4" Auqa Teen Hunger Force (Super Stubby) Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My shift is 3:30pm - 12:00am. But when I'm sitting in my office at 11:30pm getting ready to do my paperwork and a nursing home resident falls out of their bed or wheelchair in Macclenny (62 miles round trip), guess who has to go and perform the x-rays? Many times I've pulled into my driveway after 2:00am. It's why they pay me the big bucks! Big bucks in this case is an 8% shift differential.

Well, now I'm off to work my weekend shift.

The sheet ply method didn't work as well as planned. It looks like I'm going to have to cut the fins first; then ply them.

@ judo: I can relate to being on call. I used to work for a terminally ill person. Luckily I lived in their driveway, but that didn't lessen the urgency. I also had to adjust my wages for such services.

I actually got off my butt today (well yesterday now) an went and bought a razor saw so that I could make the fins. So here's pictures of the first fin set, first and second, ply fin close-up, ply fin set and first coat of stain.

I actually got off my butt today (well yesterday now) an went and bought a razor saw so that I could make the fins. So here's pictures of the first fin set, first and second, ply fin close-up, ply fin set and first coat of stain.

First fin set.jpg

First & second fin set.jpg

Plyed fin edge.jpg

Ply fins.jpg

Fins stained one coat.jpg

Here's the second coat of stain. Yay! I thought I'd have enough time for fin attachment tonight but nope I don't. I give it a go tomorrow.

Fins second coat stain.jpg

I know its too late, but wow those fins look heavy! Maybe consider a hollow core? (Is there such thing?) Maybe like an outer ply, an inner built around the perimeter, then the other outer? Like a hollow-core door? Just a thought. :confused2:

hollowcoredoor.jpg

It's all good McKaila's Dad. I like your I idea. I wonder how much it'd weight though. Maybe I'll give it a go next scratch build, but I'm sure you'll beat me to the punch.

Update: I got two fins on. Pictures will be a bit I lent it out. I might just start on staining and whatnot for the nose cone. I have to be honest; I'm dreading it. I bet the tedium of shingle placement will be more maddening then the body tube planks. We'll see. I keep you all following posted.

Im absolutely guessing, but those fins have to be about 8+ grams each. Howd I do?

Figure for what motor yet?

Im not trying to be pushy, just curious. Its just one of the most original designs I've seen - A 6FSNC. (six finned, shingled nose cone! :p)

~the "Bulldozer"

LOL The funny thing is I haven't weighted any of them. I can if you like. The motor is unknown till I weight it as a whole. I kind of like the mystery. I possibly will be going with a cluster. I'll let you know.

Here's the fins in two different perspectives and the fin alignment guide.

Update: Will start staining balsa for shingles tonight. I'm still nervous about a little

Fins attached arse end.jpg

Fins attached wide view.jpg

Ghetto fin alignment guide.jpg

I appreciate the support seriously. BTW you a ATHF? Just curious.

Last edited:
I finally got the fins done, minus the fillets. I also have the first set of shingles cut, as well as, the window trim. I plan on starting shingling tonight.

I put in some bonus pictures of the Roachwerks Nose Cone I sadly have to shingle. Sandman makes some great works of art. :clap:

Enjoy.

Fins complete arse end.jpg

Fins complete Wide view.jpg

First shingle set and window trim.jpg

Nose Cone Wide view.jpg

None Cone Authentication.jpg

I'm afraid the shingle material I choose was to thick so I'll have to delay it a bit. Until I can get down to the hobby store for thinner stuff. The bonus is I'll save on weight. So soon enough.

All of you: Thanks in advance for your patience.

I'm afraid the shingle material I choose was to thick so I'll have to delay it a bit. Until I can get down to the hobby store for thinner stuff. The bonus is I'll save on weight. So soon enough.

All of you: Thanks in advance for your patience.

Everybody knows...OK everybody use to know that shingles are made of split cedar.

Have you tried cedar?

It's soft, light easily bent to shape and it smells like pencils!;)

Or since it's just "shingles" for looks, try some veneer. Just cut it with scissors.

I get scraps from my local cabinet shop. PM me and I can mail you some.

Last edited:
Hey...I see you are from Holland. Any chance we are going to see and this cool little rocket and you at a Michiana launch this fall? We have a few folks from that area.

-Dave

I would be totally down for that. I think it'd be sick! :D
As long as I get it done in time and can hitch or find a ride there. :confused2:

Everybody knows...OK everybody use to know that shingles are made of split cedar.

Have you tried cedar?

It's soft, light easily bent to shape and it smells like pencils!;)

Or since it's just "shingles" for looks, try some veneer. Just cut it with scissors.

I get scraps from my local cabinet shop. PM me and I can mail you some.

The Sandman gave you a very good idea. Are you going to use it?

The Sandman gave you a very good idea. Are you going to use it?

I'm sending him some veneer today.

Just stain it to look like cedar. Sorta reddish brown, I think its maple...don't know for sure, the local cabinet shop just gave me a handful of stuff.

I'll be giving the veneer a go. I'm sure it'll be here no later then Saturday. Luckily Sandman and I live in Michigan.

I would be totally down for that. I think it'd be sick! :D
As long as I get it done in time and can hitch or find a ride there. :confused2:

Well, we launch once a month throughout the winter until April so you have plenty of time. :cool:

Back