AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, but I was hoping to see some FG model rocket motors.
Maybe Aerotech could consider FG reloadables that are long thrust motors?
End burning motors don’t work well with standard RMS forward closures. It is possible to engineer something that will work but that would be aways off, given our other priorities right now.

Last edited:
M4500 to L1000. Hell yeah! The boost was awesome, sustainer failed to ignite, mechanical failure in the sustainer.
Next time!!

I have an old J180T-M, that I wanted to convert the delay to long.. I ordered a pack of RDK-30 plus that's specifically lists only the J180T-L on the front.. the main issue is the diameter of the old delay grain is larger than the RDK30 and the RDK30 is very loose inside the phenolic delay liner provided with the kit...do I need another cardboard delay liner to snug it up? This old kit has the 2 inner and outer delay orings and delay backup ring (plus an old copperhead ignitor). No date codes on the paperwork.. thank you

I have an old J180T-M, that I wanted to convert the delay to long.. I ordered a pack of RDK-30 plus that's specifically lists only the J180T-L on the front.. the main issue is the diameter of the old delay grain is larger than the RDK30 and the RDK30 is very loose inside the phenolic delay liner provided with the kit...do I need another cardboard delay liner to snug it up? This old kit has the 2 inner and outer delay orings and delay backup ring (plus an old copperhead ignitor). No date codes on the paperwork.. thank you
Wrap some masking tape around the delay so it's snug - not - tight, then assemble. Use the instructions that came with the motor and make it the old way.

More details and pictures
Student project. I don't have pictures or videos yet. The sustainer igniter failed to light the L1000. We found it cracked. We've had a few of those do that on the pad. Electronics were all in working order. The sustainer free fell, but the electronics deployed the main at 700' and suffered no damage. Booster was recovered by shovel. The boost from the M4500 was epic.

You found *What* cracked ? The motor case ? The nozzle? Epoxy joints? What was you initiator?

It sounds like he is referring to the standard AT dipped pyrogen ignitor head. The pyrogen can crack/split/crumble depending on how it is handled.

Though, I would seriously question the OP's use of a wire-wrap ignitor for second stage ignition. When you factor in the expense of a 3 grain 98mm ST reload and an L1000, coupled with the complexity of staging. I would ask, who is the mentor or the one guiding the decision making process on this project? Obviously there are some semi-deep pockets on this team given the aforementioned motors. Generally (actually more than generally), a high current ignitor (wire-wrap being one of them) is rarely if ever chosen for sustainer ignition as its ability to reliably fire and not brownout the avionics is well known to be questionable at best. E-matches or another means of low current, fast acting ignitor is used by experienced users nearly 100% of the time.

It sounds like he is referring to the standard AT dipped pyrogen ignitor head. The pyrogen can crack/split/crumble depending on how it is handled.

Though, I would seriously question the OP's use of a wire-wrap ignitor for second stage ignition. When you factor in the expense of a 3 grain 98mm ST reload and an L1000, coupled with the complexity of staging. I would ask, who is the mentor or the one guiding the decision making process on this project? Obviously there are some semi-deep pockets on this team given the aforementioned motors. Generally (actually more than generally), a high current ignitor (wire-wrap being one of them) is rarely if ever chosen for sustainer ignition as its ability to reliably fire and not brownout the avionics is well known to be questionable at best. E-matches or another means of low current, fast acting ignitor is used by experienced users nearly 100% of the time.

Everything this guy said ♤

100% we had a team fire a sparky motor in the sustainer of a two stage this past season using an augmented ematch. Hands down the way to go.

I'm coming up with a design of my own that should light nearly any motor you put it in, even blackjack.

You might have seen the precursor to it an hour ago! ;-)

You found *What* cracked ? The motor case ? The nozzle? Epoxy joints? What was you initiator?
Ah, sorry about that! This wasn't mine.. it was a student project. I was just there flying with our club! The igniter that came with the motor cracked. It wasn't secured in the motor. That M4500 is no joke, and I can see the acceleration from that motor forcing the igniter down the grains and causing it to crack....

Yes, AT igniter. The rocket wasn't mine. It was a student team. Apparently they didn't secure the ignitor in the grain and it shifted and broke. I've seen them crack on the pad before. Personally, for an air start, I would have used something different! Their rocket was beautiful and the quality of the build was very nice.

Yes, AT igniter. The rocket wasn't mine. It was a student team. Apparently they didn't secure the ignitor in the grain and it shifted and broke. I've seen them crack on the pad before. Personally, for an air start, I would have used something different! Their rocket was beautiful and the quality of the build was very nice.
So, they were trying to air start a first fire igniter? eek...no wonder it didn't work...lol

Looks like the J180 you have is from the Pre RMS+ Days, so the delay parts are NOT compatible with a RMS+ Delay Pack. Contact Aerotech and they should be able to get you the correct Delay Liner, o-ring, and spacer you need to use that old motor. OH I remember the two o-ring system.

hey Gary and friends, do all of the 38mm DMS motors use the same printed thrust ring? I don't see the dimensions of the OD and length on the RCS drawings for the H45W. I do have a J425 that I can measure the thrust ring on, if they are all the same.

Thanks!!

hey Gary and friends, do all of the 38mm DMS motors use the same printed thrust ring? I don't see the dimensions of the OD and length on the RCS drawings for the H45W. I do have a J425 that I can measure the thrust ring on, if they are all the same.

Thanks!!
They are all the same.

I saw the post on Facebook about the two-part stainless 1/8” launch rods with threaded interconnect. When will those be available? Is the thread a standard size?

I saw the post on Facebook about the two-part stainless 1/8” launch rods with threaded interconnect. When will those be available? Is the thread a standard size?
They are shipping in starter sets now, I'm not sure when they will be available for individual purchase, and I will have to inquire about the thread size. Just guessing, 0.75mm x 0.25mm.
IMG_6947.jpeg

Back