avaition. I hope it nevers stops.

My favorite part of aviation history is the post WWII to Vietnam War era of military flight. This was the time when jets were new, and just about anything and everything was tried. Of that era, the subset that interests me the most are the 'what-ifs', 'could have beens', 'should have beens'. Things like the Crusader III, YF-12A, F-108, etc.
FC

Ah, have you seen the https://www.up-ship.com/eAPR/index.htm site?

Oh, cool. I'd never seen photos of the F-107 in flight before. Thanks for posting.

Edit: Okay, now that my eyes are open, that looks awfully photoshopped. My mistake. :eek:

Last edited:

I have it bookmarked in fact! Unfortunately, I have a lot of the stuff he offers in my various 'dead tree editions' or in the public domain and there isn't enough stuff that I don't have to quite justify spending the money.

Not yet anyway...

I like having the modeling skills available to take a lot of these proposals, build and put them in realistic scenarios to see how well they may have fared. Imagine trying to run intercepts in the F-103 with the AIM-4 Falcons and FFARs...using the periscope to see out the front. I've done that...and it kind of sucks!

Or taking the B-70 and trying to use it as a conventional (non nuclear) bomber with standard dumb bombs. You think a 'stick' dropped by a BUFF at high alt was spread out enough...imagine tripling the speed and doubling the altitude. It sounds sexy to drop a dumb bomb at Mach 3 and 80k+ feet...but tactically worthless.

FC

An SR-71 was reported to have visited KI Sawyer AFB near Marquette, MI for a touch-n-go back in the 80s. The Blackbird performed what was known as "the checkmark".

I just copied this from a website about the SR-71 and thought you might enjoy it.

I always liked the story of the call to an air traffic control facility (I don't recall which ARTCC it might have been) in California:

AFCALLSIGN: "Center this is AFCALLSIGN, requesting clearance to flight level 600 [sixty thousand feet]."

ATC (chuckling over mic): "AFCALLSIGN, if you can get up there, you can have it."

AFCALLSIGN: "Ma'am, we're an SR71 en route to Beale. We're descending to flight level 600. And we don't do turns."

Oh, cool. I'd never seen photos of the F-107 in flight before. Thanks for posting.

Edit: Okay, now that my eyes are open, that looks awfully photoshopped. My mistake. :eek:

Not Photoshopped...just a simulation screenshot.

Here's a pic of the real thing in flight:

f-107a.jpg

FC

Latest posts

Back