3D Printing 3D Printing Timelapse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
On my main youtube channel Canine Roccket Technologies, I like to keep that production value high! So I wanted to make a timelapse of running my 3d printer. Not a fan of just a camera taking a timelapse of a printer, I wanted more of a print growing effect. Since the buildplate is stationary, I thought it would be good enough to slap on a camera and record. But sticking a gopro onto the buildplate just made a super dizzy effect.

Boy I might get motion sickness watching that! The whole goal was to get a cool timelapse without designing my own rig...but me being me I ended up spending a day doing that. I dived into my electronics box, fished out a old computer switch, found a audio jack that fits into the remot shutter output on a camera, and finally modified the G code on my print settings after finding it on the Prusa website. I then hopped over to Fusion 360 and modified someone elses switch mount since I was using a random computer switch. My sister let me borrow her DSLR which was the only camera I could find with a remote shutter output. If I had to use my own, I would build a servo mechanism controlled my a arduino to press the shutter. I printed a nose cone as a test and it BLEW MY MIND

As planned the extruder head hit the button perfectly after every layer! Okay so for the final shot for my video I turned on some sick blue lights, and wrapped some paper around the inside of the enclosure to get some beautiful shots. I can't show them because they're for my videos, but I hope this was entertaining! Also I suggest you try this for your printer too! A fun weekend project!

20200229_150439.jpeg
The switch mech^

download_20200317_154032.jpeg
The final setup^

Last edited:
My cat watched the video intently, then went back to cleaning his fur. Consider it a success.

On my main youtube channel Canine Roccket Technologies, I like to keep that production value high! So I wanted to make a timelapse of running my 3d printer. Not a fan of just a camera taking a timelapse of a printer, I wanted more of a print growing effect. Since the buildplate is stationary, I thought it would be good enough to slap on a camera and record. But sticking a gopro onto the buildplate just made a super dizzy effect.

Boy I might get motion sickness watching that! The whole goal was to get a cool timelapse without designing my own rig...but me being me I ended up spending a day doing that. I dived into my electronics box, fished out a old computer switch, found a audio jack that fits into the remot shutter output on a camera, and finally modified the G code on my print settings after finding it on the Prusa website. I then hopped over to Fusion 360 and modified someone elses switch mount since I was using a random computer switch. My sister let me borrow her DSLR which was the only camera I could find with a remote shutter output. If I had to use my own, I would build a servo mechanism controlled my a arduino to press the shutter. I printed a nose cone as a test and it BLEW MY MIND

As planned the extruder head hit the button perfectly after every layer! Okay so for the final shot for my video I turned on some sick blue lights, and wrapped some paper around the inside of the enclosure to get some beautiful shots. I can't show them because they're for my videos, but I hope this was entertaining! Also I suggest you try this for your printer too! A fun weekend project!

View attachment 409449
The switch mech^

View attachment 409450
The final setup^

Didn't know you wore on the form. I am on my ''dads''(I put the wrong name on it) account right know its INEX from YouTube. Cool time lapse!!!

LOL, all that and yet they still sniff everyone's butt and eat "almond roca" (cat turds rolled in kitty litter) :)
And have you seen your bank card lately?90352959_1646029575539480_9079592148285784064_n.jpg

Back