3D Printing 3D Prints and Hot Cars in the Summer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will post pics. So far, the thicker wall nose cones light not have deformed. Anything with a round and thin shell of 1-3 layers is no longer round.

Ok. I am going to test this differently. The car is imprecise. I m going to use my oven.

Any thoughts.

ALL PLAs warp in high heat, and this is especially common with thinner walls and lower infill. What has been discovered so far is that thicker parts with a high infill tend to warp less in the sun. This is even true with standard PLA. That being said, they will all warp with longer exposure.

Update: I am going to have to start over on the PLA prints. I had decent results and my son sat on them a few days ago. Guess what? They warped and they cracked.

PLA and summer heat do not play well together - doesn’t require a hot car.

I put up a few bird houses, and thought I had used ASA for the mounts - the roll was PLA. Two days out in the heat and they warped horribly.

Installed birdhouse

IMG_6546_Original.jpeg

20230713_184219_Original.jpeg
WARPED….
20230713_184214_Original.jpeg

Hey, all,
I just bought a 3D printer on the Black Friday sale.

Really interested if there was any more testing done on the temperature resistance.
What printer did you buy?

Elegoo Neptune 4
That looks like a great printer, and it looks like you got a good deal. I spent more on my Ender 5 a few years ago and I’ve been constantly upgrading it to get basically the machine you just bought for less.

I suggest just printing in PLA or PLA+ at the beginning. It just works. Once you start exploring other materials, I highly recommend CF-infused nylon. It looks like your printer should handle it easily. The only issue (besides price) will be build plate adhesion, and this should fix that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a great printer, and it looks like you got a good deal. I spent more on my Ender 5 a few years ago and I’ve been constantly upgrading it to get basically the machine you just bought for less.

I suggest just printing in PLA or PLA+ at the beginning. It just works. Once you start exploring other materials, I highly recommend CF-infused nylon. It looks like your printer should handle it easily. The only issue (besides price) will be build plate adhesion, and this should fix that.
Thanks, BDB, I appreciate your comments. They help to make me feel more comfortable about my choice.

The plan is to get my feet wet using PLA+ to figure out how all this works.
I also bought a spool of PETG because it was on sale to use down the road.

I was wondering about nylons. Thank you for letting me know it is worth trying with my printer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magigoo is a great product. Just do a small test print to ensure you do not get over-adhesion.

Magigoo is a great product. Just do a small test print to ensure you do not get over-adhesion.
I will keep that in mind.
I was sent a glue stick of Elegoo branded PVP, but I do not know that I will need it any time soon.... I have really good adhesion with PLA+ right now... sometimes it takes more force than I thought it would to remove the prints... but I think that is a good thing.

I will keep that in mind.
I was sent a glue stick of Elegoo branded PVP, but I do not know that I will need it any time soon.... I have really good adhesion with PLA+ right now... sometimes it takes more force than I thought it would to remove the prints... but I think that is a good thing.
I have had good experience with petg, better with annealing

Last edited:
Back