4th Annual TRF Reunion - April 22-23, 2006 - Whitakers, NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does the Charlotte club fly? could we use their field?

I think orangeburg May 13-14 would be good, it's a great field.

one of the MD clubs?

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in resheduling this.

Originally posted by sandman
I still haven't changed my plans.

Is there any progress or hope for finding a field?

Is it possible for us to just get together anyway? Hey, what would we do if it rained?

I know it would be short notice to find a high power filed but how about low and mid power?
Check out the NC-Rockets list (https://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/nc-rockets) for some discussion of new fields. There's a possible field that's being looked into near where the old field was and pretty darn big too.
Reed

Well, I made a subscription request to the Nc-Rockets so I guess I have to wait to find out.

Can someone give me a brief idea what they may have?

So far I'm still going!

The next Orangeburg launch on April 8 & 9 is a Tripoli Research Launch.

Originally posted by sandman
Well, I made a subscription request to the Nc-Rockets so I guess I have to wait to find out.

Can someone give me a brief idea what they may have?

So far I'm still going!
This is the message from John Hammil:
"i am looking at some possable long term launch sites
about 20 miles from the old whitakers field. trying to
track down the owners. this is a clear track of land
about twice as big as whitakers and its all one giant
field .

will keep you posted

bird dog"
I like the sound of it..
Reed:D

Originally posted by efenton
The next Orangeburg launch on April 8 & 9 is a Tripoli Research Launch.

one of the reasons i suggested the May launch! ;)

The May launch is commercial. The Savannah Science Seminar students will be flying their rockets at this launch Saturday.

Hey Gang,

I just got back from Whitakers today and all I can say is WOW! 1000 acres looks a lot different when plowed under. A few of us gathered to dismantle one of the larger launch towers and tote it out. One more to go.
We still haven't been in direct contact with the land operator but all may not be as dreary as we originally thought. Word is that we may have only lost the use of the field for a period of time. We are still looking into securing other launch sites as a back-up but needless to say we won't be ready for the annual TRF gathering. Regardless, we'll be back in business sooner or later. Stay turned to nc-rockets or https://www.colonialvirginiahpr.org/whitakers.html for details as they become available.

For those of you not keeping up with the NC Rockets list, here's some news from Alan Whitmore:
Today, Dennis Hill, Paul Hoetjes, Ed Rowe and myself met at the field to disassemble Ed's tower and think about how we are going to get the remnants of the old Bigger Dawg tower out of the field.

Other information has been uncovered. The lease-holder has not evicted us, and is not opposed to rocketry activities continuing on his field, it just can't destroy the corn crop. There is a strong possibility that WELD and, perhaps, the April 2-day event can be held in the field across the road, then we would have to shut down until the corn is harvested.

Also, (and this is second-hand information, so don't get your hopes up too much) we hear that the lease-holder plans to grow corn for one season and then turn it back into a cow-pasture, at which point year-round operations might be resumed.
Reed

Yes there is hope! There is a good chance we may be able to use the field across the street for the April launches. We would be launching from the dirt access road that runs up the middle of the field. More than ample recovery area in all directions. Keep an eye on nc-rockets for updates.

Originally posted by Adam Selene
Where does the Charlotte club fly? could we use their field?

I think orangeburg May 13-14 would be good, it's a great field.

one of the MD clubs?

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in resheduling this.

We have a nice little field outside of town on a farm. We can fly up to K's there, 5K wavier.

We've never really hosted an event, other than our annual "ROCCtoberfest" launch and spring/summer camping launches, all of which aren't much different than a regular monthly launch, aside from the amount of participants.

It's a great little club...but there's only a couple of us on TRF.

www.rocketrycarolina.org

Originally posted by marvSRG

We've never really hosted an event, other than our annual "ROCCtoberfest" launch and spring/summer camping launches, all of which aren't much different than a regular monthly launch, aside from the amount of participants.

That's true of whitakers too, the TRF crowd just means more people and more fun!

i guess we're waiting to hear more from PAH.

Originally posted by PAH
Yes there is hope! There is a good chance we may be able to use the field across the street for the April launches. We would be launching from the dirt access road that runs up the middle of the field. More than ample recovery area in all directions. Keep an eye on nc-rockets for updates.

Could this mean the TRF launch might be back on track?

I don't want to jump the gun, but it is quite possible that we will still hold it, it may just be on the other side of the road.
Reed

Good news! The Whitakers launches in April are a go!

We can use either field and just need to take care not to damage the crops if any are planted by then. Sorry for the scare just before the annual gathering, it was a shock for us too.

I look forward to seeing you all there for the 4th annual TRF gathering at Whitakers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's Great!!!

I think I would suggest everyone bring their Wellys!

(rubber boots to us Yanks;) )

So if it rains before the launch I probably shouldn't bother to wash my truck before I go.

That'll save me some time.

Great news.... We're back on. Kathy and I are planning on coming down Friday for flying and socializing all day Sat and Sun

jim

YEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy will b happy too :D

Hey, will anyone who is going to be there on Sunday happen to have a Canon 20d that I could look at/take a couple shots with. I plan on buying one in May and I want to test one out before I buy it. It won't be much, just enough to get a feel for the camera.
Thanks,
Reed

wouldn't MC2 be a better choice for a regional TRF meet? . It only makes sense as it's much more in the middle of the entire southern region.

Everyone's had an opinion of where it should be held. Heck, I'd love to see it be somewhere like Black Rock where people would post websites about the insane projects they're doing for the TRF launch. If your goal is just to find a "central" place for a TRF launch though, Argonia, St. Louis or wherever Tripoli Quad Cities launch in Illinois would be even more preferable than MC2. It's not really a regional launch, it's the annual TRF get together. Someday, I hope to hear about our British members coming across the pond to chime in, or the Australian ones.

The founders (wish I were one of them or close enough to participate every year) are from the NC area, so Whitakers it is. While I'm now about to be 1 for 4 on attendance, I think it's right where it belongs, unless or until the site becomes unavailable. Even if I don't get to attend that often.

Back