A "club" fleet, have I gone crazy ????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by spacecowboy
The wood putty ought to be for making the balsa fins smooth, to cover the grain up before paint.
I use wood (yellow) glue to make fillets.

Ok, fillets will be yellow glue. On the "try the 24->18 adapter." Does the adapter have to be glued in or can it just be slid in so that a person can switch back and forth for the two sizes?

TwoWalks,

Everybody here knows I use Elmer's white glue for fillets.

I use Elmer's white glue for most everything!

sndman

The adapter is something that can be removed, so you can use both engine sizes.

I'll try to find a picture or drawing tonight, if someone doesn't post one by then.

Originally posted by sandman
TwoWalks,

Everybody here knows I use Elmer's white glue for fillets.

I use Elmer's white glue for most everything!

sndman

:D With a huge career behind me in rocket building ( 1 day ) I have already used three types of glue - plastic glue, white glue, yellow glue :D

Thanks raw9jr, I would like to see the picture.

Out of some 100 rockets or more, I've used yellow wood glue on every fillet since the beginning. I like it because it is thicker, and paper is nothing but chewed up wood. It works fine.

Out of some 100 rockets or more, I've used yellow wood glue on every fillet since the beginning.

Every rocket has yellow wood glue fillets - They don't all have the "Club Fleet" colors do they?

TW
OH, NO ! Heavens no. I like other colors besides white, red, blue, gray and black.

Go back in the post on my Menace pic.
And I just finished Guardian tonight, yellow and purple. I like the paint scheme, the application was dorked up because I'm trying to get by with cheap masking tape. I have GOT to get a roll of that expensive blue tape.

BTW, you mentioned you've got all kinds of glue now. Wait for 2 months and study your spray paint collection . . . .

I just finished Guardian tonight, yellow and purple.

BTW, you mentioned you've got all kinds of glue now. Wait for 2 months and study your spray paint collection . . . .

I like Guardian, the purple must be a dark purple, on my computer it almost looks black, that yellow really stands out.

I can only imagine what the paint collection will look like ... two days and its already 4 colors - 1 primer and 1 clear. We have a autobody supply house about 4 blocks from my home and they have probably 500 colors in small spray cans used for touch up - whew a supermarket of paint colors.

With the weather turning bad I probably won't accumulate that much paint before spring thinking about it ... I do wonder how many rockets I will have for painting come April:)

TW
yes, that's a very dark purple. Thanks for the compliment. This was one of my better (intentional) paint ideas.

There's a reason the purple is really dark, something I don't think anyone else has pointed out . . . .really all brightly colored rockets look good on the pad, and on the ground after they come back home, but they tend to *disappear* in the sky, especially on a sunny day with C's, and if you're flying by yourself, which I do a lot. I learned this the hard way after painting (and losing) a bunch of flourescent colored birds. Bright Red, even gloss, is an exception to the rule, and I don't know why, I'm not an optics expert.

There's a reason the purple is really dark, something I don't think anyone else has pointed out . . . .really all brightly colored rockets look good on the pad, and on the ground after they come back home, but they tend to *disappear* in the sky, especially on a sunny day with C's

Thanks for pointing that out, I would have thought it was the opposite and that bright colors would show up better. Think I might think again about the volumne of black/yellow combination for the Fat Boy.

It's all what you want to do. Personally, I like bringing the birds back home, but there is a big kick in the pants punching 'em out of sight, too.

Sun in the eyes, sun covering up the tracking smoke, max roc alt, engine choice, and/or a reco failure all of these, and more contribute to a MIA. A roc like your BBII may disappear, even on maiden flight. Don't let that get you down if it happens. Stand up, salute it bye-bye, and go home to build another one, or better yet, launch what you have left. It takes the edge off losing one.

Uh, Fatboy, paint that thing any color you want. it's big enough to spot, and the wide BT keeps it very low.

You gotta get out there and FLY.
TRUST ME, I AM CONTINUING TO LEARN THINGS. That's part of the fun, too.

A roc like your BBII may disappear, even on maiden flight. Don't let that get you down if it happens. Stand up, salute it bye-bye, and go home to build another one, or better yet, launch what you have left. It takes the edge off losing one.

This is the one thing I know I have down pat already. I shoot archery and its nothing to lose a dozen or two arrows during a weekend. I just smile think of the fun and go home to make another dozen or two.

I have a limited amount of room for storing rockets so I figure, hey if I lose 1 or 2, just a good reason to build a couple more. :)

Back