AA’s LOC IV Level 1 Build for the “Certify With Us” Program-Cert. Flight Successful!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the last parts made today.
Turned some Nylon down into 1010 rail buttons.

LOC IV 51.jpg

Mounted the buttons with 6/32 pan head screws.

LOC IV 52.jpg

Made the motor retainer clips with some sheet aluminum.

LOC IV 53.jpg

Still looks good for a Saturday launch!

The recovery system was assembled today.
It was made from 750lb braided Kevlar.
While putting it together, I came up with a couple of questions that I am going to put in the Support and Recovery section.

View attachment 136901

A couple of things here:

1. Make sure that the chute is attached to the cord closer to the booster than the nose section. The reason being that the booster will be pulling the chute out of the upper tube. The way you have it attached it appears that the shroud lines are longer than the cord coming out of the upper tube. You are really risking a failure.

2. You have a lot of volume you are trying to pressurize now. If I were you, I would run some sort of ejection test to confirm how much black powder you will need.

Thanks JP!

Dan,
Thanks for the reply. The line from the nose cone is quite a bit longer than the shroud lines.
The line to the booster will be bundled with masking tape so it will be only about 18" long.
I want the chute hitting the air quickly then the tape on the Kevlar breaking one section at a time to act as a shock cord..

What a beautiful day to fly!
We arrived at the Bluegrass Rocketry Society's field about 10:30 and made the rounds to see everyone.
It was good to be at the field because had not been to a club flight since March.
We were all watching the weather because the breeze was about 5 to 10 mph from the east, however
thermals were building and shifting the air over the field. The rockets were landing in different directions and a few were lost in the corn fields.
I flew my Big Daddy first and had a great flight.
The LOC-IV was prepped with the help of the other club members and the paperwork was started.
As we went out to place the rocket on the launch pad the air shifted and nearly dropped to zero.
We went up to the launch control table to get ready. About this time a small plane ventured a bit close and we had to wait about 5 minutes for it to clear the airspace. Someone missed the NOTAM.
The air stayed low so the rocket was launched.
WOW! My first HP flight!
It went up and away to the east some, and the ejection charge fired a bit late, but the recovery system deployed nicely. The drift was back toward the pad and it landed about 150 yards out into the field.
I went out and recovered the rocket and the post flight inspection was completed along with the paperwork.
Success!

Thanks again to everyone!
Kevin and Jeroen at Cesaroni Technology and the fine folks at Bluegrass Rocketry Society!

Here is the video.....
AA's Level 1 Cert Flight

Back