• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: WANTED:::::::::ESTES E9-0 Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was angled into the wind until it left the rod...

There has been a similar thread over on Yahoo Oldrockets. One member insists that he has actually launched a 2 stage triple cluster of E9-0s that he purchased at a local hobby shop.

I suspect that ESTES may have made a limited number of these engines, but no longer do so as they do not really have the 'oomph' needed for a booster stage.

with a 4-second delay, the rocket's gonna still be moving like a bat outta hell, straight whichever way it was pointing (hopefully up).

it might work...
i'd still prefer a no-delay situation

Originally posted by Fore Check
Speaking of "leaping off the pad", I still think that BT5 or BT20 based rockets that use the A3-4T or A10-3T engines jump off quicker than any I can think of.

A D40 in a BT5 rocket - 1000 MPH in .4 seconds :D :D :D

(Motor specs: 1/2" diameter, 5 5/8" long, propellant weight 13g, total weight 26g, 14 lb. thrust for .4 seconds, almost square thrust curve. 13 second delay, can be drilled as needed.)

to a website that has those in stock
i will be eternally grateful.

I dont think using a Ejection charge as a method of staging is safe. The Ejection charge would proberley shatter the nozzle rather than ignite it. ( it might do both ;) )
-Karl

You can't use a conventional motor to stage, unless you ignite the top stage electonically.

please educate me as to why.
maybe you mean to say shouldn't?

i think it'd make a really cool heads up launch...
c'mon mr/ms RSO...i promise it'll work!
but just in case...
:D

i think it's worth a static test...too bad it's nearly 2am...
think my neighbors would complain?

Elapid,
a 0 delay is different from a(3,5,7) delay motor , it doesn't have the clay cap..delay grain ,tracking smoke,,ect
but the main problem is the safety factor the rocket could easily be pointing In an unwanted direction..or even back down if it were to ignite..a powered lawn dart..an RSO wouldn't allow it

Weeeel, if you have ever made the mistake of accidently using a non-booster motor as a booster you would know. :eek: The standard motor pressurizes so fast that it just blows the sustainer off without igniting. Maybe the clay plug has something to do with it too. I can't say it would never work, just say goodbye to the rocket before you try; and make sure there is nobody or nothing around to puncture. If it did work, there is a good chance you will get a 'cruise missile' or worse. There are better things to experiment with.

in my life...

lol!
J/K!!!!

to tell you the truth, i can't recall if i ever launched a multi-staged rocket before last weekend...i don't recall any 2-stagers from my childhood (which doesn't mean i didn't launch any, just that i don't recall). so i'm pretty sure i haven't loaded up the wrong motor in the booster...when you do that, does the sustainer motor ignite?

just so you don't think i'm a TOTAL idiot...I've passed all the lower division college chemistry, physics and calculus courses, and earned an Associtae of Science degree in chemistry. i was the top student in my school in Chemistry and tested in the 99th percentile in the entire United States and was on the Dean's List for several semesters. Not that it matters for this conversation, but i was also awarded with 1993 Student of the Year in Photography at my college... :D

that said...I did a simulation and according to calculations, the rocket will still be travelling over 100 mph after a 4-second delay. that rather precludes much deviation from initial trajectory.

if less than 3 of the lower stage motors fail to ignite, it becomes less safe.

it sims to 5500' on the short-delay

the clay cap would need to be removed since it would increase the violence of the reaction by containment.

I suppose you could use an estes e9-pt with an electronic staging timer for lightweight minimal diameter models....

I know a person who recently demonstrated successfully an a10-pt to an a3-4T using a zitnan electronic staging timer......

probably the smallest and lightest and lowest powered electronic staging ever......

Back