cheap bionic hears for altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexzogh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought some cheap modules on eBay that converted sound SPL to light-up LEDs to make it easier for us old-timers to hear altimeter beeps on the bad - https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/altimeter-beep-counter.160146/post-2013803 . I did get it to work, but it was excruciating. I had to add a physical transducer that would touch the rocket and a small amp. When it was complete, it wasn't a tiny 'bring to the pad in your pocket' solution I was hoping for, and worse - the LED's weren't bright enough for the afternoon sun, creating a whole new problem.

I was on Temu a few weeks ago and saw this product for $5. I bought a couple to try it out.

ear.png

All I can say is WOW. This really is the solution!

The small barrel has a metal transducer at the end on a spring that will pick up the slightest vibrations on your rocket - in fact, you need to be careful holding it or you will blow your ears out. Altimeter noises sound like they are in your head with this little unit. It has an integrated lithium battery and charges via a USB cable.

Temu is like most Chinese product-selling websites - you will find multiple vendors at multiple price points selling the exact same product and their prices seem to be dynamic. If a lot of people click on the link above, the prices will go up so make sure you shop around on the site

No idea how this cheaply-made thing will last, but for $5 it has a home in my range box.

20230629_155437.jpg20230629_155448.jpg

Back