Adhesive Vinyl for a Circut

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DAllen

Reaction score
https://www.michaels.com/cricut-exp...Azw4LS4qvw1Ze_IEqP2evYyKNFJEyGSUj8av9zVwatvS8

Anyone have one of these? If so, I am looking for good vinyl that will work in that machine and will stay on the rocket. I have an L3 I am working on that I want to put on some cut vinyl. My daughter is getting one of these Circuts and has offered to cut out whatever fits in it sooooo I'd like to take advantage of this free service haha.

DAllen

Reaction score

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What ever Sticker Shock 23 uses must be great stuff I have never had any strip off for 15 years. Used on flights from G-M size rockets.

base890

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m using oracal 651 and I like it, though nothing supersonic.

Hooked On Rockets

Reaction score
That's the machine I have and the Oracal 651 is pretty much the standard.
It's what the stickers that came with my 4" Goblin from LOC were cut from and I do believe that that is what they use at Sticker Shock.
The 651 is 0.0025" thick.
Oracal also has 751 and 951 which are only 0.002" thick so it would be a little easier to level up with clear coat if desired (which I prefer to do), but I haven't used any 751 or 951 yet.

The 651 is commonly stocked and all three are high quality vinyls.
You have nothing to fear using any of these.

https://expressionsvinyl.com/oracal-651.html
https://expressionsvinyl.com/oracal751-951.html

Mhight

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using “the paper studio” permanent vinyl from hobby lobby also the “Cricut” vinyl with good luck but I clear it with “spraymax” 2k clearcoat. Once clear coated it’s part of the rocket.
AC5D1D75-6249-4E3C-A2A2-0B60E4C92B48.jpg

caveduck

semi old rocketeer
Reaction score
Here's a link to Oracal 651 12" x 10ft rolls at $5.99 ea. from USCutter.com (my supplier of choice): https://www.uscutter.com/Oracal-651-Vinyl-12-inch-x-10-Foot-Roll I use this stuff in an old Cameo Silhouette for all my HPR decals.

Oracal 651 is the outdoor rated vinyl, while 631 is the removable indoor rated type. It won't come off rockets until you hit ablative physics at Mach 2+. Beware of cheesy stuff on Amazon / EBay.

DAllen

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm going to have to wander over to the local Michaels and see if this is something they regularly carry in stock. Seem to recall it being there the last time I was in that store.

Hooked On Rockets

Reaction score
Here's a link to Oracal 651 12" x 10ft rolls at $5.99 ea. from USCutter.com (my supplier of choice): https://www.uscutter.com/Oracal-651-Vinyl-12-inch-x-10-Foot-Roll I use this stuff in an old Cameo Silhouette for all my HPR decals.

Oracal 651 is the outdoor rated vinyl, while 631 is the removable indoor rated type. It won't come off rockets until you hit ablative physics at Mach 2+. Beware of cheesy stuff on Amazon / EBay.
Nice price!!! I'm paying a buck a sheet for 12"x12" from a place about 4 miles from the house so that looks cheaper depending on shipping costs. But 60 cents a SF ain't bad at all!!!
But better is, following your link I finally found some prices on 751 and 951...
But worse is, it's 15" wide (won't fit in my cricut without trimming the width) and it's a little bit more costly:
651 = $0.59 per 12"x12" 0.025" thick, "Up to 6 years durability"
751 = $1.89 per 15"x12" 0.020" thick "Up to 8 years durability"
951 = $1.99 per 15"x12" 0.020" thick "Up to 10 years durability"
Wish they carried the 751 and 951 at my local place!

Interesting. I'm going to have to wander over to the local Michaels and see if this is something they regularly carry in stock. Seem to recall it being there the last time I was in that store.
I would beware of anything vinyl with the Cricut name on it, after I bought my cutter, the Daughter and Sis-In-Law gave me a bunch of sheets of Cricut vinyl and I was not impressed, never explored the different grades of Cricut vinyl that I was given but would't put any of that on a rocket.
Go with Oracal would be my opinion.
Cheers!!!

OverTheTop

Reaction score
We have a Cricut at work we use for cutting all sorts of gaskets, labels, and other useful doodads. It works really well on a variety of materials and thicknesses.

If there is an issue with the Cricut vinyl being a bit sub-standard you can always purchase some 3M or other vinyl and cut that with the machine.

FYI, if you are going low in the supersonic regime (say under about 1.3ish) I suspect any decent vinyl will survive well. I put some up on a MD 54mm to Mach 1.8 and it mostly survived. There was no overcoat used on it, but it was burnished onto the airframe with care.

rharshberger

Reaction score
With Cricut vinyl there are different adhesive levels, the permanent one is best for rockets, the non-permanent for paint masks. IMO.

However the Oracal is both better and cheaper.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
We have a Cricut at work we use for cutting all sorts of gaskets, labels, and other useful doodads. It works really well on a variety of materials and thicknesses.
Sorry for the thread side-step, but since you mentioned this, what material are you cutting? I build live steam locomotives and have a few projects in the queue that will need gaskets cut. I was going to see if LOC could cut them for me (they have done some fun custom railroad-related laser cutting for me!), but I do have a Silhouette Cameo and if I can cut them that way - why the heck not?!

Back on topic...

I have cut the Cameo and Cricut vinyl for various applications. I have applied to railroad equipment and rockets. I don't think I've gone supersonic, but I have a few rockets in the queue that I'll probably make decals for. Might as well whip up some custom decals and have fun with it. I have several supersonic rockets in the build queue, so I'll be able to play with speeds :)

Back_at_it

Reaction score
Been really happy with the folks over at 651vinyl. Great selection and prices are good. I’ve also had questions along the way and they are great about putting up with all my newbie questions.

been running their stuff in my Cricut maker for about a year now

DAllen

Reaction score
Oh hey I almost forgot about this thread I started...So I went with some of the Oracal I could buy at the local Michaels (for super cheap by the way) and that stuff works GREAT in the Cricut! Made some signage for the local disc golf course this past weekend and it looks fantastic. Thanks for recommending that.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Seems like you have a solution. I've used the cheapest stuff from Amazon, in my Cricut, on a few rockets and it worked fine. The last two I recently did wouldn't release from the release paper though, or wouldn't stick to the rockets. Finally got it though.
For future reference though, Mark at Stickershock sells his vinyl by the foot.

JoeG

Reaction score
I use Oracal 651 and 751 on my rockets as well as outdoor signs, etc. I have flown vinyl decorated rockets to beyond Mach1 without a loosing it. However, you want the edges to be sealed pretty good at that speed.