AMW Inc. looking for ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys as im sure that Paul and Others like myself would appreciate if we really tried to suggest stuff and not joke or debate in here. Its appearant that AMW is really serious about trying to do things for the Customer. As well as it should be a spectacular statment of the kind of people that AMW are. Anyone that has met them should know that as I have know paul since his kosdon east days part time and him also being a Plumber.. So if we could get back to being on the topic of serious suggestions of what should AMW do. Not what they can or cant. They should decide that. I think it would be great and a big help.. We have a real cool thing going here. How many manufactures have you ever heard say hey we want to make some new products But we want to see what YOU the customer has in mind.. Pretty cool if you ask me. So let er rip guys!!!!

I wasn't joking.

I will pay big money for a green sparky.

this is not the first time I've asked (tons of EXers, and now AMW), nor will it be the last.

:D :D :D

I too would LOVE a green sparky, especially if easy to light :D

Originally posted by cjl
I too would LOVE a green sparky, especially if easy to light :D

WOOT!! I would pay good money for one too. A nice 38/390 sparky and sparky green woudl be nice :)

thanx, Ben

I'm going to PM joel right now, It's green sparky time in my place!

I wasnt refering to you Joking Nate I just think what The AMW Gang wants from us is real Sincere suggestions. (and I think yours is and a good one at that)

I just belive we should all take the best adavnatge to help shape our hobby as we do have a manufacture that cares on our opinion of what we want.. That doesnt mean you can always have it.. but atleast they want to listen.

I also would go Big for a nice Red and sparky motor.. !!!

Blueberry skidmark.

I'm looking for it in 76mm... any size. :)

Here is another couple of ideas..

A Sparky with red or green sparks.

How about a 54mm Tracking smoke/Delay forward closure?

Now my only problem with sparky motors is the fire issues. Where we fly we have seen it easy to have one of these start a fire. Last thing a guy wants is for his pride and joy on a great flight but cant watch cause he has to put out a fire..

I still would say Long burn motors motors with Big punch and the really long Case motors. I would like to see more options of loads in the 98mm and 75mm cases.

29mm, as i recall, nobody from AMW has stated in this thread that they would not persue a 29mm line of hardware/reloads, it was stated by a third party, so i'd still like to hear AMW's feedback to that. im not trying to be a PITA, im just saying, i think AMW could have a great opportunity here to shake things up market share wise, and i for one, along with many others (doug has already expressed his opinion) would buy 29mm hardware and reloads from AMW as soon as they hit the shelf, and i have no problems paying more for reloads from a company which i know takes great care to satisfy the customer. thats my stance.

I have to say... anything sparky. What would be really cool to go along with the green sparky:) would be a red sparky. and LOUD!!!!! i never really like "high performance" (aalthough they are great) you never see the rockets after so far. So like i sayed colored sparkies(with a kick and rour). I would also love t see just the plain skid in 38mm and 29mm.

it was stated by a third party

No...it was cut/pasted from an e-mail sent to me by "Jim" @ AMW on Monday. Here's the entire thing (question & answer):

Dean:

Thanks for your interest in AMW.

Sorry, No 29mm in our horizon.
The 29mm HPR market has too little revenue .vs the investment for us to be interested.
The 29mm LPR market is not of interest at all.
Between the additional liability being exposed to selling into the 14-21 year old market, the CPSC regulations, and hobby shop retail market - wholesale rules; we would need to sell 25,000-50,000 29mm "F" motors a MONTH to justify entering the 29mm market. Even Aerotech will admit to make any money in the LPR market requires huge volume. With the overall rocketry market currently 30% of the revenue that existed prior to 9/11, the required volume level is not available in the market, period. It would be even worse if what does exist was spread between even more manufacturers.

Warm Regards.
AMW Zoo Keepers
www.animalmotorworks.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 11:43 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Now That You've Done 38mm...Any Plans for 29mm??
Importance: High

That pretty much says it all.

While I'm building up to 38/54 dual-deploy stuff...I currently have a small fleet of 29mm rockets, and I don't plan on ever shelving them. And it seems to me that this is a very big market segment...Born Again-ers who get into mid-power thru Level 1 & thru I power stuff. We're pretty much your ideal market...we care more about 'cool-ness' than we do maximum altitudes!! Not to mention that 29's make for great clustering!!

So...do you have them in your pipeline? Do you think I'm right about any of my points? I'm sure you know AT is working on a green propellant...it'd be a shame to let them maintain/expand the stranglehold they have in this motor size...especially with YOUR signature color(s).!!!

Please let me know..even if it's hugely vague..."probably sometime in 2007" or something.

Thank you!!

Dean Smith
Libertyville, IL

Originally posted by rrocket
Also, thinking of trying to start to plan a "personal project.".
Heck it's been OVER 10 years ago,that we flew the first sucessful full "OuR" motor R-21,000.
Some how; over a Million NS has a nice sound to it??

We need to do something, that will be remembered in another 10 years!!
How bout some thoughts, and of course we will be looking for a few "Good Persons" to assist..

I say skip the "S" motor and go for a "T".

Call it T-Rex (or whatever you like).

Build an upscale of a well known rocket, i.e. a 36 inch Big Daddy, or a 40 inch Quark, or a 48 inch Pterodactyl (to go with the T-Rex theme).

Call it the "Jurassic Motor Works Rocket"

Stuff the motor in the rocket.

Launch it.

Scare the hell out of NASA.

Take pictures and video.

Post everything here and on your website.

Of course let us know ahead of time where and when you will launch. I want to see this real bad.:D

As another "small field" New England rocketeer, I will add my voice for some lower impulse 38mm motors (120, 180, and 240 N-s would all be nice).

I can understand that the manufacturing costs for 29mm are significantly higher than the equivalent 38mms or larger motors. However, since you're already producing 38mm grains, it seems to me to be a fairly easy matter to make some smaller 38mm motors in the 120N-s to 240N-S range. I tend to favor the 38mm size for that total impulse range because of their generally longer burn times than 29mm with the same propellent .

I hope to fly a 38/390 AMW soon but it's definitely at the upper end of what will keep my rockets on the field that I commonly fly on.

And, of course, green sparky sounds cool!

-- Jim

while 29mm would be nice I do think some smaller 38mm's would be here sooner. I would like to see some 38mm Purple Parrot and a Red Rhino in the 38/390. Along with the skid ;) I am going to start on a PML Endevour and I would like to add 4 24mm MMT's and fly a 38/390 or 38/640 skid with some airstarted F24's for some extra affect.

I still think some Green Sparkies or some White Sparkies would be cool.

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by constevens
Now my only problem with sparky motors is the fire issues. Where we fly we have seen it easy to have one of these start a fire. Last thing a guy wants is for his pride and joy on a great flight but cant watch cause he has to put out a fire..

I still would say Long burn motors motors with Big punch and the really long Case motors. I would like to see more options of loads in the 98mm and 75mm cases.

This may be a little difficult for AMW to try. Maybe, its pushing it too, but since sparkies can cause fires so easily, why don't they make a motor that starts as a different propellant (like white wolf or super tiger) and quickly (say, about .25 sec.) changes to a skid? That way, most of the motor will be a skid, but the sparks will be cooled down in temperature so it can't start i fire? Like I said, this suggestion may be out of reach to achieve, but that'll put a likely end to fires caused by sparkies.

Originally posted by jj94
This may be a little difficult for AMW to try. Maybe, its pushing it too, but since sparkies can cause fires so easily, why don't they make a motor that starts as a different propellant (like white wolf or super tiger) and quickly (say, about .25 sec.) changes to a skid? That way, most of the motor will be a skid, but the sparks won't be hot enough to cause a fire? Like I said, this suggestion may be out of reach to achieve, but that'll put a likely end to fires caused by sparkies.

another thing is have one grain be the designated first grain and have it be a supe short frain w/o titanium (the sparks) that only burn for .2 seconds or so.

thanx, Ben

ok guys, there's just some things you can't do with rocket motors... color changing sparks is one of them.

having it change propellants halfway through would be difficult since the motors burn from the core and the ends, you'd have to cast a small grain around the mandrel, then another propellant around that first grain... the production would be frighteningly hard, and mass producing enough for everyone to fly that would take years... unless there's some fancy machine to do that now, in which case I guess it would be cool.

oooooooh,

how about a green flame with magneta sparks, red, white, and blue smoke and sings god bless america on launch....with smoke rings and smells like roses. Should burn for three hours and be a full ZZZ in 18mm.

Long burn high performance motors.....you already have all the knob effects except polka dot smoke, so take over the rest of the market.....have to admit a 38mm long burn K would be sweet....no effects necessary.

Oh yeah,

and how about a girlfriend for each guy that buys one!!!

More colors/propellants in the 38mm line plus larger and smaller cases. The 38mm line is affordable by most flyers so go there.
Fill out the 54mm cases with all the propellant selections.
My biggest wish right now is an AMW dealer in close proximity to my launch field.:D

Originally posted by jcsalem
As another "small field" New England rocketeer, I will add my voice for some lower impulse 38mm motors (120, 180, and 240 N-s would all be nice).

I can understand that the manufacturing costs for 29mm are significantly higher than the equivalent 38mms or larger motors. However, since you're already producing 38mm grains, it seems to me to be a fairly easy matter to make some smaller 38mm motors in the 120N-s to 240N-S range. I tend to favor the 38mm size for that total impulse range because of their generally longer burn times than 29mm with the same propellent .

I hope to fly a 38/390 AMW soon but it's definitely at the upper end of what will keep my rockets on the field that I commonly fly on.

And, of course, green sparky sounds cool!

-- Jim

agreed 155%...lower impulse 38's would be a start, some small H's, possibly a G, but god love AMW if they introduce a 29mm line...would be the easiest rocketry related purchase i've ever had to make...

Originally posted by Nate
ok guys, there's just some things you can't do with rocket motors... color changing sparks is one of them.

having it change propellants halfway through would be difficult since the motors burn from the core and the ends, you'd have to cast a small grain around the mandrel, then another propellant around that first grain... the production would be frighteningly hard, and mass producing enough for everyone to fly that would take years... unless there's some fancy machine to do that now, in which case I guess it would be cool.
It's not really changing propellants is it? It's only really changing one part of the propellant which is the metal that creates the sparks. I dunno though, I pretty much know nothing about that feild so tell me if i'm wrong. I agree though, it would be very hard to do. But I believe it is possible with a little (a lot) hard work. Maybe a thin lining of some material to separate the propellants as they dry.

Originally posted by Flamboyant
It's not really changing propellants is it? It's only really changing one part of the propellant which is the metal that creates the sparks. I dunno though, I pretty much know nothing about that feild so tell me if i'm wrong. I agree though, it would be very hard to do. But I believe it is possible with a little (a lot) hard work. Maybe a thin lining of some material to separate the propellants as they dry.

well I suppose that depends on how you interpret the question... if you mean a bunch of different metal sparks...then I suppose that's possible, I was picturing sparks that changed colors after they left the nozzle... Ie, starts white, then changes to green then red outside the motor...

the problem with changing effects in core burning motors is the layering of propellants (as mentioned in my previous post).

however, if they can do it, I'm in! :)

Originally posted by Nate
well I suppose that depends on how you interpret the question... if you mean a bunch of different metal sparks...then I suppose that's possible, I was picturing sparks that changed colors after they left the nozzle... Ie, starts white, then changes to green then red outside the motor...

the problem with changing effects in core burning motors is the layering of propellants (as mentioned in my previous post).

however, if they can do it, I'm in! :)
Can't remember where I read this but somebody layered the propellants in concetric rings and it worked but as a production motor the cost would be monumental.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by rrocket
rrocket

AMW looking for ideas.
All right Guys & Girls.

Time to help the Zoo Keepers out..So we can better serve you!!

We are coming out shortly with White Wolf in the 38/390 and 64o casing.
Yes, we also plan on putting the skid in the 390 case.

Those are next for certification shortly..

In spite of large cost increases in raw material, we are doing our best to help out in this high gas priced slow economy, by holding to our ancient prices!!

With your continued support, maybe we can keep prices down..
Simple, buy more, and it helps us with our cost..

So her's a question..

Now please, NO weird, one of a kind stuff..

What would you want us to make for our great customer base, that MOST everybody would buy??

Ps We are also putting the WW in the 98/17500 case, and a limited amount of Skid in that case as well..

Do you want us to put WW in the 75mm-7600 case??

We are looking into producing a certified O motor in 6"
It will be our typical DOM(Mill Run) tubing, with VERY high quality graphite nozzles..
It will be a lighter /stronger casing than what most Research people are offering..
Parts will be CNC machined, so there will be direct interchange from motor to motor.
Just like we now have.

The first motor will probably be about 48" long, and we will do Blue, and perhaps a "High Gain"propellant(and you thought we were running out of propellant choices:)
I think we still have 4 propellants classified, that few have seen!!
ISP will be over 245.

We are also looking at supplying High Quality components to the research group.. Hard to fight city hall:)

They might cost a couple dollars more, but you will be getting a Custom/High quality items..
This will probably be a separate division..

Also, thinking of trying to start to plan a "personal project.".
Heck it's been OVER 10 years ago,that we flew the first sucessful full "OuR" motor R-21,000.
Some how; over a Million NS has a nice sound to it??

We need to do something, that will be remembered in another 10 years!!
How bout some thoughts, and of course we will be looking for a few "Good Persons" to assist..

Now, that should keep you with plenty to think about.
Don't be shy, all ideas are welcome..

The chief Zookeper is (getting bored!!) :)

Again thanks to "ALL" of you for the great support, and making this one of our best years so far!!

Maybe we can double it next year..With you help..

Yes, you very patient people in Kalifornia should see some wild animals in your state also..

Thanks in advance for some feedback with your thoughts..

Paul Robinson , Keeper of the animals...

A "Dirty Harry"/"Smokey Bear" load for the 54mm 2550Ns case,
closest thing to the good old Vulcan L750 Smokey Sam.
This would be fun in a 54mm minimum diameter...

THX, John

Back