4th Annual TRF Reunion - April 22-23, 2006 - Whitakers, NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenParker

Reaction score
Has it been almost 4 years already? Must be, because.....

The 4th annual TRF reunion will be held at Whitakers, NC on the weekend of April 22nd and 23rd, 2006.

While the TRF admins/mods attendance list is not set in stone at this point, we’re pretty sure that the following TRF staff will be in attendance:

CTulanko - Carl Tulanko
KenParker - Ken Parker
MarkABrown - Mark Brown
Rocketmaniac - Randy Trotter (health permitting)
rstaff3 - Dick Stafford
PGerringer - Phil Gerringer
Bowhunter - Warren Evans - 90% probability

TRF mods and admins that can't attend the 4th annual reunion:
KermieD
eugenefl - Eugenio Cebollero

As I hear from additional mods and admins, I will edit the above list.

Most of the TRF staff will be staying at the Super8 Motel off of exit 145 of I-95. The Super8 Motel 2004 International Directory lists the motel as being in Rocky Mount, NC located at I-95 exit 145 and Swift Creek Road. The business card that I picked up out of the lobby of the motel lists the motel as being at 7522 Goldrock Road, Battleboro, NC. The direct phone numbers for the motel from the directory and off of the business card are the same and are (252) 442-8075 / Fax (252) 442-8075 (yes, the phone and fax numbers are the same). The toll free reservations line for Super8 is 1-800-800-8000. Sometimes you can get a discount by mentioning that you are staying in association with the model rocket launch scheduled for the weekend – but you better call the direct hotel number if you are going to try that.

Here is a web site that will provide you with information about the Whitakers launch site.

https://www.colonialvirginiahpr.org/whitakers.html

The web site also contains directions, information on alternate motels, etc. The standard FAA waiver is for 8,000’. There is a call-in provision for activating a 12,000’ waiver for 30 minutes. If you are planning on using that provision, please notify one of the prefects in advance. Contact information for the prefects is available from the web site.

If enough people are interested, we will try to arrange a group dinner for Friday night. Previously we have held the dinner at Mama’s Pizza and Italian Restaurant. Good pizza, Italian dishes, subs, etc. If you are interested in meeting for dinner Friday night, please leave a reply to this post so that we can get some kind of count for making a reservation.

Hope to see y’all there!

Ken Parker, TRF admin

OK, I'm going to try my DARNDEST to make it this year!

I may have a conflict with my TARC team. They have invited me to their launch (even gave me airline tickets!) in Huntsville, Alabama and I think that's in April too.

Hey, Kermie, you gonna make it?

i might make it down this year...i was planning on going to NERRF, but there's a marriage in the family on that weekend...i drove down to SC over the summer, so im fairly confident in my ability to get there...just have to budget it.

Wow, I wish I could get there, but Google Earth estimates it's a nearly 14 hour drive from where I am :(. We'll just have to see what happens.

Unfortunately, I cannot make it Sandman. My cousin is getting married in Orlando at the end of February and that's going to pretty much eat up my travel budget for '06.

I will do my best to come again this year, though there might be a conflict with my High School Prom. Last time I skipped Prom for this launch, but I pretty much have to go as a Senior;) Hopefully it will be on a different weekend.
Reed

I am planning to attend, should be great fun. I had a great time last year, my first TRF launch and my first visit to Whitakers.

I will try to get there by dinner time Friday as I did last year and attend the TRF group dinner.

Barring something unforeseen, I'll be there. Maybe even for BOTH days! A record for me!

I'm in the same boat as KermieD. I only get 5 vacation days a year. (I need to move to France.) I will more than likely get married this year or travel someplace in Europe. There's not much I can do with 5 days. I wish N. Carolina was closer. :( I'm a good 13 hours away too.

I would need a lot more than extra vacation time to move to France.

I haven't made one yet and I'm so darn close! Seems like family events keep getting in the way but I am sure going to try to make it this year!

Originally posted by sandman
OK, I'm going to try my DARNDEST to make it this year!

I may have a conflict with my TARC team. They have invited me to their launch (even gave me airline tickets!) in Huntsville, Alabama and I think that's in April too.

Hey, Kermie, you gonna make it?

You're coming to Huntsville, Alabama? Oh, man. Who's your tarc team?

I missed out on previous reunions... is there a particular format, or an itinerary of sorts for this event?
What did you guys do in past years?

not really. we just get together and have fun with rockets.
closest thing to an itinerary is: dinner friday night for those that wish to go, flying and bsing about rockets on saturday, some folks get together for dinner saturday night, flying and bsing about rockets on on sunday. And oh yeah, making cow jokes at Phil's expense!
always a great bunch of people.

Well, if I can come then I will try to open the launch like I did last time by landing one of my rockets on a cow. That is actually a scary feeling because of the danger for the rocket, but it was soo funny...
Reed

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
Well, if I can come then I will try to open the launch like I did last time by landing one of my rockets on a cow. That is actually a scary feeling because of the danger for the rocket, but it was soo funny...
Reed

The Mooo did not seem to think it funny the way she jumped and they all ran away.

Well, folks, looks like Prom is on the night of 4/22, so looks like I won't be able to make it. Sorry. That's a bummer.
Reed

There is light in the hope tunnel. I might be able to make it to Whitakers this year after all. My current job offers TEN days of vacation, not 5 like last year. Of course, I might be moving to NC in the coming month or two so I could just drive right on over! :D

Okay, well I guess there is the option of me coming out for Sunday only. I will have to talk with my dad about this since he would be coming along, probably driving.
Reed

A little more than a month away!

Who's going?

I have an 800+ mile drive so I wanna know!

So far I know Carl from SEMROC will be there.

My attendance will be questionable. If I do go, it will only be for Sunday. I might have my One-eyed Jack ready by then, but I'm not sure. If I do have it, it'll be going up on a H144. Should be cool.
Reed

I can't unfortunately - it's just too far.

Back