4" Auqa Teen Hunger Force (Super Stubby) Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, I'll post as my progress goes. So far tonight I started with the body tube planking. Here's a picture I attached of the raw I started with. It is a 36 X 1/32" balsa sheet.

Wide view of wood.jpg

Here's an attached close-up of the raw after I sanded it with #600 grit and tack clothed it.

Raw wood.jpg

After 2 in 1 stain. I'm afraid that's all I had time for tonight. It needs to dry overnight. I'll put one more coat on it tomorrow. I'll post results. Then on to the next step.

First coat stain.jpg

Pem Tech said:
This is going to be great...

I'm thinking the same!

Mkmilion may have to explain, to some of our 'senior' members, exactly who Aqua Teen Hunger Force is...(no offense)

Definatly not something you would let your kids, (or grandkids:D) watch!

My wife usually leaves to go read a book, or do the dishes, balance the checkbook, redo the grout, or get a root canal, if I watch it. Certainly an aquired taste. Pretty twisted :eek:

I think that's why only you two posted so far. That and the pictures are sort of lame right now. I'll definitely be glad to (g-rated) explain who ATHF is to the senior members. McKaila's Dad I second it's acquired tastiness. Heck if I had more time to build I could have put it in this month's contest. Considering Abraham Lincoln built this rocket. I doubt they'd let me in on that technicality. Oh well.

Here's my picture of the day a second coat of 2 in 1 stain. Yay! Tomorrow I promise it'll be more exciting. I also love creating suspense. No actually that's all I have time for. I have to wait, yet again for it to dry.

Second Coat Stain.jpg

I have never personally seen (or heard of) ATHF prior to this thread, but am now a fan of their rocket. Thanks for bringing this bit of culture to the masses. Looking forward to following your build.

P.S. TMNT used to be on the fringe, also. Now, they're main stream.

I guess now we may have to explain TMNT to him...

That would be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ;)

Perfecty acceptable, G/PG rated. Usually no gagging involved, and probably wont cause nightmares, unless you have a bad case of Chelonaphobia.

So, mkmilion, that stain dry YET? C'mon, don't leave us hangin...

I have to say I know it's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm sorry for the delay. Recently lightning hit my house and fried everything connected to co-axial. It killed my router and modem. I had to wait this long to get a technician over for repairs. Not to mention, I wasn't the only victim. Lightning also hit this area's cable hub.

All is not lost. I still worked on it and took pictures. I still plan on posting daily progress to the best that time will allow.

So on with the pictures.

Here's a picture after the stain had dried where I cut the balsa into strips.

Width cut strips.jpg

Close up of plank set #1-#5. BTW I just learned that I can attach more than one picture so I'll cut the posts a bit.

#1 Set.jpg

#2 Set.jpg

#3 Set.jpg

#4 Set.jpg

#5 Set.jpg

When I wanted to cut the tube, I wanted to be precise. So I made a quick tube cutter. Since the 2x's are on loan I made it to be dismantled easily. Here's a picture of it in wide and close-up.

Tube Cutter.jpg

Tube Cutter close up.jpg

A picture after I cut the tube and the reference line I drew for the planks.

Cut Tube.jpg

Reference Line.jpg

Picture of me coloring the edges of a plank. I did this to all of them.

Edge Coloring.jpg

Progressive pictures of the applied planks on the body tube. I'm afraid I'm still in this process right now. It's tedious and time consuming. I'll keep giving it a go. This is plank sets #1, #3-#6. The reason I stop taking pictures of this process: is the camera's perspective can only see up to 6 planks at a time. That and I figure you get the idea.

Applied #1.jpg

Applied #3.jpg

Applied #4.jpg

Applied #5.jpg

Applied #6.jpg

I admit, I haven't seen that many rockets, ok, a fair share. Cardboard, fiberglass, and even carbon fiber tubes, but never, I say never have I seen a 'planked' -balsa-layered one. Very cool! Now, please, if you will, keep building!

If you build it, it will fly!

Assemble, add nose weight (start heavy*) and swing test. *I use plumbers putty, easy to add or remove weight, and easy to form...:2:

Awfully pushy, but I understand. I miss calculated how many plank panels I need to cover the rocket. My math was right, but that's what you get when you use a perspective drawing (the only one in existence). I have about 5 1/2 panels to go and a sliver panel. The silver panel's width is yet to be determined.

As for nose weight. I plan on custom smelting lead cylinders. Spared no expense, because this is going to be my pride and joy.

I don't have to tell you about my obsessive/compulsive with precision. ;) LOL

@ dixontj93060: Thanks! :)

Update: I should be finished with planking the body tube either later tonight (04:00 hours-ish) or tomorrow around that time. I work second shift @ 4x10 hours/week.

I am done with the planking. (sigh) I realize that I'm over my personal deadline I had, but I'm afraid it's more tedious that one could imagine.

I did start on the fins set-up. I am going to be making them out of balsa ply. So here are some nice and juicy pictures of: 2 sheets of balsa, glued together sheets, and the compression method I did.

2 sheets.jpg

Glued sheets.jpg

Ply compression.jpg

4X10. Sweet when you can find it. And here's to all us second shifter's: :cheers:

LOL Thanks judo. I needed that morale boost. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one in the world that thinks 2nd nor under the notion that everyone is on first shift.

Back