ACME conformal rail guides and fin-to-fin layups.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthMuffin

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finishing up a Wildman 3 with fin-to-fin Kevlar/CF layups and getting ready to mount the rail guides. I have a set of aluminum GLR ACME conformal guides to go on next and I'm worried about the thickness of the layup making the rail guides out of alignment since one will be down there and the other on naked fiberglass tube. Is this something I should be concerned about? Best measurements I can get put the layup at about .75mm thick.

I would worry about that much difference in height. If the rocket is very long the nose cone could drag on the rail, and it won't come off the rail cleanly. I'd shim the top to make them level.

I decided to mask off a square and sand down where it mounts. Sanded off about 2 of the 3 layers. Hopefully it works.
Or, you could go the other way and build up the section where the guide is on the bare tube to match the fin can. I've done both, really depends on what seems best for each build.

Tony

Back