AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, even if it's a completely different set of profiles, I just really want some F motors for the 29/40-120 case with a total impulse of 60 or more that don't require hazmat shipping.

I'm in on that. I've got 6 cases..... I'd love some F's, a red G, and a blue G that wont tear the case up. Coreburning on both please? :)

I have a question in that I cannot purchase an AT 24/40 motor case directly from your website. I can get closure and reloads but NO case. I have had a couple of orders cancelled with 'discontinued' as the reason. I have been given several leads for the casing and will follow up on them.

Interestingly, when I go to the RCS web store there are NO grains in 24mm. 18mm are still there.

I was wondering if you could respond to this question.

Thank you for your time and for direct interaction with the public. (I know it leads to massive headaches sometimes but we try to behave here).:bangpan:

Last edited:
Concerning the availability of 54/2560 Hardware. I have been waiting to have an order filled through buyrocketmotors.com since June 18th. Was wondering when this specific hardware might become available?

There was a failure at Potter of an old L1000. As of yet, no one has contacted us. If you have this flyers info, please inbox me.

I'm kicking myself for not getting a photo of the motor. Here's the photo's. Not sure what lot it was from. Other fliers talked to them and said that they called to verify the lot number was new, but I can't verify that. The igniter was installed at the top of the motor, as I believe the instructions say, so I don't think that was the issue.

You can see the casing come out the top of the booster in the full size photos, then bounce over to the right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157656573995721

Hardware is no longer an issue but we are still looking into cross-certifying certain loads. That G138 is awesome, good luck on your flight!

Since hardware seems to be an issue, what about getting with Cesaroni and cross certifying certain large diameter reloads?

I would like to say that I've been launching AT motors for only about a year, but I've been very pleased with them and I've had no issues thus far. I've got a G138 that I plan on using the next launch I go to, which makes me a little nervous, but I'm lighting it anyway.

Thanks Dave, I was finally able to get the hardware. Now if AT will address my original questions, I would be super happy.

Now that I'm more heavily invested in 29mm motors, I'd love to see a change to the 29/40-120 reloads in the F impulse range. Any way you can develop new loads that have a multi piece grain, and don't require hazmat shipping? All the E's and almost all the G's for that case are non-hazmat, just odd that you've got that hazmat fee on the middle range motors for the case.

-Hans

I'll see what Karl says about the new loads for the 40-120 case. As far as hazmat is concerned, the only load that requires hazmat for that case is the G138. If you are being charged haz for the other loads for that case then something is amiss. Let me know where this is occurring and I will see what the deal is.

I'm late to the discussion, and I'm sure this has been brought up before. No, I did not read much of the thread. But since it's open and I have an opinion, here it is, civil. I personally have had fantastic success with AT motors for 5 years. I have a huge collection of hardware from 18mm through 38mm. I've flown D through J and everything has worked. That's pretty impressive. I was a loyal customer and AT supporter when the discussions came up over who was better.

So I was unhappy to say the least, and later just pissed off when I had to replace a lost motor. I ordered a 38/720, which is very popular and so I thought, available. Months went by and there was no hardware. I began to inquire and got one excuse, then another, and another. After more than 7 months 'some' parts were available....but not all....but they were working hard on it! By now the flying season was well under way and did what I should have done in the first place; I bought a Rouse Tech case at a launch so I could use the reloads I already had, and I cancelled the order for AeroTech and bought a Loki. (aside: Now all of a sudden I had not only hardware, but a manufacturer that gave straight answers to questions and went out of his way to be helpful.)

While all this is going on AT is pushing hard to 'simplify' what already worked, by pushing the RMS_EZ and the DMS line. Always new DMS motors coming out, and EZ becoming the standard for 38mm, but they cannot or will not get common hardware into the hands of customers they already had. The quest to be simple caused them (in my opinion) to turn their backs on loyal customers. They had a great product that was affordable and reliable, as long as you already had the hardware, probably from R-T or Dr. Rocket.

While I was waiting for my hardware I was assured the plan wasn't to have DMS replace the RMS line, yet hardware seems to be a major issue still, and DMS is growing. My opinion is that DMS is the planned future. They are so fixated on 'simple' that 'proven' has taken a back seat, at best.

I still have tons of AT reloads and I will use them up if I have the hardware, but I won't ever buy any new Aerotech sizes. For me the future is with another brand and I am excited at the prospects. I think if AeroTech wants to be open and work at solving issues and pleasing customers they may want to think about the customer base they already had in addition to those they want to win over from CTI. And in my opinion pre-built (RTF) rockets proves the fixation on oversimplification.

Hardware was an issue but the 38/720s have been in stock for months now. I am not sure who you contacted to purchase this but 7 months seems a bit much.

As for your opinion of DMS vs RMS; you are suggesting that DMS is going to replace RMS and I am here to state, rather bluntly, that will never happen. RMS represents a much larger percentage of sales than DMS.

The fixation on over simplification is not decided by us. This is what the customers decide. There is not one individual market to service but rather dozens of market segments, each with their own preferences. The hobby is changing and in this hobby you better adapt or pack it up. We aren't packing.

The F40 has 40 grams of propellant
The F22 has 46 grams
The F52 has 36 grams.

all require hazmat shipping. (unless we're all missing something.... Been paying Haz on these from multiple vendors)

Last edited:
I have no problem if some flyers who want to buy a pre built kit. Maybe some one has a health problem and just can't do a build. Its not a large market but it might help someone get out doors and have some fun.

There is a market for them but it is pretty limited. These are more of a "limited" run on the first RTFs as they are signed and numbered to 10.

A fair number of the F-sized SU motors are non-hazmat, so it seems odd that none of the RMS versions are. It's pretty much the opposite of the G-range.

The only hazmat load for the 29/40-120 case is the G138. ETA: And also the single-grain F motors for that casing: F22, F40, F52. All other loads are US mailable. Single-use F motors are also US mailable but not all of them. The F50 for instance is NOT US mailable. The 24mm SU F motors are all US mailable though.

Last edited:
I'll see what Karl says about the new loads for the 40-120 case. As far as hazmat is concerned, the only load that requires hazmat for that case is the G138. If you are being charged haz for the other loads for that case then something is amiss. Let me know where this is occurring and I will see what the deal is.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but every vendor that I've checked out online recently indicates hazmat required for the entire F-range of reloads for the 29/40-120 case. This includes buyrocketmotors.com, Hobbylinc, BMS, etc. If they shouldn't be doing that, then there's a disconnect between you and many of your distributors. This has, for me, been one of the reasons I've been reluctant to adopt your RMS system in this size range. I fly a lot of F's, and I can get Econojet single use motors without hazmat readily.

Last edited:
I think it would be easy to cut the F22J, F40W and F52T grains in half and then have the end user epoxy them back together. I wouldn't mind doing that. These are all very nice motors and it's too bad they require HAZMAT to ship.

This is added to my (Karl's) list, thanks.

The F40 has 40 grams of propellant
The F22 has 46 grams
The F52 has 36 grams.

all require hazmat shipping. (unless we're all missing something.... Been paying Haz on these from multiple vendors)

Nope, you are correct. These are single grains that are over the 30 g limit so the grains would need to be altered.

Last edited:
Concerning the availability of 54/2560 Hardware. I have been waiting to have an order filled through buyrocketmotors.com since June 18th. Was wondering when this specific hardware might become available?

It would appear that my question has been overlooked?

Nope, you are correct. These are single grains that are over the 32.5 g limit so the grains would need to be altered.
Charlie

The USPS mailing exemption limit is "not exceeding 30 grams (of propellant)" for a single use motor, or and "individual packaged" (bagged) reload grains.

The purchaser need to be reminded that rocket motors of any size incur a hazmat fee when shipped via DOT regulated common carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.) so to avoid a "surprise" hazmat fee the buyer must specify USPS for their delivery method.

Bob

Excellent questions, thanks!

I heard today that Aerotech is working on a 38mm kit
You heard correct. I have demoed it 3 times and it worked great each time. This is a completely new kit, not just a current kit with a 38mm mount. I am hoping to make this available before the holidays.

does this also mean AT is going to have a 38mm retainer?
Most likely, yes. Nothing official yet but it only makes sense.

I also heard AT or rather RCS is going to be manufacturing Quest motors in the states. If this too is true, can you confirm this and will that also mean that Q2G2's will also be made in the good ol U-S of A?
Man you have a good source :wink: Yes and Yes. Q2G2s are back in stock now also, if anyone is in the market.

What is the ETA on Quest motors?
The new Made In USA Quest motors should be available around the same time as the 38mm AT kit.

I hope I answered all of your questions, thanks for the input.

So I heard today that Aerotech is working on a 38mm kit. Any truth to this and if so, does this also mean AT is going to have a 38mm retainer? I also heard AT or rather RCS is going to be manufacturing Quest motors in the states. If this too is true, can you confirm this and will that also mean that Q2G2's will also be made in the good ol U-S of A?

If all of the above is true, a few additional questions; What kit will be 38mm? Will there be more than one 38mm kit? What is the ETA for release? What is the ETA on Quest motors?

Thanks!!

Excellent questions, thanks!

I heard today that Aerotech is working on a 38mm kit
You heard correct. I have demoed it 3 times and it worked great each time. This is a completely new kit, not just a current kit with a 38mm mount. I am hoping to make this available before the holidays.

does this also mean AT is going to have a 38mm retainer?
Most likely, yes. Nothing official yet but it only makes sense.

I also heard AT or rather RCS is going to be manufacturing Quest motors in the states. If this too is true, can you confirm this and will that also mean that Q2G2's will also be made in the good ol U-S of A?
Man you have a good source :wink: Yes and Yes. Q2G2s are back in stock now also, if anyone is in the market.

What is the ETA on Quest motors?
The new Made In USA Quest motors should be available around the same time as the 38mm AT kit.

I hope I answered all of your questions, thanks for the input.

Sorry to say but I was just told The 3" Q2G2's I have on back ordered are still not in stock (but you do have the long ones:eek:) and I just reordered another 38/720 case and that was back ordered. (as of the invoice last Friday).

The 24/40 hardware was out of stock for some time, however we have been stocked up on them for a couple months now. There should be no issues with purchasing this hardware anymore. It looks like we may have forgot to put them back on the site after we got them back in stock. Thank you for pointing this out, it is being corrected.

As far as the RCS store, the 24mm grains are not requested frequently but we should be able to offer something in the 24mm for EX.

I have a question in that I cannot purchase an AT 24/40 motor case directly from your website. I can get closure and reloads but NO case. I have had a couple of orders cancelled with 'discontinued' as the reason. I have been given several leads for the casing and will follow up on them.

Interestingly, when I go to the RCS web store there are NO grains in 24mm. 18mm are still there.

I was wondering if you could respond to this question.

Thank you for your time and for direct interaction with the public. (I know it leads to massive headaches sometimes but we try to behave here).:bangpan:

Nothing yet, still working at it. There is a huge project we are undertaking currently that is kind of taking our R&D to the limits. ;)

I hope it's not the Thruster Hitch thing and something applicable to HPR!

Thanks for keeping up with this thread, ATGM. I don't have a question for you, though...everyone here has asked them already!

Hi Charlie
I don't want to step on any toes here, but any propellant shipped UPS or FED EX goes Hazmat

Perhaps I'm missing something, but every vendor that I've checked out online recently indicates hazmat required for the entire F-range of reloads for the 29/40-120 case. This includes buyrocketmotors.com, Hobbylinc, BMS, etc. If they shouldn't be doing that, then there's a disconnect between you and many of your distributors. This has, for me, been one of the reasons I've been reluctant to adopt your RMS system in this size range. I fly a lot of F's, and I can get Econojet single use motors without hazmat readily.

Yes you are correct, there are the 3 Fs that use single grains which puts them over the allowable weight.

Yes, we have been waiting on these. These are due in later this week/early next week.

Sorry to say but I was just told The 3" Q2G2's I have on back ordered are still not in stock (but you do have the long ones:eek:) and I just reordered another 38/720 case and that was back ordered. (as of the invoice last Friday).

Q2G2s just arrived yesterday so it just missed your order shipping. We will be going through backorders for Q2G2s and filling them first so you should be getting some soon. As for the 38/720 casing, I don't see why it wouldn't ship with your order, let me see why.

I hope it's not the Thruster Hitch thing and something applicable to HPR!

Thanks for keeping up with this thread, ATGM. I don't have a question for you, though...everyone here has asked them already!

Of course it is Jet Hitch. :) (and also some HPR stuff)

Back