Altimeter Beep Counter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great question. I could if we outlaw sparkies. I have hearing loss and poor sound accommodation due to a blast injury. I no longer have the ability to tighten and loosen the ear drum. Loud noises are magnified by the hearing aid too much. I wore them once and was sick for 8-10 hours.
Sorry about the hearing issue, must be tough in your line of work where communication is key. Much of mine was from a DPICM a friend stepped on about 10 feet away. I was lucky, shrapnel got 3 other guys. Most people have no idea how maddening tinnitus 24/7 is tho. I don't wear my aids to launches, to much volume variance for me. Probably much like your issue although they tell me it's mostly hair cell damage in my case.

Rich, I was reacting to yours (and Cris Erving’s) comments that adding bluetooth would greatly increase the size of the unit. I would think that for deployment altimeters, if they are really that much bigger/more complex then the effect of adding a tiny BLE component as on the one I imaged last night would be even less - from an overall device size perspective.

But John’s point about software is certainly a good one, spoken by one who knows and has been there.
The space issue I have observed with deployment alts is that all of them have lots of components mounted on both sides of the board leaving no additional space for BLE or WiFi without making the board either thicker via stacking a daughter board or longer/wider. Currently I have Quantums, Quarks, Protons, TRS (which is relatively huge by itself), RRC2 and RRC3. SLCF's are similar in size to RRC2's. Dave K flies Marsa and its a large altimeter though it has a LOT of functions. I think (my opinion here) that people are trying to get more functionality in smaller and smaller rockets and increasing the size of the altimeters is not always a good option a BT50 sized rocket is one heck of a squeeze to get both a battery and an altimeter into a coupler sized bay even one 4" long, and I am getting ready to do just that with a 3d printed sled and a Eggtimer Quark).

On the beeping thank goodness my hearing is only slightly impacted at this point in my life, and the alts with dual tones allow me to choose one that is easier to hear, I am a truck driver by trade so the "industrial range" is where my hearing loss is at (which is also where women and small childrens voices are....:)). A "listening" tool would be nice though.

The space issue I have observed with deployment alts is that all of them have lots of components mounted on both sides of the board leaving no additional space for BLE or WiFi without making the board either thicker via stacking a daughter board or longer/wider. Currently I have Quantums, Quarks, Protons, TRS (which is relatively huge by itself), RRC2 and RRC3. SLCF's are similar in size to RRC2's. Dave K flies Marsa and its a large altimeter though it has a LOT of functions. I think (my opinion here) that people are trying to get more functionality in smaller and smaller rockets and increasing the size of the altimeters is not always a good option a BT50 sized rocket is one heck of a squeeze to get both a battery and an altimeter into a coupler sized bay even one 4" long, and I am getting ready to do just that with a 3d printed sled and a Eggtimer Quark).

On the beeping thank goodness my hearing is only slightly impacted at this point in my life, and the alts with dual tones allow me to choose one that is easier to hear, I am a truck driver by trade so the "industrial range" is where my hearing loss is at (which is also where women and small childrens voices are....:)). A "listening" tool would be nice though.
Probably a terrible comment, but sometimes it is lovely to "not hear very well" women and childrens' pitch of voices. Yeah I'm going down. :D

The Strattologger CF's have a connector for external speaker or LED. You can mount a LED in the airframe or switch band and plug it in when prepping.

Has anyone ever thought about making a counter for the beeps on altimeters? I use a sethoscope because I cannot wear my hearing aids on the field. Some brands allow the use of an LED.

It seems so simple to develop.
Not sure if this helps you CW but I just built a Quark and I substituted an LED and a resistor for the buzzer. It is also mounted remotely. Should be able to do this on most of the EF products.

Not sure if this helps you CW but I just built a Quark and I substituted an LED and a resistor for the buzzer. It is also mounted remotely. Should be able to do this on most of the EF products.

Thanks

Back